CIDP = Caused by the flu shot

• March 5, 2020 at 3:36 pm

I’ve read a few posts by others on the forum stating that they suspected their CIDP was caused by the flu shot.
      I originally suspected mine was the result of either Lyme disease or the over use of antibiotics. As time goes on,the more I talk to people, now I’m beginning to suspect it may have also been the result of the one & only flu shot I ever received.
      Are there anyone out there who suspect their CIDP is a result of a flu shot?

• March 5, 2020 at 3:46 pm

Hello Ron, my CIDP was definitely caused by the H1N1 flu shot i received in 2010. It was within 10 days of the shot that all my symptoms started up. I had a very classic case of CIDP and was able to get diagnosed within 6 months and start IVIG so I didn’t have a lot of permanent damage to my nerves. It was hard to convince my neurologist that the flu shot caused my CIDP but it was the timing that really helped him believe it was the flu shot. Plus, I was perfectly healthy prior to the vaccine. That being said, I won’t ever get another flu shot again nor will my daughter just in case the reaction my body had is hereditary.

• March 5, 2020 at 4:07 pm

Chirpy has helped many of us with her numerous educational posts regarding Flu shots. Here is a link to some informative discussions on the topic:

Flu vaccine strikes again

• March 5, 2020 at 4:17 pm

I was able to successfully bring suit against the vaccine fund and did not have any legal fees. The lawyers did everything for me and no costs billed to me. It was done all over the phone and internet as my law firm was located in Boston. It took about 3 years to go through the process. I had to reject a few offers as I was low-balled two times. But we finally agreed upon an amount and I accepted. I could have rejected the last offer but then my case would have gone to a live trial in front of a judge and I would have had to travel to Boston. My lawyer said that if for any reason the judge ruled against me I would not receive a penny (and he has seen that happen many times). So i accepted the final offer (lower than what I though I should receive) but it was something to help offset the cost of IVIG infusions for life. I think there was a time limit you had to file suit after the initial diagnosis too.

• March 5, 2020 at 4:21 pm

The specific triggers of CIDP is not really known. The cause cannot be identified it mostly a presumption. The list below is what may and I emphasise may trigger CIDP
      Chronic hepatitis
      Diabetes
      Infection with the bacterium Campylobacter jejuni
      HIV/AIDS
      Immune system disorders due to cancer
      Inflammatory bowel disease
      Systemic lupus erythematosus
      Cancer of the lymph system
      Overactive thyroid
      Side effects of medicines to treat cancer or HIV

Campylobacter jejuni intrest me as it causes 1.5 million illnesses each year in the United States.
      https://www.who.int/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/campylobacter

• March 6, 2020 at 7:23 pm

I’ve never had a flu shot, or any other vaccines beyond the usual stuff I got as a baby.

After reading all these posts though, the timing does coincide with some Minocycline I took after an ophthamologist prescribed it for my RCE. I first noticed the CIDP symptoms in late 2018 when they got severe, but in hindsight there were some minor symptoms a couple years earlier than I ignored.

• March 11, 2020 at 4:15 pm

Hey Chirpy Birdy,
      I understand there is a 3 year stature of limitations, from the time you receive the vaccine/flu shot until you file suit. I was told I’m not able to file a claim against the Vaccine Injury Compensation Program. I got the flu shot in late 2013, and didn’t suspect the flu shot until I joined the forum this past year. Now it all makes sense, but a day late and a dollar short. 🙁

• March 24, 2020 at 4:14 pm

Yes, that is true. I just slipped under the limit when I filed.

Tagged: