Jim-LA

Your Replies

  • June 28, 2016 at 3:02 pm

    What treatments were you given for GBS and what, if any, meds are you on post GBS? These can play a part in residuals.

    However, your symptoms are fairly typical. The disease impacts everyone differently and it seems you have fewer of the more irritating symptoms than some.

    BTW, I gained 70 lbs following GBS. I was a semi pro tennis player and very fit prior to GBS. It took me awhile to learn how to eat after GBS. I eventually took off the 70, but will never again be as fit as I was pre-GBS. Others have reported a return to full health, so don’t write yourself off!

    June 22, 2016 at 6:57 pm

    You may find some helpful info about pain options in the following thread:
    https://forum.gbs-cidp.org/topic/pain-and-weakness-together

    June 10, 2016 at 3:37 pm

    Anti-glutamic acid decarboxylase (GAD) antibodies could indicate the presence of Diabetes, Ataxia, or Stiff Person Syndrome. Some articles that may help explain these indications are here:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latent_autoimmune_diabetes_of_adults
    http://www.ataxiacenter.umn.edu/aboutataxia/sporadic/gad/home.html
    http://www.diabetes.co.uk/gad-antibody-test.html
    http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/diabetic-neuropathy/basics/definition/con-20033336

    June 7, 2016 at 11:30 pm

    The tools available are too numerous to list here. They run the gamut from eating tools to dressing to hygiene to walking or wheeling. Some ideas can be found on-line at websites such as:

    http://www.1800wheelchair.com
    http://www.adaptivemall.com
    https://www.therapyshoppe.com

    One of the best ways to learn about what’s new is to attend an AbilitiesExpo. I just attended the one in LA and learned many new things.

    http://www.abilities.com/expos
    http://abilitytools.org

    Now get that degree, go out there, and help those of us who may need assistance!

    June 7, 2016 at 3:21 pm

    Yes, you should seek diagnosis from a Center of Excellence! You have three choices within a 300-400 mile radius of Chicago (Detroit, Rochester, and Columbus).

    Acute Motor Axonal Neuropathy (AMAN) is a variant of Guillain-Barré Syndrome (GBS). It is a rare variant but treatment options are available should you have that condition. Information about AMAN can be found by performing a keyword search on the forums here. If that were what you have, it would be better to post further comments under that forum thread. You can read more about AMAN here:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3939842
    https://www.hitpages.com/doc/6563064899960832/1#pageTop
    https://forum.gbs-cidp.org/topic/axonal-guillan-barre-aman

    Other GBS variants are described here:
    http://www.gbs-cidp.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/AcuteCareICU13.pdf

    May 30, 2016 at 4:37 pm

    Try something like the following letter (pardon my grammar, it’s just a shell) but word it your way and to convince them to take action in your case:

    Company: United Healthcare (UHC)
    My policy number: (insert your policy number)
    Date of Loss: (insert date of accident)
    Nature of Complaint: Failure to pay for treatment of serious illness under provisions of policy and further endangering my health and wellbeing
    Last Correspondence: (insert date of your letter to agent/adjuster); copy enclosed
    Documentation enclosed: letter from Doctor X MD addressed to (insert name of agent/adjuster)

    Dear Sirs, (or insert name of Insurance Commissioner)

    I hereby file a complaint against the above-named company, and adjuster, for the reasons stated above, as more completely set forth below. I request that you investigate this matter and take appropriate action to require my insurance carrier to comply with the terms if its insurance policy.

    History-Diangnosis

    I am an insured under the above-referenced policy, and I am entitled to payment for reasonable and necessary medical care under terms of the xxx provisions of said policy.

    My health began to decline (insert date) and I was diagnosed as having a rare condition called CIDP. As a consequence, Doctor X recommended a course of treatment called IVIg. This is the standard treatment recommended by experts to treat CIDP.

    My treatments are expensive and I cannot afford them without reimbursement or co-payment from UHC. The treatments have been denied based on out-dated acceptance of diagnostic criteria (or perhaps it’s really a revenue protection statement?). UHC’s failure to provide coverage has extended many months now. I work as a (insert job), and also have the usual chores at home. Sometimes after my CIDP flares up my work becomes extremely difficult for me because (insert some reason here), and I did miss some work because of pain and inability to (insert something here). I also had trouble doing my daily chores (ADL), and often found that I would suffer pain and (insert some condition here) at night or the next day if I would extend myself doing activities during the day.

    UHC Declines to Pay Medical Treatments

    On (insert date of their phone call or letter denying benefits) (inset adjuster’s name) informed me s/he was going to deny me benefits due under my policy. Specifically, she informed me that she was “discounting” a large portion of my doctor’s recvommendations because she (or a so-called mystery “peer review” committee or paid so-called Doctor) had concluded that Dr. X’s recomendations were for treatments that were not “reasonable or necessary” under an inconclusive diagnosis. This, she said, meant that the treatment costs fell outside of UHC’s obligation to pay me under its policy provisions.

