Flu vaccine strikes again

• October 26, 2019 at 9:35 am

I was diagnosed with GBS three weeks ago. It hit me out of the blue, ten days after getting the annual flu shot, and the doctors have attributed the GBS to a reaction to the vaccine. One twist in my case is that I received the shingles vaccine (shingrix) at the same time. It may be a coincidence, but I can’t help but wonder whether it was the combo that caused this (it was two separate shots). The shingles vaccine left me a bit rundown the next day (which is common), but I wonder whether this helped to cause the GBS.

• October 28, 2019 at 10:12 pm

Just to add to my initial post, the neurologist who diagnosed and treated me at the hospital recommended no more flue shots and to not get the second dose of shingrix.

I’ve seen multiple places to record the reaction, which I found confusing. where do people recommend that I do this?

Also, do people recommend going through the vaccine fund petition process? What kind of documentation is needed and what does the process involve? I’m still three weeks since onset, so I’m in no hurry to throw myself into anything new. I’ve got enough to deal with with my rehab, navigating HMO and hospital bureaucracies, etc.

• October 28, 2019 at 11:48 pm

There are numerous discussion threads in these forums about getting GBS from flu shots and how to file for compensation from the VICP. You can do various keyword searches in the forums to find them all. Here are but a few of the more recent threads:

File a lawsuit against vaccine fund

GBS caused by H1N1 of the 1970's ?

Metal toxicity

Is Flue vaccine safe after GBS