Yet another success story-10 years later…

• Anonymous
      August 27, 2006 at 8:45 am

This is the first time I have even looked up GBS on the net – I just wanted to forget the whole episode! But, I notice that a lot of people are talking about recent experiences, and as I had GBS ten years ago, and consider myself a success story I thought someone might gain from a longer term outlook. I wish someone had told me it would all be OK at the time!

I was 21 and I had GBS about as badly as you can – respirated, no blinking or even really swallowing. I was in intensive care for about two weeks and then a main ward for about a month and then I had what they think was a relapse, which set me back to the respirator again. It was very painful and humiliating. I wouldn’t let anyone come and see me, and, after four more months I discharged myself. I couldn’t walk at all, but had enough strength in my arms to get by, and I went to live with my dad in the middle of nowhere. I had a very poor attitude throughout the entire ordeal – no positive thinking for me!

My point: It took a year to walk again. I did none of the physical therapy recommended, but I did resume all the things I was into before – surfing, skating, dancing and riding motorcycles (which it turns out, you can do with floppy ankles!). I also more recently got into snowboarding and kitesurfing. Two years later I took up running and, although it took 3 years, I ran my first 10k race in 2002. Since then, I have become more involved in surfing and kitesurfing, and have travelled all over the world competing. I still run often.

I still get really really tired sometimes, especially after doing things that require balance – such as surfing. Sometimes, when I am really tired I can’t swallow properly (which is a problem in the water) and I can’t stand up in the dark! I can’t drink either. And my feet are pretty numb still – covered in cuts all the time. And there’s this weird thing with my blood pressure sometimes..OK this is not sounding too inspiring so far..

But my point – the doctors thought I was toast. My mother took power of attorney, plans were made, my brother even bought a suit. And I was angry, depressed and unco-operative to boot. But even I got better! And the best part is, every physical action I have ever done since then feels absolutely brilliant. I get a kick out of walking to the mailbox – and that’s ten years later!

So, that’s all I have to say.

• Anonymous
      August 27, 2006 at 5:01 pm

sg,

Welcome and glad you decided to look us up and post here. I love to read a success story. You sure have come a long way and are an inspiration to us relative newbies. Take care and hope you come back and share your experiences and ways of coping with this stuff.

Jerimy

• Anonymous
      November 18, 2006 at 6:34 pm

Thanks for the hope you make fell better because I don’t get the therapy I fell I need but I have noticed that certain movments just came back without any type of therapy but its been four years and I’m not walking yet but I fell it coming, so Thanks for the story.