Getting Feeling Back After Taking Macca Root!

• Anonymous
      February 2, 2007 at 12:33 am

I was not looking for something with anything to do with GBS!

A few weeks ago I read a news article about a company that had a patent for the extraction of a standardized strength of “Maca Root”. I didn’t know what that was, so I did a little research.

It only grows in the high Andes, and the natives have been using it for ages to increase their “stamina”, and for it’s “aphrodisiac” effects. I read what I could find on it and then ordered a bottle of capsules.

I did notice that I was more “energetic” when I took the Maca Root. My wife also tried it and she too said she felt more “energized”. So, that was nice…..but now for the “rest of the story”.

Within a few days of taking the Maca Root I began to feel new sensations in the areas of my legs and feet that have been numb. When I stopped taking the Maca Root, everything went back to the way it was, except that those “dead” areas still had the new sensation. Taking the Maca Root again started more improvement in the neuropathy. I also found that taking only one capsule instead of two each day also worked but not as much.

There is certainly a question of coincidence. It could be that after all this time I was about to have another plateau of improvement anyway. I don’t think so……But, I’ll see how it goes. For me it’s a win-win situation….whether or not it IS the Maca Root, my numbness is improving.

I would love to hear from someone else that tries Maca Root! If anyone else has a similar good reaction from it, that would be great. Different prescription meds have different results on folks with GBS, and we look for those that give us the most benefit. This is one of those “it can’t hurt to try”, and if it just gives you a feeling of more stamina/energy that’s nice.

• Anonymous
      February 2, 2007 at 8:27 am

This seems to be the new trend for sneaking advertising onto the forum. It is the second recommendation of new “remedies” in the last month-caveat emptor. If you don’t know the people posting these things-and this guy just made his first post-I wouldn’t believe anything they write. Jeff

• Anonymous
      February 2, 2007 at 8:49 am

Ken used to post here all the time Jeff. That said, anything recommended by anyone on this forum needs to be ran by your Neurologist anyways. I recommend to any patients that I talk to that they should avoid all of these, my reason is that anything that boosts your immune system is potentially dangerous. I personally don’t want to try any of this stuff, but if it helps others then I say great, just be careful.

Jerimy

• Anonymous
      February 2, 2007 at 10:07 am

Hello:

I want to warn those reading this thread that Jerimy’s reply is right on! Please do not take any supplements without talking to your doctor first. What appears to be harmless, may not be. I have heard some horror stories and I do not want any of your names to be in the next one I hear.

Barbara Katzman
      GBS/CIDP Foundation International

• Anonymous
      February 2, 2007 at 10:28 am

Hi Ken,

Welcome Back! Havent seen you around for almost a year. How has the photography been going, wouldnt mind seeing some more of your pictures. Dont be a stranger and keep posting.

• Anonymous
      February 2, 2007 at 12:53 pm

Hi Ken,

Welcome back. I like the others think before taking any supplement to talk it over with your Neuro or Primary care Docs. But on the other hand I am glad you found something that works for you. ๐Ÿ™‚

• Anonymous
      February 2, 2007 at 3:44 pm

Ok-I stand corrected on this being a new person. My apologies. I find that whenever I talk to someone about GBS, and I have actually given several lectures on it to therapists, there is always someone who comes up to me with the miracle answer-a supplement or a guru or a new exercise and I guess I am just tired of people thinking there is such a cure. There was recently another post in another thread with the same kind of suggestion for a supplement that would take away all our pain. So, repeating what everyone else is said I too would urge caution. Ken-sorry I didn’t know your other posts and I am glad you did find something that worked for you and you were sincere in your posting. Jeff

• Anonymous
      February 2, 2007 at 4:11 pm

Jeff,

We all understand what you mean, I’m sure nobody takes offense ๐Ÿ™‚ . I know I am sick of people trying to sell their product on the website. Ken posted often on the forum before it went down at the beginning of last year, so it really is good to see him posting again.

• Anonymous
      February 3, 2007 at 1:18 am

[QUOTE=ali]Hi Ken,

Welcome Back! Havent seen you around for almost a year. How has the photography been going, wouldnt mind seeing some more of your pictures. Dont be a stranger and keep posting.[/QUOTE]

Hi Ali! Since then I’ve published a 160 page photography coffee table book with many of my favorite shots from the past year, including a cruise to Alaska.

In spite of my numbness and pain (not to mention balance) issues, I have been on quite a few photo shoots.

You can see many of my photos at [url]http://flickr.com/photos/ken-l/sets[/url]

Oh, yes, before I forget, this is NOT an advertisement for my book!

Here’s one photo (a contest winner), and the cover of my book:

(Taken at Yosemite National Park) The reflection of Yosemite in the Merced River at Sunset.

