Veins Popping – Ankles Swelling – Hands Contracting

• Anonymous
      July 17, 2013 at 8:59 pm

I’m recently diagnosed with CIDP and have undergone my first loading treatment of IVIG. I take Tramadol for pain.

VEINS
      Since the first symptoms began 6 months ago, I’ve noticed the veins in my legs and hands becoming more and more noticeably popping out. It started around the calves about the same time the first numbness began. As the numbness has moved up my legs, so have the popping veins.

ANKLES
      I’ve recently returned to work (as opposed to working from home for the last 40 days) for half days and I’ve noticed my ankles are swollen, at the end of the day.

HAND CONTRACTURE
      One of the first symptoms I had was pain in the hands. I noticed what seemed like a stiff ligament crossing my palm from the base of my thumb toward the middle finger. Now, my middle and ring fingers don’t straighten all the way.

I have been doing a lot of online research.

I found neuritis references to circulatory issues related circulatory/swelling. From “http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/410590/neuritis”, “The characteristic symptoms of neuritis include pain and tenderness; impaired sensation, strength, and reflexes; and abnormal circulation and decreased ability to sweat in the distribution of the inflamed nerve or nerves.”

I found auto-immune references to Dupuytrens Contracture related to hand contracture. From “http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/dupuytrens-contracture/DS00732/DSECTION=causes” “Some researchers have speculated that it may be associated with an autoimmune reaction, where a person’s immune system attacks its own body tissues.”

Are others finding similar issues? Are you finding relief from any of them? If so, how?

Thanks
      SSS

• GH
      July 18, 2013 at 12:00 am

I had edema in the hands and feet for a time when I was immobile. When I came come, my ankles would swell if I was too sedentary. It went away as I began to walk more. Also, when I am not walking, I often put my feet up. This helps. If you have a sedentary job, put your feet up, if you can, or take breaks and walk.

• September 20, 2016 at 2:40 pm

Was there anything done for your hands? I’m experiencing wrist drop on my left arm and what looks like Dupuytren’s contracture on my right hand. I’m wondering if anyone has had similar experiences and can offer some insight?

• September 25, 2016 at 10:10 am

Jamierz68

I had similar symptoms for about 2 years. You should see a good occupational therapist. I slept with custom hand and wrist splints for over a year. Otherwise at night when asleep your hands curl up. With weakened wrist extensor muscles (wrist drop) the flexor muscles take over. If the muscles remain flexed for too long they can be difficult to return to normal length.
      Physical and occupational therapy are huge parts of cidp recovery. Not just while there, I would do my exercises multiple times a day. I went from barely walking with a walker and not being able to eat to near full functionality but it took years of hard work.

Also this is a disease where you need to be your own advocate. My first neurologist while good intentioned thought ivig was enough. after three months i ended up completely unable to walk and couldn’t get in to see him. Needless to say I changed immediately to someone else and have been doing much better ever since. It took me both steroids and immunosuppressants in addition to the ivig but it worked.

Sorry long post but tl;dr

Get a prescription for occupational therapy and physical therapy asap or mechanical contractures can occur. If you’re progressing despite being on ivig let them know immediately.

Tagged: