IVIG treatment for CIDP in Ireland

• Anonymous
      December 14, 2013 at 8:02 am

Hi all,

I am a 38 year old male. living in Sydney , Australia, who was diagnosed with CIDP 4 years ago. am receiving IVIG every 3 weeks and am doing well.
      I am from Ireland and would to return home (long term) some time around mid 2014 . My neurologist has written my referral ( listing my current treatment) and am about to send it off to an Irish ( public) neurologist.

I am just wondering if anyone here has or is receiving IVIG treatment in Ireland? Was it difficult to get IVIG prescribed on the public system? Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
      Patrick

• December 15, 2013 at 2:39 am

I have friends who lived in Ireland several years while the husband attended graduate school. The wife had symptoms of a neurological disease and, while trying to get diagnosis and treatment, was confronted with all the red tape and delays of the health system. It took her 2-3 months before she could get treatments. My friend and his family have now moved back to the USA and the doctors here are questioning the diagnosis of Lupus that the Irish doctors gave his wife.

I have no first hand knowledge of the Irish system, but I would say to expect delays.

Tagged: