Vocal cord paralysis

• Anonymous
      August 28, 2006 at 8:27 pm

[COLOR=”Purple”][SIZE=”2″]Hi all, had a EGD(upper scope) today. I was having trouble maintaining my voice, coughing, reflux, etc. He said I had a paralyzed vocal cord and now I have to have a swallowing study and the all to delightful barium swallow. This can be caused by several things, including neurological diseases. I was just wondering if anyone else has had this problem, and if so what was the treatment. thanks, Vicki[/SIZE][/COLOR]

• Anonymous
      August 29, 2006 at 12:41 am

Hi Vicki ~ this is one of the residuals that I still deal with, especially when I am over-tired from over-doing:( Time, patience and rest is the usual Rx.

• Anonymous
      August 29, 2006 at 2:49 am

Hi, Vicki.

Swallowing and breathing problems were the first sign that I had CIDP–although it wasn’t determined that they were caused by CIDP until several years later, when I started having the ‘normal’ tingling and numbness in my extremities. My singing voice has gone from a decent alto to an abysmal baritone, I’m constantly clearing my throat, and sometimes I have trouble getting enough volume to be heard. So far, nothing has helped with my autonomic symptoms.

Have the tests run to make sure there’s nothing else going on, but make sure the doctors running the tests know that you have CIDP. They’ve probably never heard of it.

Deb

PS: when I had the barium swallow, the tech had me take a big mouthful of the stuff and hold it there while she adjusted the x-ray machine, only to discover that the machine had been switched off. I stood for five minutes with the mouthful of barium waiting for the machine to warm up. She finally told me to swallow it and, as I did, the machine finally came to life. She wasn’t happy with the results so she set me up for a gastroscopy–which is another story!

• Anonymous
      August 30, 2006 at 6:25 pm

Vicki,

I had GBS and with it came a paralyzed vocal chord. I couldn’t speak above a whisper for 3 months.

It cleared up spontaneously one day. I had speech therapy afterwards and couldn’t tell if it helped or not.

However, when I am tired or stressed, my voice sounds “crackly” and I have to make an effort to get good volume.

I hope yours will get better soon.

• Anonymous
      August 31, 2006 at 4:01 pm

Passed my swallowing study yesterday! I’m taking prevacid for the reflux, which seems to be helping. As far as the voice, it’s a good excuse to cut short a phone conversation if you don’t feel like talking to someone!LOL..thanks for the above comments………….Vicki

• Anonymous
      September 6, 2006 at 7:57 pm

O.k, the saga continues……………….I got a call from my neuro’s office today. Now I’m scheduled for an MRI next tuesday of the head and soft tissues of the neck. I thought they were calling the wrong person. The receptionist called back later to confirm it was me. The nurse is out today so didn’t get to talk to her. The receptionist said it was because of the symptoms I’ve been having ie. difficulty swallowing, reflex, voice. My brain is fried right know but does anyone know what an MRI would show to explain these symptoms? thanks, Vicki

• Anonymous
      September 6, 2006 at 9:17 pm

Vicki,

I also had to have the MRI when I had vocal chord paralysis and it was to rule out other causes for the inability to speak above a whisper. I think they look for tumors or other obstructions.

Best wishes for good results.

Suzanne

• Anonymous
      September 7, 2006 at 1:37 pm

Hi Vicki,

I was dx with CIDP Nov. 2005. I went for a 2nd opinion in Jan. 2006. CIDP was confirmed. I mentioned to the neuromuscular neurologist that I constanly feel like I have a lump in my throat on the right side and that my voice seems different. It seems more obvious to me when I am tried but regardless it is always there. My voice is raspy sounding to me and sometimes it feels like I have been yelling and I haven’t.

My neurologist first said it would be more common with GBS than CIDP but that it could be sensory related.

I saw one ENT physician that examined my neck and did a laryngeal scope in his office and did not really see anything. That was in the spring. I feel I need a 2nd opinion, I see a different ENT doctor the 1st of Oct.

Anyway you are not alone. Please keep us posted of your results. It seems the neurologist aren’t sure what to relate it to.

Pam K

• Anonymous
      September 7, 2006 at 1:47 pm

Hi Pam, I agree with you. I don’t think the doctors know what my problem is related to either. Even though my swallowing study was normal, I still have trouble swallowing! I did actually sleep all night last night without waking up choking. That was a treat. Take care………Vicki