lost friends

• Anonymous
      August 17, 2006 at 6:18 pm

[COLOR=red]Have you lost any good friends since your disability? I have lost a lot and I don’t understand why! 😡 [/COLOR]

• Anonymous
      August 17, 2006 at 6:56 pm

Wish that I had an answer for you Dave, but I don’t. Frank and I lost alot of our friends too. My theory is they weren’t good friends to start with or they would never have left your side.

• Anonymous
      August 24, 2006 at 6:19 pm

I have also lost many friends and some family members, I thought it was only me. I thought it was my age becasue what young person wants to hang around someone who can’t keep up with them. I don’t know why people chnage.

• Anonymous
      August 28, 2006 at 3:26 pm

That is very sad and yet it happens-a person’s personality changes with weakness and illness-I agree they weren’t good friends to begin with

• Anonymous
      August 29, 2006 at 12:58 am

Some people just don’t know how to relate to chronic illness, others are scared. Then there are those who weren’t friends for the long haul. As my Life Coach said “it’s a great time to spring-clean the roladex and add new people who will enrich your life”! The answer to your first question is “yes”, both my husband and I lost friends. Our life’s journey took a whole new path, their’s didn’t.

• Anonymous
      September 1, 2006 at 9:54 pm

Guess we’ve been very blessed. My husband has had CIDP for 8 years now and we haven’t lost a single friend. When we want to do something together, they re-arrange things to fit what he can do. We’ve also had other major health problems within our family and have received nothing but support. I’m sorry it can’t be like that for everyone. I feel for you but agree that if “friends” left, then they weren’t “friends” after all.

• Anonymous
      September 7, 2006 at 1:53 pm

[COLOR=”Purple”]I don’t know that I’ve lost friends. I know they’re busy working and have families. But I hear from them rarely. The up side is that 2 friends I hadn’t communicated with very often for years are now very close to me again due to my situation. they call frequently, take me out to lunch and come over for visits. That has been a big blessing………….Vicki[/COLOR]

• Anonymous
      October 3, 2006 at 1:30 am

[QUOTE=Brandy] My theory is they weren’t good friends to start with or they would never have left your side.[/QUOTE]

I have to agree with this statement. Only in times of need and sorrow that you get to know who have been the truest friends to you. I lost few of them friends-and I grieved no more for their loss when I understood that I was better off without them.

• Anonymous
      October 31, 2006 at 1:37 pm

My son Nate and his bro Ben had been friends with two Brothers Arnie and Manny for about 8 yrs.
      They spent many nights watching wrestling and eating pizza in my living room.
      When Nate got sick, they came to see him, took him shopping, ate out with him and even helped stuff him in their car when the bus didn’t come.
      It was quite an ordeal with Nate being a big guy and Arnie being a little flyweight person.
      Arnie didn’t give up though. He struggled until he got Nate in the car.
      Now that Nate is home, they text message him daily.
      I hate to think of how it would affect Nate if he didn’t have them.
      Now Arnie is getting married in a year and he has asked Nate to be his best man, walking or not.
      To me, that is a true friend indeed.
      Friends that leave you in a time of crisis are selfish, IMO.
      They don’t realize that one day it could be them.

• Anonymous
      December 9, 2006 at 9:32 pm

It’s been almost two years since Ben’s–my fiance’s–GBS attack. I don’t know if we’ve *lost* any friends, but for me, I don’t feel like I relate to people my age anymore. At 32 years of age, I would never have expected to have to stand beside Ben’s bedside and watch him almost die on me. That has had a significant impact on my life. I choose to stay with him rather than go out because I prefer staying home making memories with him. I know my friends are still there for me when I’m ready because they do continue call, but I’m just not ready yet.

Shannon

• Anonymous
      December 9, 2006 at 9:41 pm

People come and go. Fiends are forever, Luckily I married my wife and best friend some 35 years ago. She is still here despite everything 😀 Go figure

• Anonymous
      December 9, 2006 at 10:01 pm

Some of the best friends I’ve made in the last two years have been from this forum. It was really nice over the summer meeting with two other couples from the forum who’d been through the same thing. The wives and I got along great and had a lot of stories to share about our stubborn men . . . I mean manly men! Ben and I also went to Cleveland for a liaison meeting in May and met some wonderful people there too. It’s amazing to see how many wonderful and intelligent people have been touched by GBS.