Waiting for the other shoe to drop?

• November 27, 2011 at 2:00 am

It has been 11 months since our journey started with GBS/CIDP. My husband is going pretty darn good. He is getting IVIG every three weeks. His feet are just beginning to have some motion. We got hand controls for his car so he can get out of the house and visit his dad in the nursing home. I don’t think he will work again for a long time, if ever. So, that weighs on me.

I think I am the one with the problem now. I feel like I am holding my breath waiting for the next shoe to drop. I am still having a tough time concentrating and feeling pretty darn down. Just after hubby was diagnosed, his dad fell and broke his hip. So, I got to take over all of his financial matters and move him out of his apartment. All his stuff came to our house. I keep thinking about all that has to get done, yet I know I cannot get it all done.

I need to figure out how to get back to a happy place.

Any good ideas? I have gotten back into running, but in Washington the weather kind of hampers that. I have got to try and get some happyness back. I feel like I have had my ability to be happy taken away and not sure I will get it back.

• Anonymous
      December 13, 2011 at 8:23 am

Patty,

Find time to do things that you enjoyed before your husband became ill. What type of things did the two of you enjoy and can still do? What did you usually do when you had time to yourself?

Are there any pre-teens or teenagers looking to make few dollars around the holidays? Perhaps you can enlist their help sorting through your father-in-law items. Pay them a few bucks and also treat them to pizza and pop.

I don’t have children but at times, I’ll “borrow” one or two nieces and or nephews. Most of them are now in there 20’s & 30’s, but they still love hanging out at my place. You’ll be amazed at how much laughter ensues when you have children (even the grown ones) around.

You will/can get your happiness back….if you work at doing things that brings happiness to your life.

Take care,

Tina

edited cause I can’t spell….sigh.

• Anonymous
      September 6, 2012 at 4:05 pm

Patty: Did you find your happiness again? I can really relate to your feelings. I try to do those things that bring some happiness back into my life but it’s a stuggle. Thank goodness for my group of women friends. I’d be a basket case without them – or maybe just a worse basket case. How’s your hubby doing? My husband was first diagnosed over 5 years ago now. We both stuggle with depression every day.

Margaret from Nebraska

• December 31, 2012 at 6:05 am

Working on it every day.  I am lucky in that I started running about 3 years ago.  Before Marshall got sick I had run a couple half marathons.  I am trying to keep it up.  Signed up for another one in May next year.

But, I don’t feel like I am the same happy person I was before.  I really feel this has changed me a lot.  I wonder if other care givers feel that way.  He is working a couple hours here and there, but he is on disability.  So, now I have the burden of feeling like it is all on me.  If something happens to me,  what will happen.  He is doing absolutely wonderful.  But since he was an electrician, he really cannot go back to that work.  Having numb fingers isn’t really good when you work with electricity.

So, I guess I feel a lot of weight.    I think you pegged it when you said it is a struggle, every day.