Will I ever be better?

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      robing
      Participant

I was diagnosed with CIDP April of 2016. I began the loading dose of IVIG also in April of 2016, I then went to once per week for a year, then every other week for 9 months or so. My doctor tried to space it out to every 5 weeks and weakness, falls came back. I am now on every three weeks, I can tell when it’s wearing off as the pain worsens. I was on gabapentin but the side effects I had were worse than dealing with the pain. I’ve tried cynbalta and other pain meds that off the top of my head I can’t remember. I guess my question is does anyone ever get back to their old self, totally? I used to walk 15 miles a day (I worked in a warehouse) I also used to lift 20-30 pounds all day long. Now I need two hands to lift a gallon of milk and my arms still shake. Guess I’m just looking for a happy ending.

Mark Robichek
      Participant

I’d like to offer you a little bit of hope. I was misdiagnosed with GBS in September, 2016, but when symptoms returned in March, 2018, I sought out a better doctor, and he confirmed that I really had/have CIDP. I was put on a regimen of Prednisone and IVIG in July, 2018 and by November, 2018, I was pretty much back to normal (whatever that is!). In January, 2019, I switched from IVIG to SCIG, mainly so that I could travel if I wanted to without worrying about getting IVs everywhere. I’ve been slowly backing off of the Prednisone, and everything is still hunky dory; my symptoms have not returned.

If you’re not improving at all, you might want to seek out a doctor who specializes in GBS/CIDP. For me, it made all the difference. Good luck!

Peanut-WI
      Participant

I’m with you. I was diagnosed in April, 2018 and still need a walker around the house and a wheelchair when I go anywhere. I think everyone is so different and they don’t have the answers yet. I’ve had good doctors and even went to Mayo Clinic. I’m still not getting better.

Hang in there!

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.