Metal toxicity

• July 12, 2015 at 12:16 am

I was wondering if anyone has ever had a medical professional mention metal toxicity as a cause for GBS. I recently spoke to a trainer from a professional hockey team and she mentioned that there was evidence that supported this cause.
      Anyways if anyone has heard similar information please let me know

Thanks

• GH
      July 13, 2015 at 5:54 pm

GBS is not caused by metal toxicity. It is likely dependent on the particular makeup of the individual and is triggered by an infection which causes an immune response which attacks the nerves as a side effect of attacking the infection. This is known as an autoimmune response.

It is not helpful in trying to understand GBS to listen to quacks.

• July 13, 2015 at 10:16 pm

Well thanks for the response GH but I think you are way off base calling this person a quack. The person I spoke with is a professional and was just trying to offer some information that they had read regarding GBS. They offered advice regarding causes such as infection, certain vaccines and other things such as metal toxicity. And the fact that nobody knows what truly causes GBS makes me think that we should try and look into anything that has even a hint of validity. So far experts have come up with causes such as vaccines or infections and food poisoning but that only accounts for half of the people that are diagnosed with this terrible syndrome, so what is causing it in the other half? Who knows maybe it is a combination of any number of things.
      Anyways my point is that anyone willing to offer assistance and support should be treated with respect.

• GH
      July 14, 2015 at 12:28 pm

Ideopathic cases of GBS are likely caused by infections. An infection does not have to have a clinical manifestation in order to trigger GBS. By the time GBS is evident, the infection is gone. The specific cause is not known, but it is not much of a mystery. The real mystery is why some people will develop GBS from an infection when most people will not.

It is known that the incidence of GBS is not influenced by vaccinations of any kind.

• July 14, 2015 at 8:10 pm

According to the just published CIDP Foundation Summer 2015 newsletter “…While its true that that the Flu vaccine can raise your GBS risk …”

The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) website states “… they may develop GBS in the days or weeks after getting a vaccination.”

The US Department of Health and Human Services created the National Vaccine Injury Compensation Program (VICP) in recognition that, in part, Flu shots can cause GBS and related auto-immune disease. The CDC helped found the Vaccine Injury Compensation Trust Fund to provide compensation for those injured. The program is actively administered by the US Federal Court of Claims.

Those of us who already have broken autoimmune systems which know how to produce the GBS/CIDP antibodies, are more at risk than the general public for having a relapse of this terrible disease from a flu shot.

• July 15, 2015 at 7:17 pm

Jim-LA, I don’t think anybody who has had GBS should EVER have a flu shot. I know that my doctor will not give me one. Not that I ever got them, anyway.

Since I got GBS, some members of my family will not take flu shots anymore, either. They are afraid that they could get GBS too because we share DNA.

Jerkbrown, I agree with you about anyone trying to help should be treated with respect.

• GH
      July 15, 2015 at 9:17 pm

Jim-LA, you seem to misunderstand the Vaccine Injury Compensation Program. The purpose of the program is to encourage vaccination. The VICP does not “recognize” that flu shots can cause GBS. In fact, inb order to receive compensation from the VICP for GBS after a flu shot, one must sign a stipulation which says that the VICP does not stipulate that the flu shot was the cause of GBS. YOU don’t have to sign if you take the case to court, but that is not a good ide, because chances are you will lose. That is because there is no evidence that the fluu vaccine is a cause of GBS.

• GH
      July 15, 2015 at 9:31 pm

azgold, I disagree. The recommendation of the CDC is that a history of GBS shortly after Receiving a flu shot is a precaution, not a contraindication. That means that one should consider the risks and benefits. For those whose GBS did not follow very soon after a flu shot, there is no precaution.

