Walked out of hospital after 6 days

• February 6, 2017 at 11:53 am

Hi everyone,
      I was diagnosed with GBS on the 25th January 2017. The symptoms started with tingling in my hands and feet. Within three days I had lost the ability to run. I’m 55 and a keen runner and, although finding this odd, thought it might be a trapped nerve or something. By day 7 I was struggling to walk 20m and could not walk upstairs without aid. I had also developed numbness and pain in my hands, arms and neck. I went to the doctor and they sent me for blood work to rule out a virus. The blood work came back clear. I saw a different doctor the next day and they sent me to A&E in Oakville Ontario with suspected GBS. A lumber puncture and nerve conduction study confirmed the diagnosis. I was immediately given IVIG treatment and stayed in hospital for 6 days. Other than feeling like a pin cushion the care was excellent. Fortunately my condition stabilised and I was allowed home last week. I’m left exceptionally weak and still in mild pain. However the outlook is very positive and the neurologist expects me to make a full recovery. I’m counting my blessing given the impact of this condition is so much worse for so many people. Although it is a emotional strain going from a highly fit and active 50 something to not being strong enough to leave the house. I wish all of you with this condition a quick return to health.
      Best, David

• GH
      February 6, 2017 at 12:46 pm

A very good outcome. Best wishes for your continued recovery.

• February 11, 2017 at 8:28 pm

David I am pleased you are doing well I have all of the same symptoms and was told that the treatment is not offered in Canada and I would have to go to the states I am cannot go back to my doctors and try and get the treatment here and see if I can have Okam cover it was told that the treatment is not offered in Canada and I would have to go to the states I am cannot go back to my doctors and try and get the treatment here and see if I can have Ok

• February 11, 2017 at 8:30 pm

Sorry for the typo error in last message. I also live in Oakville. I assume you were treated at the new. Hospital correct.

• February 12, 2017 at 7:09 am

This was very similar to my GBS. I was diagnosed on the 13th February 2015 and out of hospital by the 20th. However I wish someone would have told me how hard recovery would be afterwards, with no follow up care.

Despite this, we were lucky

Wish you all the best