some update from Iceland

• November 27, 2013 at 4:55 am

so others here inside that don´t know me I was onset with GBS 7 years ago and are always struggling with some issues like double vision, numb feet and always tired. Im also diabetes and use insulin. I have not been active here inside for long time. but now I have some bad cold and I feeling more numb in my face and if I did not know the keyboard well I could not write for Im getting double vision. Do you guys feel like that when you get sick that the symtom decrease, I dont want to worry my people but this scares me allot.

• November 27, 2013 at 6:59 pm

Helga, are you saying that you think your GBS is still active after 7 years? If so, it is probably CIDP. If not, it is not uncommon for many of us to have residual symptoms many years after the onset of GBS.

A bad cold can, in very rare circumstances, trigger a recurrence of GBS-like symptoms. This is because the immune system has already learned how to make certain anti-bodies that could again wrongly attack the nerve fibers.

I am 6 years post onset (GBS then CIDP/MFS) and still have paralysis, numbness and tingling. I had vision loss and got Diabetes from taking Prednisone. Surgery fixed my vision loss, but I am still diabetic. It took 2 years before I could use a computer again.

You should see your neurologist if you think the disease has become active again. Perhaps s/he would recommend some treatments (IVIg, PE, etc) to help you get better.

• Anonymous
      December 1, 2013 at 8:46 am

Hello everyone im carlo, a filipino ,I have a bad cold and fever today and im very worried since i have just recovered from gbs.Would i be worried or it will just go away. I really need your comments guys.thank you.

• December 1, 2013 at 9:08 pm

Carliam,

GBS is a very rare disease and getting it a second time from a cold is even rarer. There’s no reason to worry that a typical cold or sore throat is going to trigger an autoimmune response and lead to a recurrence of GBS. Colds, sore throats, and the occasional bout of diarrhea are fairly predictable parts of everyone’s lives before and after GBS.

In the very, very unlikely event you get tingling or numbness in the hands or feet in next couple weeks following the cold, you should get a routine checkup by a GBS doctor.

• Anonymous
      December 1, 2013 at 11:27 pm

jim-LA

Thank you very much for your response,I am really pleased that someone can answer questions regarding gbs since its very rare and you can never get answer from neighbors hehehe.