I am classified as CIDP, but my case resembles GBS more than typical CIDP in some respects. I had never had a flu shot before deloping CIDP, so there is no question that the flu shot was not a factor. Since recovering (mostly) from CIDP, I have started getting annual flu shots. I do this because my age puts me in a higher risk category, and because since being seriously ill I am now more aware of health issues. Because I was immune-compromised (due to taking Cellcept) and because of my age, I take the high-dosage flu vaccine every year. I have had no side effects from the vaccine. The flu vaccinne does not cause GBS (or CIDP). The incidence of these disorders is the same for people who are vaccinated and those who are not.

• July 15, 2015 at 11:06 pm

There are hundreds of voices here in the forums that say the Flu shot preceded their case of GBS/CIDP. Many of these reports are evidence-based or concluded from first hand experience. The reports are overwhelmingly con Flu shots. Only a handful of voices are pro Flu shots, GH being one of those.

Some of the voices here are not up to date as to the developing scene surrounding the connection between Flu shots and GBS. A 2013 meta-analysis study focused on association of GBS and influenza A (H1N1) vaccine and showed an increased risk of GBS. The Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ) has developed a new report for the Office of the Assistant Secretary of Health that now has been published. The report concluded that VICP criteria was obsolete and needed to be updated with regards to the connection between GBS and influenza Vaccines.

There are proposals being reviewed right now to change the Vaccine Injury Table (VIT) to include GBS as a fully covered injury from seasonal flu shots with a timeline of 3 to 42 days after getting a shot. The proposed change to the VIT is summarized here:
      http://www.hrsa.gov/vaccinecompensation/updatevaccineinjurytable2013.pdf

Without this needed change, GBS sufferers have to appeal their cases through the Countermeasures Injury Compensation Program. Over 90% are awarded a settlement because credible medical and scientific evidence is now available supporting the fact that there is an increased incidence of GBS following Flu shots.

For those interested in understanding the true purpose of the VICP, here is what is stated on the HRSA website:

Purpose of Vaccine Injury Compensation Program
      In the 1980s, expensive lawsuits over injuries caused by childhood vaccines acted as a deterrent that kept many companies from working to develop new vaccines, even when those vaccines could provide a clear societal benefit. In addition, people and families who had been injured by childhood vaccines spent large amounts of money and time seeking compensation through complex court cases.

In response, Congress established the National Vaccine Injury Compensation Program (VICP) in order to:
      – ensure an adequate supply of vaccines
      – stabilize vaccine costs, and
      – provide an accessible and efficient forum for people who are injured by certain vaccines.

The VICP offers a streamlined approach to compensate victims and their families in the very rare instance that a vaccine causes injury. It is a no-fault system, paid for by a small tax on every vaccine.

The VICP went into effect on October 1, 1988. Since that time, the number of lawsuits involving vaccines has decreased markedly, companies continue to manufacture vaccines, and new vaccines are being developed.

My personal opinion is getting a Flu shot is like playing Russian Roulette. I won’t take that kind of risk. I respect the decisions others may make regarding their lives and the Flu shot. I can understand that for a few, there may be a greater risk to them by not having a Flu shot. This is a personal choice and hopefully a medical professional is involved in helping them make these choices.

• July 20, 2015 at 10:26 pm

GH, you’re braver than I am. I was repeatedly asked by hospital staff if I had had a flu shot, was I sure I hadn’t?

Regardless of whether it is considered safe or not, I am not willing to risk a relapse. I don’t have another one of those horrors left in me.

Prior to GBS, I never got sick. Hadn’t been to the doctor in about 15 years, last had a bout of flu in the ’90s. In the past year, I have been exposed to people with colds and flu (not on purpose) and so far, so good, back to not catching bugs that are going around, so I’m not concerned about that.

As bad as flu is, at least it is short-lived and doesn’t leave you paralyzed.

I’m only speaking to my own fears and experience, not trying to sway anyone.

• GH
      July 21, 2015 at 11:31 am

Influenza can (and does) actually kill, either directly or through the secondary infection of pneumonia. And it can also cause paralysis. If you can get GBS from a flu shot, you can get it from an influenza infection.

Tagged: