Immune System, Inflammation, Food, and CIDP

• July 10, 2019 at 1:26 am

After half a year of taking prednisone, and facing the prospect of having to take immuno-suppressants, it came to me that maybe there’s a way of getting the same results without the side effects – maybe through supplements? Diet change? Or at the very least lessen the dependence on our steroids. Maybe supplements that help reduce inflammation, or supplements that regulate ie lessen the immune system response

So before I pay for that big order of supplements from CVS, I’d like to hear from you guys if any sort of supplement has helped. Right now I’m looking at:

ginger pills
      garlic pills
      tumeric pills
      fish oil pills

My neuro has also been suggesting the keto diet, but I don’t think my heart can afford it (history of high cholesterol and high blood pressure)

• GH
      August 20, 2019 at 4:21 pm

None of the supplements you mentioned is a substitute for the standard treatments for CIDP. Prednisone is not normally taken long term. I took it for about a year, periodically reducing the dosage, while transitioning to an immune suppressant drug. Eventually, I tapered that down to zero as well, and now I take nothing.

• November 4, 2019 at 1:58 am

GH :After tapering prednisone to zero and even bringing down immune suppressants too to zero, are you feeling recovered from CIDP. How long did you take immune suppressants and its dosage. Kindly share.
      I am diagnosed with CIDP in July 2019 and now i am on Methyl Prednisolone and no immune suppressants now. Please also share, if you are aware, whether immune suppressants will be required while zeroing down steroid.