What kind of bed do you have?

• Anonymous
      June 17, 2006 at 4:33 pm

Howdy-
      I have been reading the forums for awhile (since my mom was diagnosed in August of 2005). I read and read and read. I gained so much from all of your knowledge. The boards were a great source of support and information for me. I finally decided to post some questions a few days before the site crashed, so this will actually be my first time to seek advice and then be able to actually read your responses! ๐Ÿ™‚

I was thinking that as the day grows closer that my mom will be moving home, I know that regardless of whether she comes home walking, using a walker or in a wheelchair, she will require a bed that is easier to get in an out of and to sleep on. Just an FYI, mom is more of a spectrum end case where likely she will have long lingering effects so with all I’ve read about stress and fatigue, I want to make sure I invest in a bed wisely.
      I was thinking of getting an adjustable bed–

Do accessories like heat and massage help?
      Which kind of bed have you found to be most comfortable?
      What type of mattress is best?
      You get the drift….

So, let me dip into the fountain of your wisdom, o’ wise ones!!
      What do you sleep on?

Thank you so much!
      Stephanie

• Anonymous
      June 17, 2006 at 5:28 pm

Greetings from Music City,
      I hope all is well with you and yours. I have had CIDP for a few years. [url]http://www.gbs-cidp.org/forums/showthread.php?t=294[/url]

I started having back problems a couple of years ago. I came home from rehab / w a hospital bed. It was Hard! I am slender (and hansome) ๐Ÿ˜‰ and it about killed me. My wife made a bed on the floor to stay in the same room with me. I could not sit up without help from the bed or my wife. We purchased a select comfort bed, sleep number bed. The foot and head both raise and lower, it has an air matress that can be induvially adjusted. It has the massage on it, no heat. Heat makes me weak, and the drone of the massage helps me go to sleep at times.

[url]http://www.selectcomfort.com/air_mattress_beds/sleep_number_bed.cfm?cmref=bluelogo[/url]

If it where just me, I would go for a single adjustable bed with an air mattress. I can walk sometimes, even when I can’t push myself up from the bed. I raise up the foot of the bed and slide off on my feet holding my walker, and off I stumble. Also when I’m really bad, It takes the strain off of my back by sitting me up and I use a slideboard to transfer to my chair. Hillrom makes hospital beds and such. [url]http://www.hill-rom.com/usa/index.asp[/url] Maybe check there. I hope this helps. I hounded the PT people when I was in rehab, and was able to get the hospital bed I had, rented for a few months, and paid for by my insurance. If u can swing that, be sure and tell them she needs an air mattress, overhead bar, and anything else u can think of.
      Good Luck , God Bless—
      P.s after reading a couple of post. The bed i have u cannot change the height to the floor. Like jermiys, it is a pillowtop. Keep an eye out for a used one. I used the time I had with the one being paid for to search around. Craigslist is one source I know of. GLuck

• Anonymous
      June 17, 2006 at 6:24 pm

hi stephanie, welcome to the family to you and your mom. best wishes go to your mom. before you invest in heat and message options make sure your mom can tolerate them. for me i am having alot of problems with heat—i love it but my lower body seems to hate it now. i also can’t stand for the message on my body-it gets my nerves going really bad. just my opinion. take care.:)

• Anonymous
      June 17, 2006 at 6:28 pm

Hello,
      I can only add what I can relate to. As long as your sleeping positions have not been effected, I would prefer an adjustable bed. This didn’t work out for me because I would get heartburn really bad, which developed into ulcers, so the only way I can sleep is on my side (I don’t think you can bend in an adjustable bed on your side):D An adjustable bed is good because you need to have it low enough so that both feet are placed flat on the floor. And you want the height of the bed adjusted so that it’s just below mom’s “seat” level. You usually don’t have the strength to “hick” yourself “up” into bed.
      Liz

• Anonymous
      June 17, 2006 at 8:26 pm

I’ll add to Cheryl (our resident Angel!). Anything with a buzz/vibration drove me nuts and still does sometimes (the fatigue thing). My Uncle thought he was helping me with a foot massager ~ oh my goodness!! Just the other day I was receiving a demonstration on skin rejuvination, on the back of my hand. Suddenly, I jump and then realized it “hurt”. I had to reassure the doctor that I was “OK” ~ just don’t do that to me again!! The great part was I was participating in a health fair ๐Ÿ˜ฎ So, it’s the trial and error thing and it can be different from one time to the next. Good luck.

• Anonymous
      June 17, 2006 at 9:25 pm

My personal preference since GBS was I went from a pretty hard bed to a pillow top and that works well for me. I think an adjustable bed might be nice for your mom so she can eat, read in bed and also getting up from a somewhat sitting up position would be much easier. Your a wonderful daughter for thinking of all this ahead of time ๐Ÿ™‚

Jerimy

PS-I would of and still do hate heat or vibrations when sleeping. But I think those would be nice options only so she is able to get whatever she needs to be comfortable.