Facial tingling and numbness

• Anonymous
      November 23, 2013 at 7:44 pm

Hi: I am a 38 yr old female who was diagnosed with GBS in November 2012. I was given IVIG during my initial six-day hospital stay. In November 2013, my neurologist changed my diagnosis to CIDP since I still had fatigue, anxiety, depression and tingling/numbness in my face and hands. I am currently on Gabapentin and Tramadol, but they only seem to work sometimes. I have already tried the other meds like Lyrica and Cymbalta without success. I was recently given the green light for additional IVIG (2-day infusions every three weeks).

My question is…how will IVIG affect the numbness and the tingling? I can deal with the numbness but the tingling makes me go crazy, especially when it flares up around my eyes and eyelids. Any input is appreciated, even scary ones so I can prepare myself…

• November 23, 2013 at 8:55 pm

I contracted GBS in 2008 and my neuro diagnosed me with CIDP/MFS a few months later. I had serious numbness and tingling in my eyes, mouth, cheeks … mostly on the right side of my face. I could not close my right eye, could not smile (right side), had slurred speech, and difficulty eating.

Today I speak almost normally, I can close my right eye (not as tightly as left), but I still have slight tingling and numbness in the face. I hardly notice it any more because it has become part of me.

I do not think I am a “typical” CIDP patient and most people experience greater improvement than me. However, many with CIDP report still having some residual numbness and tingling many years after the initial onset.

For me, Plasmapheresis did more to control the numbness and tingling than IVIg ever did.