[IMG]http://farm1.static.flickr.com/121/255424703_bb97fe014a_o.jpg[/IMG]

• Anonymous
      February 3, 2007 at 1:29 am

[QUOTE=Brandy]Hi Ken,

Welcome back. I like the others think before taking any supplement to talk it over with your Neuro or Primary care Docs. But on the other hand I am glad you found something that works for you. :)[/QUOTE]

Thanks Brandy. Yes, just about anything we take should be run by our doctor…..many OTC vitamins, herbs, etc., can have unforseen impact on prescription meds and other OTC products.

Some doctors are open to possbilities we find with our own research and others are not.

I’ve been taking Cymbalta from my Dr, and the “recommended” dosage is just one capsule daily for all indications. Then after searching that drug company’s web site info, I learned that for some people with neuropathy a double-dose can do better. I told my Dr about that and he switched me to 2x, and it DID make a difference for me.

Doctors can also be funny! When my best friend was diagnosed as terminal with lung cancer, his doctor didn’t want to prescribe morphine because he was afraid my friend would become addicted……go figure! ๐Ÿ˜ฎ (He changed doctor….)

• Anonymous
      February 3, 2007 at 1:33 am

ALI – The forum software here is what I am most familiar with because the photography forums that I hide-out in use this also….. It’s a great program!

• Anonymous
      February 3, 2007 at 6:47 am

I have taken a look at your photos and they are so beautiful Ken! I love photography, both practising it and leafing through my father’s photobook collection.

Oh, yeah, and you made me want to go to Alaska too:).

• Anonymous
      February 3, 2007 at 12:15 pm

Ken, its good to see you around again. your pics are just awesome! keep up the great work!:)

• Anonymous
      February 3, 2007 at 7:28 pm

Wow Ken, they are absolutely stunning! You also have so much more than I saw last, you’ve been really busy. I love taking B&W myself, I think because thats the medium I learned to develop in. Unfortunately I have dismantled my ‘dark room’, and plan on selling the enlarger and stuff on ebay. Since my son was born 5 years ago, havent been able to spend anytime developing ๐Ÿ™ . Hubby bought me a wonderful digital with lenses, so I really do need to learn a digital software package properly so that I can take some time to take some pictures.

By the way, what dosage Cymbalta are you on? I’m on 60mg at the moment, helps for the body pain, but not for the hand and feet pain.

• Anonymous
      February 3, 2007 at 11:50 pm

Ken your pictures are amazing.

Jerimy

PS-Noticed some cat trapping pictures on your flikr, what’s the deal with that??? Just curious.

• Anonymous
      February 4, 2007 at 9:36 am

Hi Ken! Welcome back! Glad you’re feeling better! Photography seems like a great hobby for a GBSer! I’m glad you enjoy it so much and that you’re kind enough to share your pictures with the family!

Love,

Shannon

• Anonymous
      February 4, 2007 at 1:46 pm

[QUOTE=Eva]I have taken a look at your photos and they are so beautiful Ken! I love photography, both practising it and leafing through my father’s photobook collection.

Oh, yeah, and you made me want to go to Alaska too:).[/QUOTE]
      Thank you Eva! We’re taking another Alaska cruise in May….

• Anonymous
      February 4, 2007 at 1:49 pm

[QUOTE=angel2ndclass22699]Ken, its good to see you around again. your pics are just awesome! keep up the great work!:)[/QUOTE]
      Thanks Cheryl! I was on another shoot yesterday at Santa Cruz.

• Anonymous
      February 4, 2007 at 1:50 pm

[QUOTE=ali]Wow Ken, they are absolutely stunning! You also have so much more than I saw last, you’ve been really busy. I love taking B&W myself, I think because thats the medium I learned to develop in. Unfortunately I have dismantled my ‘dark room’, and plan on selling the enlarger and stuff on ebay. Since my son was born 5 years ago, havent been able to spend anytime developing ๐Ÿ™ . Hubby bought me a wonderful digital with lenses, so I really do need to learn a digital software package properly so that I can take some time to take some pictures.

By the way, what dosage Cymbalta are you on? I’m on 60mg at the moment, helps for the body pain, but not for the hand and feet pain.[/QUOTE]
      Thanks Ali!

Digital is great. No more dark room, and the processing is realtively easy.
      Adobe Photoshop Elements is a good/easy program to work with. You can transform any photo into B&W. Processing is essential in digital photography.

Cymbalta has only one dosage for everything – 60mg once daily. But, their literature suggested that some people with neuropathy benefit from 60mg twice per day. My doctor approved, and I take it twice a day now, and it did make a difference in my foot pain – for me.

