What would you say to the FDA

• Anonymous
      April 28, 2007 at 1:09 pm

This week I came across a report that has been on my mind a few days now. The FDA has a draft document that proposes to reclassify dietary supplements as medicines, not food – which they currently are.

Vitamins, minerals, herbs, oils, homeopathy, nutritional supplements, plant enzymes, etc, if classified as ‘medicine’, will be subjected to all the standard drug testing procedures and obtained only through a prescription by a medical doctor. This “guidance” document, by the FDA’s own admission, states that “the practice of CAM has risen dramatically in recent years. . . . and that visits to CAM providers each year exceed those to primary care physicians”.

The full document can be found here:

http://www.fda.gov/OHRMS/DOCKETS/98fr/06d-0480-gld0001.pdf

I don’t know how the FDA could pull off such a huge undertaking – each time a prescription drug is found to have serious health defects, the FDA states they do not have the budget to properly investigate these meds before they go to market. Nevertheless, the thought that this “guidance” could pass under the radar is scary.

Comments from the public will be accepted until April 30th. After that, the comment period will be closed. Here is the online comment form for those of you that would like your voice to be heard:

http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/oc/dockets/comments/COMMENTSMain.CFM?EC_DOCUMENT_ID=1451&SUBTYP=CONTINUE&CID=&AGENCY=FDA

Here are a few links to other insights into this issue:

(fairly conservative view):
      http://www.anxiety-and-depression-solutions.com/articles/news/FDA_alt_med_0407.php

(highly vocal view):
      http://worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=55349

cd

• Anonymous
      April 29, 2007 at 1:17 am

I believe I will definitely have to make my voice heard on this issue! I’m tired of “safety” being a governmental catch word used to trample on our freedoms. 🙁

• Anonymous
      April 29, 2007 at 6:57 am

They’ve been trying to do this for a few years now. I think it’s fueled by money…what isn’t with the government?

The FDA doesn’t make any money off of vitamins & supplements. They make money off of “drugs”. So if they make the vitamins “drugs” then they’ll get some cash out of it. I’m sure it also has to do with pressure from the drug manufacturers, because you know…they don’t make enough money either.

I’m going to have to add my 2 cents to that public comments section. Although I really don’t think it will make much difference.

I’ve become really jaded lately. Can you tell?

Kelly

• Anonymous
      April 29, 2007 at 4:28 pm

I wish I had known earlier – tomorrow is April 30. The FDA tried to do this about 8 years ago. Doctors do not know enough about supplements in order to prescribe them. I have had to teach my doctors about them. I was told that doctors are NOT allowed to prescribe a certain amount of vitamins, etc unless they have studied it and gotten certified in it. My doctor who got me through my first bout of GBS was really knowledgable about supplements. I spoke with a patient of his and he is no longer doing this. I bet they got to him. I would be lost without my supplements. I would most likely leave the country if this happens….and I do not say this lightly. I have studied wholistic health for 35 years and know a lot more than most doctors do.

• Anonymous
      April 29, 2007 at 4:43 pm

You can GOOGLE FDA ….the phone number is 1-888-INFO – FDA or 1-888-463-6332 I intend to call tomorrow……I got through two bouts of GBS with my mega vitamins…I know they worked because when I went off of them for a 24 hour urinalysis, it felt like I was run over by a truck. I quidkly took 16 grams of vitamin C and the pain stopped…as well. The adrenal extract turned the GBS around……but I had to take alot because my doctor explained that it is difficult for the body to absorb it. I have stopped shingles in myself and friends with just vitamin C……people have it for weeks or months if they go to a doctor and don’t take the C. You can lower blood sugar levels with alpha lipoic acid. Diabetics can stop gangrene with vitamin C and a few other supplements. This isn’t stuff I just read about. I have tried it or my friends have tried it and it worked. GOd help us if doctors can ony prescribe it.

• Anonymous
      April 29, 2007 at 5:37 pm

Carolyn,

I just tested the link – it works for me.

[url]http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/oc/dockets/comments/COMMENTSMain.CFM?EC_DOCUMENT_ID=1451&SUBTYP=CONTIN[/url] UE&CID=&AGENCY=FDA

The site (fda) says if you are a mac user, you must use safari browser. I don’t know why, I use firefox and it works fine. It may be better if you have a written reply, as that can be better documented than a phone call.

I am right there with you – I treat my daughter holistically now, and she has not been to the doctor’s office in more than 4 months. Most importantly, she is doing very well and I’m impressed with her continuing progress. I will concede that although she showed improvement approximately 6 weeks following my implementation, it could be co-incedental. BUT I DON’T WANT THE FDA TO MAKE THAT DETERMINATION FOR ME.

Onebirdie captured the essence of the debate: freedom of choice.

cd

Edit: I see the problem: look at the end of the line where I submitted the link – remove the [/url], and continue copying the rest of the link in the next line. It may be easier to copy and edit in notepad first – then to browser. Hope this helps