Please, someone, anyone

    • August 11, 2017 at 11:34 pm

      On Sunday night, I spoke to my mother about Game Of Thrones.

      The next morning, Monday, she was admitted to the hospital complaining of tingling in her feet.

      Tuesday she was on life support and has complete body paralysis.

      Today is Friday, and the doctors just called us in to discuss taking her off life support.

      Please, someone, anyone, tell me this isn’t normal. It’s been 4 nights in the hospital. How could anyone be so bleak about their opinion. This early?

    • GH
      August 12, 2017 at 6:02 pm

      What is her age? GBS can be extreme and cause complete paralysis fairly quickly, but recovery is still possible. Do not agree to this! She must first be examined by a neurologist familiar with GBS, and as soon as possible.

    • jk
      August 12, 2017 at 6:14 pm

      Presumably you are posting here because the diagnosis is GBS. However, the talk of removing her from life support suggests otherwise.

      I have heard, and read, that it is not unusual to be hospitalized. In fact, the information on this website states, in part:

      “GBS in its early stages is unpredictable, so except in very mild cases, most newly diagnosed patients are hospitalized. Usually, a new case of GBS is admitted to ICU (Intensive Care) to monitor breathing and other body functions until the disease is stabilized”

      There should be a team of doctors, including a neurologist, and treatment should be aggressively initiated.

      Hope the best for your mother. And you.

    • jk
      August 12, 2017 at 9:38 pm

      I was out for a walk when I realized there is another possibility. Your mother may have a Do Not Resuscitate, a Living Will or an Advanced Directive that somebody, be it Family Doctor, Someone with Health Care Power of Attorney, a family Relative or a Trustee has the authority to act on.

      If this is the case it would have been mentioned in a meeting.

    • August 13, 2017 at 12:24 am

      it took 10 days for GBS to put my lights out… and I was still walking at day 8. After that, it was devastatingly fast, where I could no longer feed myself the next day and I could barely breath on my own. They administered IVIg in the ICU. That did nothing for me. It wasn’t until they administered Plasma Exchange before I started to respond favorably. That saved my life from my standpoint.

      Everybody responds differently to treatment. I hope your Mother recovers fast and completely.