• Anonymous
      February 4, 2007 at 1:58 pm

[QUOTE=Jerimy]Ken your pictures are amazing.

Jerimy

PS-Noticed some cat trapping pictures on your flikr, what’s the deal with that??? Just curious.[/QUOTE]
      Thanks Jerimy!

There is a large colony of feral cats that come and go, use our backyard as a birthing center, and my wife leaves food and water for them…. Watching kittens is great!

We have trapped dozens, had them neutered, and returned them to the colony.

We used to have two inside cats – one was a feral that was nearly dead month-old kitten on our doorstep while I was in hospital. The feral dveloped an incurable condition and we had to put her down at age 2. The other was my wife’s pet before we met, and we had to put her down due to cancer at age 15 a few months ago.

We won’t have any more “inside” cats…….

[U]”Little-Bit” our “feral”[/U]

[IMG]http://farm1.static.flickr.com/13/18208044_e3b1a64acf_o.jpg[/IMG]

“Callie”

[IMG]http://farm1.static.flickr.com/42/86120723_556e1d6fd7_o.jpg[/IMG]

• Anonymous
      February 4, 2007 at 2:06 pm

[QUOTE=Shannon]Hi Ken! Welcome back! Glad you’re feeling better! Photography seems like a great hobby for a GBSer! I’m glad you enjoy it so much and that you’re kind enough to share your pictures with the family!

Love,

Shannon[/QUOTE]
      Thanks Shannon!

I’m a bit limited due to the GBS, so there are photo shoots that I just can’t do that require two or three days of up before dawn, and hiking rugged terrain for several miles! For the Mono Lake shoot, we did two days so we could get sunrise light and then sundown light, and we had to trek through some difficult areas. That is about as much as I can do…. Hopefully some day I’ll be able to do more.

[U]Mono Lake at Sunrise[/U]

[IMG]http://farm1.static.flickr.com/72/217820989_b99614b618_o.jpg[/IMG]

• Anonymous
      February 4, 2007 at 5:03 pm

Ken, You are sooo talented! i just love the alaska shots, especially the eagles! what type of camera would you recommend for those of us who like to take pics but don’t have alot of money to put into equip? right now i have a digi that i just can’t get to work properly, and its getting hard to hold-being too small. i’ve been looking at the larger digi cameras but there are soo many to choose from i’m overwhelmed. any suggestions on where to start?
      keep those awesome pics coming-love em!

• Anonymous
      February 4, 2007 at 8:28 pm

Ken,

What an absolutely beautiful photograph! Thanks for sharing.

Suzanne

• Anonymous
      February 4, 2007 at 8:29 pm

[QUOTE=angel2ndclass22699]Ken, You are sooo talented! i just love the alaska shots, especially the eagles! what type of camera would you recommend for those of us who like to take pics but don’t have alot of money to put into equip? right now i have a digi that i just can’t get to work properly, and its getting hard to hold-being too small. i’ve been looking at the larger digi cameras but there are soo many to choose from i’m overwhelmed. any suggestions on where to start?
      keep those awesome pics coming-love em![/QUOTE]
      Thanks Cheryl!

I’d be happy to help anyone interested in photography here! And, anyone in my area (San Francisco Bay Area) I can help in person!

PM me with anything special….

Your budget is the most important factor. A DSLR (Digital Single Lens Reflex) camera is best. There are some less expensive cameras by Nikon and Canon that are quite good. Nikon offers the D40, and Canon the Rebel. I use a Nikon D200.

For instance B&H Camera (a reputable source) has the Nikon D40:

[url]http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=6222&A=details&Q=&sku=471716&is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation[/url]

A good “Point-and-shoot” digital camera can also do very well for less money.

Here’s a shot I took some time back with a Canon Powershot S30 camera:

[IMG]http://farm1.static.flickr.com/28/103978362_c2adb2f422_b.jpg[/IMG]

• Anonymous
      February 5, 2007 at 1:37 am

[QUOTE=Suzanne]Ken,

What an absolutely beautiful photograph! Thanks for sharing.

Suzanne[/QUOTE]
      Thank you Suzanne!

• Anonymous
      February 5, 2007 at 7:35 am

ken,

is this la jolla? possibly wind-n’-sea beach? take care. be well.

gene gbs 8-99
      in numbers there is strength

• Anonymous
      February 6, 2007 at 2:58 pm

[QUOTE=gene]ken,

is this la jolla? possibly wind-n’-sea beach? take care. be well.

gene gbs 8-99
      in numbers there is strength[/QUOTE]
      It is La Jolla! Great identification Gene! I didn’t know the name of the beach… we were just riding along after walking around and it looked like a nice image…..