    S/he explained that my doctor’s diagnoses are neither conclusive nor valid because his test results do not match their criteria for confirming the presence of the disease. I asked if what s/he was saying, in effect, is that there is no need to pay for any care, unless the diagnosis can be shown to have been valid (by meeting UHC criteria).

    Dr X has followed accepted industry established guidelines for confirming the presence of CIDP. These guidelines are readily available on-line from many renown medical sources and government endorsed institutions (cite some examples).

    Information and Rebuttal Furnished

    Doctor X furnished (insert name of agent/adjuster) full information to explain that his proposed treatments would help to restore my health, but not completely, and that UHC’s diagnosis criteria are non-standard and have no place in CIDP claims, and that many other medical treatments are made and paid for on the basis that they will just let the patient live a little better or longer, while there is no chance whatsoever they will “cure” the underlying disease.

    My rebuttal letter to UHC is enclosed. Why should the company have the right to determine what treatments I can have so long as the treatment will help me lead a normal life, as opposed to living in pain, reduced ADL’s, and risking the continuing loss of muscle function?

    We, the insureds, have full right of access to all reasonable and necessary medical treatments, and this is an arbitrary and capricious attempt to save insurance company money at the risk of jeopardizing the health of its own insureds.

    I mailed my letter to (insert name of adjuster) on (insert date of mailing), and now, xx days later, I have not heard anything from UHC.

    Action requested

    My health is at extreme risk because CIDP is known to have permanently disabled many of those afflicted. It seems to me that UHC has sentenced me to lead a lesser life so that they can continue to pay perks to their employees and stockholders. Since when have insurance company’s replaced medical experts in diagnosing our ailments? They have unfairly and wrongfully placed my recovery from CIDP at risk and jeopardized my long-term ability to lead a regular life. I want my treatments paid for under my policy.

    It is important to get this matter resolved, not just in my own case, but for others who will be victims of this tactic unless your office steps in and takes some action to make UHC comply with the law and adhere to its contracts with its insureds.

    I would be pleased to provide any additional information you may require.

    Sincerely Yours,
    (insert your name)

    May 30, 2016 at 12:13 am

    I would suggest filing your complaint here:
    http://doi.nv.gov/Consumers

    They can help with improper denial or delay in settlement of a claim. Nevada is very pro-resident and I’m sure they will support your case, especially since UHC has jeopardized your health by denying treatment coverage. This could put Nevada at risk of having to pay for a portion of your health services. They may also lose tax revenues because you can’t afford to pay your full taxes if you have to pay for treatments that should have been covered by UHC.

    It wouldn’t hurt to copy the State AG in an appeal/complaint letter suggesting insurance fraud or racketeering. If nothing else, it tells UHC you are serious and won’t take anymore of their guff.

    UHC, a multi-billion dollar public health company, is based in Minnetonka, MN and doesn’t pay Nevada taxes. They had gross incomes of $53 billion last year!
    http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=UNH

    I wish you the very best!

    BTW – I’m presently fighting one of their divisions (Symphonix Health) over false and fraudulent billing practices. I’ve filed a complaint with CMS and they have recently intervened in the matter. I told Symphonix I was also going to file a complaint with the FTC if I didn’t get satisfaction.

    It seems the insurance companies, who were out of control before, have gotten more out of control since the ACA was passed!

    May 29, 2016 at 10:23 pm

    The internal grievance procedures used by our insurance companies are weighted against us! I didn’t take that route; I took my complaint directly to my State Department of Insurance (DOI) and filed a complaint with them directly against Blue Cross. Had I not done so, I would have probably lost my case or been offered a lesser settlement.

    The insurance companies hire so-called doctors (usually not those with actual practice experience, but with teaching credentials) to render “position papers” that support the insurance company’s denial of coverage. That unfairly stacks the deck against the consumer and most State’s know about this tactic. What State are you in? Some are more consumer protective than others are.

    May 28, 2016 at 5:51 pm

    The GBS/CIDP Foundation may be able to help you. Please fill out a support request here:
    http://www.gbs-cidp.org/get-support/denied-ivig-treatments

    Please read about the diagnostic criteria used to determine CIDP in the following document, you may find it useful in helping you fight the denial:
    http://30g7el1b4b1n28kgpr414nuu.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Treatment-of-CIDP-by-Robertson-Donofrio1.pdf

    Have they denied treatment with Plasma Exchange too? You may also want to look into programs offered by the IVIg manufactures such as CS Behring here:
    http://30g7el1b4b1n28kgpr414nuu.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/The-PATH-Study-1.pdf

    I know what you are going through, I fought a “not a medical necessity” denial from Blue Cross for nearly a year before finally prevailing. Good luck!

