Anyone Had Problems With Nails, Skin, or Hair???

• Anonymous
      October 26, 2010 at 11:09 am

A year or so before diagnosis I noticed some changes in my skin, nails, and hair. All became really dry and the nails became very brittle with pronounced vertical ridges. Last year I went on a trip which required more walking than I normally do. When I came back home I went to my local doctor and she was alarmed at the condition of my feet and toenails. Within three months my toenails fell off and “normal” ones eventually grew back. With the neuropathy I did not even feel them fall off. Sounds weird, but true. I practically bathe in lotion and have to use a lot of conditioner on my hair. I also notice a lot of hair loss but lucky for me I have thick hair. I have never been on chemo and am not taking any medications previous to IVIG that should cause this. Have any of you experienced these type of problems.

• Anonymous
      October 26, 2010 at 1:03 pm

I am also losing quite a bit of hair. Never noticed this before CIDP.

Always picking hair from my clothes

Rhonda from Canada

• Anonymous
      October 26, 2010 at 2:23 pm

Hair skin and nail, rash problems are common to all auto immune diseases.

I think most people from Lupus, to Sjogren’s to MS, etc, experience this at one point or another if not through the diagnosis.

I know I do!

• Anonymous
      October 26, 2010 at 4:43 pm

I went through a period recently where my hair was falling out by the handfull. I have very thin hair so it was a bit disturbing. My dr told me it was stress of course but I can’t help but wonder. I don’t have CIDP but I do have flare ups fairly often from my GBS. I was diagnosed 7 years ago. I know my hair and nails were a mess the first time around. Just my nails were affected the 2nd time I had GBS. One never knows I suppose.

• Anonymous
      October 26, 2010 at 8:41 pm

Thanks for the replies. Up until a few years ago I had nice smooth nails and shiny hair. When the hair shedding and the nail problem started it progressed slowly so I initially thought it was just aging. Little did I know that my body was waging an internal war before I knew I had CIDP.

• Anonymous
      October 26, 2010 at 9:18 pm

I have also noticed that my hair is coming out alot. I notice it the most when I am drying and styling my hair, there is hair in the sink. I can see in the front where it is thinning. I asked my dr. about it and he said it wasn’t from the IVIG. He also said it could be from stress. I am so sick of hearing that excuse, they use it for anything a woman complains about. It’s either stress or hormones. I guess us women only have to get rid of stress and balance our hormones and every thing in our lives would be wonderful. Well I guess I will have a drink and put some valium in it and then eat lots of yams to balance my hormones and life will be wonderful. LOL 😀

• Anonymous
      October 26, 2010 at 9:42 pm

But I’ve also had some thyroid and cancer issues pop up along the way, so… nothing is definitive? [BTW? Both of these can and do affect nails, skin and hair!] See if you can get ANY copies of blood tests the CBC’s [complete blood counts? And/or Better yet? CMP’s Complete Metabolic counts] Look out for the ‘*’s on test results which indicate too high or too low! THEN take a look at the #’s which are near marginal…sometimes taking certain supplements can and do help in these quarters. Especially the Vit B’s and D’s!
      One thing I did notice was the lack of hair growth on some parts normal for me and the extra growth on other parts… more than normal for me.
      One site I’ve gotten from others is the following?:
      URLhttp://telemedicine.org/stamford.htmURL…. Go to the index on the left side and click on ‘Diabetes in Skin Disease’ and I’ve been told to read the ‘Abstract and Introduction’…they’re chock full of info about now the skin reacts to not only diabetes, but other immune issues.
      Try to keep your SKIN…the largest organ of any body? IN the best of condition possible! And then? Your insides as happy nutritionally as possible, I’m no health nut, but I do realize that my ability to asorb many key nutrients might likely be compromised…entering into the world of ‘supplements’ tho? Is as confusing, if not more confusing than CIDP! Only YOU can sort out all the info YOU need to feel you are doing all you can. AND, it can be a hassle at times for sure. BUT? At least you are TRYING TO HELP YOURSELF! Just don’t try the ‘cure all neuropathies’ for $69.95+ S&H! They don ‘t list all their ingredients and cost far more than buying stuff selectively and separately. Don’t get snookered.
      Give it a whirl? A try and see if it helps! Mite be just what you need.
      Hope laughter and hugs!

• Anonymous
      October 26, 2010 at 9:50 pm

I agree 100%!!!! I have noticed the same things. Because we are women maybe we are not taken as seriously. Example—I take my husband to the doctor with a bad upper respiratory infection and he is given a thorough exam and gets an antibiotic injection and prescriptions. I go to the doctor with the same symptoms a week later and he barely examines me, calls it a virus gives me an Rx for cough syrup.

My hair is shedding so much that my husband says that it is clogging the drains. I have mentioned it to a previous doctor but I guess it did not seem pertinent to him. I bet if my husband went to the same doctor with hair loss he would get a ton of free samples of Rogaine. Ha!!!

• Anonymous
      October 26, 2010 at 10:01 pm

Hi Homeagain,

I really pay attention to the lab work. I am taking Vit D per prescription due to very low result of a lab test. You mentioned the hair loss in certain parts and more in other areas. My hair loss seems to be all over. Even the hair on my arms and legs is sparce and very light colored now and I am a natural brunette. However my scalp hair is still dark except for the graying at the temples. Strange!!!

• Anonymous
      October 29, 2010 at 11:33 am

A while back, I was speaking to a gentleman on an airplane. He was in his seventies, and had just hiked the Grand Canyon, rim to rim. He made a statement about being sure he was going to lose his big toe-nails, and probably a few others. I’d never heard such a thing, so I asked my wife, who is also a big hiker. She said that it’s not uncommon for people to “kill” their nails on long, steep hikes. The constant beating of your toes against a graded slope, I guess, effects circulation, similar to if you hit your nail with a hammer, or slam it in a drawer. The circulation is disrupted, and the nails come off, to be replaced by “new” ones in a month or so.

So, I guess my point is that nail loss, especially after a period of increased hiking/walking, wouldn’t be that big of a surprise even for “healthy” people; CIDP and other similar conditions probably just exacerbate the condition.

All these issues are probably “hormone” related, and we all know that auto-immune diseases wreak havoc on hormone balances/levels.

Elmo

• Anonymous
      October 29, 2010 at 11:57 pm

I did not know about the problem with hikers and toenails. I had never had problems with my toenails previous to this disease. I now wear clog type shoes so I have plenty of toe room.