Wearing AFOs?

• Anonymous
      March 31, 2009 at 8:56 pm

I have been wearing them for about 2 years now dr says i dont need them. Anyone else worn them then stopped? I h ave been walking around without the lef tone and using my walker. It feels strange. I also need this ankle fused but cant get that done until the 25th. still numb in my hands and feet dr now says it is CIDP.
      Amy

• March 31, 2009 at 9:03 pm

If your doc reccommended you do something and you feel comfortable doing it, then you should do what feels right to you. Something that I noticed in your post is that the doc is considering cidp as a new diagnosis. If it is cidp, it is not improving, but getting worse without treatment. It would make me think that the afo’s might be more necessary than ever. You are the best judge, you know if they aid or hinder you. Good luck!
      Dawn Kevies mom

• Anonymous
      April 3, 2009 at 3:04 pm

I had to scale back my AFO usage until I felt comfortable to go all the time without them.

First a couple of hours then days then I stopped wearing them all together, after a while…..

With a new Dx of CIDP, I’m not sure.

BTW, I was at my Neuro last week, and because I had GBS in 1993, and then again in 2007, she said that “automatically” I was classified as CIDP. I thought that was interesting.

Brett

• Anonymous
      April 3, 2009 at 4:33 pm

Amy,

Brett has the right idea. I did about the same thing almost 20 years ago without a doctor telling me to do so. Although I still have foot drop in both feet and very weak ankles it is still better than wearing the AFO’s. Do your best at getting away from wearing them. Especially since the doctor told you that you do not need them.

Jim