Has anyone tried PEMF?

• February 18, 2016 at 12:01 am

I was recently told I should check out a website for a treatment that a past GBS patient (James G. Comerford) developed. http://www.replenishingtechnologiesinc.com My physical therapist was sent the information via Linkedin (www.linkedin.com/pulse/guy-my-age-james-g-comerford). He hasn’t researched it at all and recommended I reach out to the GBS community and see if anyone has had any experience with this.

• February 24, 2016 at 9:16 pm

GBS usually peaks in a couple months and diminishes. Those afflicted often return to normal health in a year or two. Some have residuals that last beyond one or two years.

Its unclear whether Pulsed Electromagnetic Field Therapy can contribute to the repair of damaged Myelin, or the even more difficult to repair Axonal damage. Neuroregeneration of the Axons is extremely limited in adults. Nonetheless, studies have shown a reduction in pain from regular use of PEMF.

CIDP (the chronic form of GBS) would be even less likely to be treated by PEMF, but I can’t see where additional damage would result. Those patients willing to undergo the treatment would probably have to pay for it themselves. Insurance companies rarely pay for unproven and experimental treatments.

Could it be that Mr Comerford’s improvement would have come about naturally without PEMF?