    May 21, 2016 at 12:53 am

    I think it would be highly unlikely that a new Doc would accept results and treatment recommendations from another Doc. They usually re-run all the tests and then recommend their own treatment programs. The State of Florida has the worst reputation for this and has frustrated many forum members. i hope you find an exception to this trend.

    May 20, 2016 at 1:24 pm

    CIDP and GBS can be triggered by the seasonal influenza vaccine; the flu shot; the diphtheria, pertussis, and tetanus shot, or DTaP immunization; the hepatitis-B vaccine; and the measles, mumps and rubella immunization (MMR vaccine). Another vaccine that may trigger CIDP is the polio immunization.

    I would never want to take the risk of having my CIDP return and possibly causing worse damage than it already has.

    Infants are protected by their Mother’s immune system (called passive immunity, because the baby has been given antibodies rather than making them itself) for a few months, longer if they are breast fed (mother’s antibodies are passed for a longer period). Their own immune systems kick in after about a year. Their first immunization, given when a baby is two months old, includes whooping cough and Hib (haemophilus influenza type b) because immunity to these conditions decreases the fastest. Passive immunity to measles, mumps and rubella can last for up to a year, which is why the MMR vaccine is given just after a baby’s first birthday.

    I think you are at greater risk than the infant if you were to get the suggested shots. This, however a very personal family decision.

    May 16, 2016 at 7:23 pm

    Plasmapheresis and Plasma Exchange (PE) are similar, but very different. PE is usually recommended for CIDP. If it wasn’t PE, that could be why you had no response. The main difference is the tissue depth/penetration and the thoroughness of the cleansing process of PE.

    I had about 80 PE’s in total to take out the antibodies that were attacking “self”. After that was taken care of, IVIg worked to keep my system from creating more bad antibodies. IVIg alone, won’t remove bad antibodies already in your system, that’s the job of PE.

    One form of chemotherapy I’m aware of that has been proven to help CIDP is Rituxan. There was a clinical trial using Cyclophosphamide but it was withdrawn:
    https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT01236456

    However, some evidence exists supporting its use to treat certain types of CIDP:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3105635

    May 16, 2016 at 4:02 pm

    Do not wait! Prompt diagnosis and treatment are essential for limiting the nerve damage this disease can cause.

    Please read the following publication for more information about diagnosis:
    http://30g7el1b4b1n28kgpr414nuu.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/CIDP.pdf

    I have had all the tests mentioned accept a nerve biopsy, which, in my opinion, can be saved for last if needed at all.

    A Nerve Conduction Velocity Study (NCS or NVS) may be most beneficial in diagnosing CIDP/GBS.
    Conduction/velocity studies are tests that measure how well individual nerves can send an electrical signal from the spinal cord to the muscles. Nerve conduction studies are often used to help diagnose nerve disorders, such as carpal tunnel syndrome or Guillain-Barré syndrome.

    During a nerve conduction test, a health professional places a shock-emitting electrode directly over the nerve to be studied, and a recording electrode over the muscles supplied by that nerve. The shock-emitting electrode sends repeated, brief electrical pulses to the nerve, and the recording electrode records the time it takes for the muscle to contract in response to the electrical pulse.

    Diagnostic uses for nerve conduction studies include:
    • Detecting and evaluating damage to the peripheral nervous system, which includes all the nerves that lead away from the brain and spinal cord and the smaller nerves that branch out from those nerves.
    • Identifying the cause of abnormal sensations, such as numbness, tingling, or pain.

    The electrodes often penetrate the skin and can be briefly painful. Sometimes I had a little bleeding following being poked. If one is on blood thinners (Coumadin, etc) the technician needs to be made aware of it. Ask your doctor if you can take a pain reliever (Tylenol, etc) in advance of the study to minimize discomfort. Wear loose fitting clothing; you may be given a hospital gown to wear anyway. Since electrodes will be placed on your skin, make sure the surface is clean and free of lotions and oils that might interfere with results. Ice the area after the tests to help reduce any discomfort.

    May 2, 2016 at 11:51 pm

    I’ve been taking 1200MG per day and it seems to help me. Others have reported a return of minor symptoms when they discontinued it. The symptoms went away when they restarted taking it.

    Not all ALA is alike; I researched it and found the one here that I take:
    http://www.supplementwarehouse.com/viewitem.asp?idproduct=162545

    April 29, 2016 at 9:04 pm

    There are several chapters in Florida, Fort Myers may be the closest. Contact the ones nearest you:
    http://www.gbs-cidp.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/GBS-Directory0613.pdf

    Best of luck!