Female CIDP hair loss with response from aldactone for hirsutism great! Help!

• May 7, 2017 at 5:50 am

Hair loss, change in texture, strength and response to normal care. I receive gammagard infusions every 2 weeks, max dose of gabapentin, tapering off of prednisone due to cushingoid response- dose 2.5mg daily now down from 40mg. I’ve been diagnosed for apps 15mths, receiving IVIG now for appx 8mths, and have only noticed the hair loss in pass 2-3 months. Aldactone is new- has reversed my hirsutism from prednisone and oxycontin is new. I still receive solumedrol with my treatment. Any ideas, help, and/ or recommendations???Thank you, Lori

• jk
      May 7, 2017 at 9:47 am

A web search for Side-effects of spironolactone (Brand Name Aldactone) yields this from the Mayo Clinic website: Side Effects: Incidence not known- hair loss or thinning of the hair.

Generalized discussions here and there suggest the initial dose of Aldactone and follow up dosing of spironolactone should be closely monitored. Check with your doctors.

While reading up on prednisone I found both hair loss and increased hair growth mentioned as side effects.

Be careful with the use of Oxycontin.

• May 7, 2017 at 5:18 pm

Some more information about thinning hair in discussions here: https://forum.gbs-cidp.org/topic/hair-loss-ivig

• May 7, 2017 at 7:42 pm

I was bored while getting my IVIg infusions last week. So I read the literature that came with the bottle and hirsutism was a listed side effect.

I’m bald, so of course I can’t see any difference topside, but in god’s little joke on me, I’ve got hair every place else : )

I just noticed that my calves have completely lost all their hair. I think that started after my previous IVIg treatment in April.

Of course with all the medicines you listed, it could be any of the above.

Tagged: