Voice recognition program

• Anonymous
      September 3, 2007 at 4:55 pm

Hi, I just wanted to tell everyone that I just got my voice recognition program set up today. I am using the Dragon 9. In my reading, after I bought it, both online and off, I came across a report from PC world regarding the Dragon.

I run XP so I needed the program as the semi program that comes with XP was not what I was looking for. This program is wonderful.

But one thing I read is about the new windows program “Vista”. It had a write up on that as well. It comes with a voice recognition program in it. It had high ratings, so I told a friend about it whom has Vista.

Anyway, he checked it out that night, (you have to search for it) as most don’t know it is there. He typed “voice recognition” in the search and found it right away. The next day he was already using it. (He did have to go into the control panel to turn the mic on but other then that, he had no trouble)

In comparing notes from the 2 programs, it sounds just like Dragon. I thought there may be others on here that may want to try using it, if they have Vista and are having trouble typing. In other words, no need to buy the dragon software.

Just an FYI

Blu

• Anonymous
      September 3, 2007 at 5:03 pm

Thanks for the heads up. I’m waiting for the first major update before I buy Vista. I made the mistake of buying XP when it first came out. I spent most of my time looking at the blue screen of death.

When I do get Vista, I’ll make sure I check out the voice recognition program.

• Anonymous
      September 7, 2007 at 10:38 am

[QUOTE=bluangel]Hi, I just wanted to tell everyone that I just got my voice recognition program set up today. I am using the Dragon 9.
      [/QUOTE]
      Blu, did you get the basic version? I saw it for $99 and am considering buying it. My only hesitation is not knowing how it would handle my accent. Is there any mention of that under help? I asked Allaug who I think is using it but she hasn’t answered yet.

• Anonymous
      September 7, 2007 at 3:44 pm

Norb,
      I had an older version. There are “training” sessions where you have to read a prepared text. The software “learns” how you pronounce the words. Every time you use it when you have to make a correction, it also learns from that.

• Anonymous
      September 7, 2007 at 6:05 pm

Norb,

Yes, I did get the basic version 9 for 89.00 here. It updated once I installed it to 9.5. (The other program was 198.00) It was capatible with Vista. But reading the box, both could be used on Vista. I have XP and don’t plan to change it. Microsoft will continue to give updates for XP until the year 2014, unlike the previous OS where when the new one came out, they stopped giving updates. I figure XP will last me a long time and that version 9 was well suited for my needs.

Jim is correct about the training. As you read, it starts to learn your voice. Then when you begin using the program, it still makes mistakes, but as you correct it, it learns from it so eventually works very well. My neuro uses the same program for his dictation, version 9.5.

I am typing right now, but must admit when using the program, at first it is rather comical how it hears your words. I said saying, it type insane, I said breezy, it typed greasy. But like I said once you correct it, it learns it and it is pretty easy to install and use.

Blu

• Anonymous
      September 7, 2007 at 11:04 pm

Blu, did you buy yours at a store or on-line. I only found one website offering it for $99.

It’s comforting to hear that MS is going to support XP that long. I am happy with it and am not planning to switch.

Can’t wait to get Dragon. This post must have taken me 10 minutes. No idea what keys I kept hitting that took me back to the previous page several times plus all the corrections I had to make.

• Anonymous
      September 8, 2007 at 12:23 am

Norb,

I understand about how long it takes to type a post. Problem I have is that when I do make an error, along with trying to move my fingers to do it, is that I no longer have letters on my keyboard. I ran a web site, for 5 years with 48 message boards and wore out alot of equipment, and the letters on this keyboard. I need to find that marker…:confused:

When I first came here to the site, I looked at all the messages, and thought to myself, how do they do that. My hands and arms hurt so bad that I would be in tears trying to continue to run my site. (I am manager in name only now) Then I think it was Doc David that posted something about the dragon software. I knew that I had to save and get the program.

I bought my software in the next town, at Staples office supply. I prefer buying in the store so I get the discs right away in case of problems.

Have a storm here and need to get offline. Have a good evening and have fun with the software when you get it.

Blu

• Anonymous
      September 8, 2007 at 7:10 pm

[QUOTE=bluangel]
      Have a storm here and need to get offline. Have a good evening and have fun with the software when you get it.
      Blu[/QUOTE]
      Blu, you are the first one to see my Dragon voice on the computer. I just bought the software thank you for giving me the tip to check out Staples. We don’t have one here in Ft. Collins so I called around and they all were $99. So we called Stables in Loveland 15 miles from here. And guess what it was only $89 with a $50 discount. So I ended up paying only $39. Can you beat that? It took a long time to set it up but I passed the training without any problems. Installing the service release took quite a long time and so did the training so it’s been several hours now since I started but it’s a lot of fun. It’s amazing how few mistakes I am actually making so it kind of got used to my German accent. What I noticed to say “go to bottom” doesn’t work it gets me back to the posts so I have to use my fingers again.

By the way, I just read that Microsoft is coming out with a new service pack number three early next year.

Okay this is enough for now I’m kind of tired. talk to you later.

P.S.Wow I can’t believe it. This software is really cool.

• Anonymous
      September 8, 2007 at 7:53 pm

Blu, you’re the first one on the forum to see me using this new software. Thank you for the tip to check out Staples. Since we don’t have one in Ft. Collins I called around and they all ran $99. So I checked Staples in Loveland 15 miles away from here. And guess what it was $89 and a $50 rebate. So I paid only $39. Can you beat that?

I’ve been playing around with it all afternoon it took quite a while to install the service pack and then training. But it’s a lot of fun. It’s amazing how it got used to my German accent. There are still some silly mistakes and I have to pay attention to what it types. But it’s unbelievable how easy it makes using the computer now. Hardly any touching of the keyboard.

By the way, Microsoft announced release of WinXP service pack three early next year.

[IMG]http://www.bluemarble.de/forum/Dragon.jpg[/IMG]

• Anonymous
      September 9, 2007 at 5:37 pm

I really hope your Dragon Dictate will work well for you, Norb, but on the other hand (;)) what I really hope for is you getting Rituxan and recovering so well that using your fingers on the key-board will be as easy as it was pre PDN!

You look so proffesssional on the picture, and really chic with the plate in the background that makes it look like you’re wearing a hat ๐Ÿ˜€

Best wishes

• Anonymous
      September 10, 2007 at 10:38 am

Alaug, thanks. No, that’s not a plate, that’s my special halo (The German Heiligenschein says it better):D ๐Ÿ˜€ ๐Ÿ˜€