Vitamin Supplements

• June 7, 2008 at 7:22 pm

Hi

Has anyone had any success in combating the fatigue with vitamin supplements/anything else?

• Anonymous
      June 9, 2008 at 4:08 pm

I was wondering the same. Not just for fatigue, though. I was wondering about the “electricity” thats torments me, too.

I’ve seen herbal GBS remedies. anyone had any experience with them? I thought maybe fish oil would help my nerves. I take extra calcium with vitamin d and i think that helps with fatigue, along with B complex. Would any of you agree? And how about foods? They each have their own healing qualities. Know of any? I think i’ll do some research on this stuff.

have to warn all of you about herbs though – promised my sons liver transplant doctor i’d do this. NEVER EVER EVER USE CHEAP SUPPLEMENTS!!! My son’s illness wasn’t related to herbs, but i mentioned “going herbal” to him and he said that he was doing a steadily increasing number of liver transplants related to bad reactions to “dollar store” supplements. He’s seen capsules with tons of lead, etc, and not the ingredients that are listed on the label. He didn’t say not to use herbs; he just strongly emphasized buying the well-respected (more expensive) brand.

• Anonymous
      June 9, 2008 at 5:35 pm

Julie,
      I found that eliminating sugars and starches boosted my energy level immensely. I did Atkin’s for seven months and lost weight and had tons of energy. I added carbs the past month and am more tired. SO today I have gone back to mostly protein. It is much easier if you are an O blood type. I also eat according to my blood type. I gave up wheat, peanuts, corn, and potatoes. I can also see a difference in my face – my skin is luminescent. Once I started back of some carbs, I saw my skin go back.
      As for vitamins, I take 12-15 g. of vitamin C a day. This saved my life during the worst part of the GBS. It fights any infection because it is good for your white blood cells which do the fighting. I also take 300 mg of B complex and also COQ10 and E and adrenal extract.I don’t want to take up your time on this, so if you want to know more, read some of my old responses.

Jamie,
      Do you remember what brands we should avoid? Do you really mean Dollar store? I used Solar when I buy minerals since they are chelated and made easier to absorb. I mainly use Vitamin Shoppe. I have used it for twentysome years. I also noticed that when I gave up carbs and the foods bad for my blood type, my liver improved greatly.

• June 9, 2008 at 8:40 pm

I take a multi vitamin on one day and a b complex on another. Plus extra C, selenium (my multi doesnt have it), and have noticed that I feel better with protiens instead of carbs (although I love carbs). No stimulants because they set my nerves on edge. I was taking coQ enzyme and fish oil and felt an energy difference. Nothing beats a nap 🙂 some days I have more energy than others, and those are usually the days I feel almost normal. It’s hard not to over do things but I am reminded to keep a check on myself by my family.

I tried an herbal remedy called Nerve Fix. I got migraines from it so I had to stop. BUT I did feel less tingling while taking it. I am also leary of herbs because they are not regulated so ya never know what quality they are or if the dosage is correct. What is a trusthworthy company?

I would love to find out more about stem cell research. I think I would jump on board if they offered it for nerve related problems.

• Anonymous
      June 9, 2008 at 8:45 pm

doc didn’t say any specific brands. He just said to use the good, well-respected ones, like, from health food stores. I always go to the same place and trust the lady there, since she is very knowledgible. Maybe nature’s sunshine is one of the brands there, but im not sure. Did literally say “dollar store type” supplements (to avoid them). Said not to use the cheap stuff.

I’ve read in the past that many ALS people take coQ10 (to prevent choking since it decreases salivation) and also creatine (for muscles, like body builders take). Plan on taking these after baby is born.

I was gonna mention low-carb/high protein diet earlier, but didn’t know anything besides it made me feel absolutely wonderful before i got sick. I actually went off it because i had so much energy that i couldnt sleep. My “irritable bowels” went away, too. and i didnt feel as moody. I was in heaven! No belly pain and tons of energy!!! Yeah!!! Pregnant now, though, so i can’t do that. But ive been reading the south beach diet book and plan to do that after i have the baby. Even just following a diabetic-type diet is great for me, too, although im not diabetic.