hope you can help

• Anonymous
      October 14, 2006 at 1:13 pm

Hi, This is the first time I have posted so please bear with me.
      I am hoping for some help really.
      When I was 18 ( a few years ago 😉 ) I spent 6 weeks in hospital with GBS. Thankfully I made a full recovery.
      The reason I am posting is that I am now doing a collage course and have to do a dissertation. GBS is something I have always taken a keen interest in so it was the natural choice.
      I was hoping that some members would be able to speak to me about their experiences, I am particularly interested in GBS in pregnancy as I hope to go on to do a Midwifery Degree.
      I am based in the UK but it would be great to hear from different countries so if you can help me please e-mail me.

• Anonymous
      October 19, 2006 at 10:52 pm

I Became Pregnant In 2003 Two Yrs In Gbs. I Experienced A Normal Pregnancy And Delivery. I Could Feel All Pain And Pressure The Only Difference Was A Could Not Walk. And My Regular Dr Did Not Let Me Have A German Measle Vaccine They Give To Women Of Child Bearing Age After Delivery (i Live In The Usa) I Would Be Happy To Answer Any Questions. Thank You Stronger By Day

• Anonymous
      January 13, 2007 at 5:20 pm

1981 I was a week from delivery and came down with GBS. My son was born C-section and was very healthy. He is now 6’3″ and 280lbs. It did not hurt him a bit.:D By the time he was 6 days old I was on a vent. I was very lucky to be in Akron Ohio at the time. My neuro was on of 5 in the US that was using PP in GBS. I feel it saved my life and my legs. My Dr dx the first day ( a miracle) and I got PP that night.

It was 9 months before I could take care of myself and my son for a few hours without help. Before that I was blesses with family and friends that came and took care of all of our needs.

In 1981 the rule was no more children when you had GBS with a pregnancy. So I had my tubes tied. We thought we would adopt 4 or 5 more. Since there was so little information then the adoption agency would not let us have a child. They said they couldn’t be sure I would be around to care for it.

Now 26 years later the information is published and is all good. Have good care and have more kids! I also feel it is because of all the work the GBS/CIDP Foundation has done in all these years. I enjoy helping the foundation today and helping the new patients and their loved ones.

• Anonymous
      February 16, 2007 at 10:21 pm

I experienced the onset of GBS in Sept 2005 and was on a respirator within a week. I am now 27 weeks pregnant with my second child (first was born Feb 2005). I have been more tired with this pregnancy than with my first but that is probably because I am chasing a toddler around this time. The neuropathy in my legs has worsened with the pregnancy but I hope it gets better after the baby is born.

• Anonymous
      March 8, 2007 at 9:45 am

If you still need some stories … here is my story. Let me know if you want more details.

When I was 28 weeks pregnant, my feet started going numb. I thought it was just cause they were so swollen. Then a couple days later, my face and my abdomen. That day I had an appointment with my OB. He wasnt sure but thought since my blood pressure was high and I was just diagnost with gestational diabetes and my sugar was out of whack that it was making me feel funny.

Later that day, the numbness got worse. It was into my privates and more numb everywhere. So I went to the hospital. They werent sure either so they kept me there. Over the next few days I lost strength but could still walk but my hands were very tingly. Then all of a sudden I woke up and my face stopped moving. FINALLY, they took me seriuosly. They sent me to a bigger hospital to see a neurologist. Within a few hours they told me they thought it was GBS.

The next day they did a spinal tap to confirm.

Started IVIG the next day for 5 days.

BUT, the hospital i was at was not equiped to handle my baby should they have to deliver it early. SO i was transferred to the critical care centre at another hospital. They went to put those stocking things on and by this point I hadn’t shaved my legs in a while. It felt like they were RIPPING the hair out when they were putting them on and I couldnt understand it. I guess it was just the pain from the GBS.

Eventually, I couldnt walk. I couldnt lift my legs so if one fell off the bed I needed help to get it back on. I couldn’t roll over. Using my arms was tiring but I could still move them to eat and such but food was all liquid and tasted awful.

I am a large woman but I lost 40 lbs over the month and a half I was in the hospital. Not ideal while you are pregnant but what can you do.

Overall, they did ultrasounds every other day, fetal heart checks 3 times a day, and non stress test every day to make sure the baby was okay.

I was given steriods for the baby in case of early delivery.

I was on a variety of drugs for the bp and diabetes as well as heprin but only the odd tylenol for pain.

I went home at 34 weeks with a walker and my mom staying with me 24-7. Within a week I was using a cane and then a week later walking on my own … slow but I could do it but not far. Then I was even doing the stairs at home!!!

I ended up having a vaginal delivery at 39 weeks (induced due to abnormal ultrasound where they thought there wasnt enough fluid).

Baby was fine and I was SO relieved!

I was however told that I shouldnt have an epidural because they werent sure if it would trigger the GBS.

After the delivery, I was surprised at how well I felt strength wise. So I think a lot of my fatigue at the end of the pregnancy were more pregnancy related than GBS related.

Hope this helps!

Sharon

hope you can help

• Anonymous
      October 14, 2006 at 1:12 pm

Hi, This is the first time I have posted so please bear with me.
      I am hoping for some help really.
      When I was 18 ( a few years ago 😉 ) I spent 6 weeks in hospital with GBS. Thankfully I made a full recovery.
      The reason I am posting is that I am now doing a collage course and have to do a dissertation. GBS is something I have always taken a keen interest in so it was the natural choice.
      I was hoping that some members would be able to speak to me about their experiences, I am particularly interested in GBS in pregnancy as I hope to go on to do a Midwifery Degree.
      I am based in the UK but it would be great to hear from different countries so if you can help me please e-mail me.