Vitamin Bs and nerve repair

• Anonymous
      August 15, 2007 at 3:34 pm

Is anyone else out there taking any kind of Vitamin B supplement? I started taking Foltx last December when they discovered the MTHFR enzyme mutation and within 2 weeks I noticed I was [B]G[/B]etting [B]B[/B]etter [B]F[/B]aster… just curious if that is my own pecularity or if others might see similar effects. It did eventually level off but there was a sharp increase in recovery for several months before it evened out…

• Anonymous
      August 15, 2007 at 8:44 pm

Julie

I have always taken B vitamins, but I also add more B-12 on top of it. They
      do help in many ways. Each B is for specific purposes for the nerves. You
      really have to get top quality from a nutrition store or through prescription.
      Getting them at a grocery store doesn’t cut it. They are water-soluble, but
      you can take too much of Niacin. The rest flush out.

The most important thing to remember, is that you also need C and E, with
      B, plus calcium and D. You just can’t take one type of vitamin or mineral,
      you need them all.

I’m glad they make you feel good…nutrition is key.

Miami Girl

• Anonymous
      August 16, 2007 at 6:13 am

Thanks Miami Girl,
      The B complex I take is Foltx which is (Folic Acid) 2.5 mg, (B6) 25 mg, (B12) 2 mg. It’s a prescription primarily for people with hyperhomocysteinemia and is supposedly balanced so that you don’t get too much of any of them. No one has said anything about taking other vitamins and as a rule I don’t take pills if I don’t need them. I think that is something I will bring up at my next visit. I don’t want to just start taking a multivitamin when I’m already taking Foltx without consulting the doc first. I have a friend who took Vitamin E without consulting his doctor and it had an adverse effect with an anticoagulant he was taking – he almost bled to death. !!

What you say makes sense to me and the multitude of doctors I have been to probably just didn’t think about it. But maybe the rest of the vitamins will help with my energy level so I appreciate the information.

As a side note – I wouldn’t have thought a vitamin would make you have a foggy brain but unfortunately that is one of the side effects of Foltx – like I needed any help! :rolleyes:

• Anonymous
      August 16, 2007 at 4:28 pm

Hey Julie

Ask your doctor about taking more B-12, 2 mg. is absolutely non existant…
      B-12 is the one to give you energy. You have heard about B-12 shots given
      in doctor’s offices? It’s for energy and pumping up the nerves. Unfortunately
      the B family tastes and smells pretty rank…lol, oh how it works.

Most doctors take only hours of nutrition in school…so they are pretty lame
      when you ask them about such information. 😡

I’m glad to see that you are feeling better…:D

Miami Girl

• Anonymous
      August 16, 2007 at 5:06 pm

I’m always foggy at the doctors office because for some reason they always want me at the end of the day so they can spend more time with me, go figure… I’m brain dead by then. Anyway, I do recall him saying something about too much B12 does something to the level of folic acid, and not enough folic acid and my homocysteine level goes up because of this fun little enzyme deficiency we discovered. Here’s the funny part – my insurance company pays for the medication but not the test for my homocysteine level so I only know it’s going down when I can afford $181.00! Isn’t that funny? (grr)

I will ask him about the B12 shots, I’ve thought about it before but I guess I assumed that was being taken care of in the Foltx. I’d sure like to feel as good as I did yesterday more than once a month… and since I can’t feel the shot – what’s there to lose!

• Anonymous
      August 16, 2007 at 5:13 pm

Julie

How often do you need to take the test?

Miami Girl

• Anonymous
      August 16, 2007 at 5:24 pm

I’m going with twice a year – it SHOULD be under control by now so we are really just monitoring to make sure it doesn’t go back up under stress etc. At one point it was 14.9 but there is a lot of disagreement on whether a high homocysteine level actually does make you more prone to blood clots, mostly the insurance companies disagree… at any rate with everything else going on why take a chance on it so we treat it like I could clot up and I take baby aspirin too. And that is ALL the medication I take – baby aspirin and Foltx. (so far)

• Anonymous
      August 17, 2007 at 7:54 am

I am a firm believer in vitamins and supplements. We have a small mom and pop health food store here and the guy is more knowledgable than most drs. about aliments.

I don’t mind taking his recommendations but have a hard time giving Dell anything. His neuro. is also a believer in supplements so it makes it easier on me. At least I don’t have a dr. that says it’s all “bull.”

His endo. says he should be on extra calcium, vit. D and esp. a multi vitamin. I agree that everything should be bought at the health food store or some other reputable place. Walmart’s stuff is crap.

I wish I knew more about supplements but my litttle brain will only hold so much.:p

Love, Lori

• Anonymous
      August 17, 2007 at 9:19 am

Lori you are so funny!

I’m almost embarrased to admit that both my parents are/were chemists and my father worked in the vitamin industry for his entire career. His main project was creating water-soluable vitamin E but I grew up with vitamins so I should still be taking them or at least asking my Dad about which ones are good quality. 😮 I hadn’t even thought about asking Dad about them so I’m expecting him to chew me out for it… oh well, I deserve it. :rolleyes:

• Anonymous
      August 18, 2007 at 12:09 am

Julie,
      I noticed that your Foltx only has three of the B vitamins. The wholistic books suggest that one take a B complex before taking higher amounts of specific B’s or you will overload the rest of them. Your prescription does not include Thiamine, Riboflavin, Niacin, Pantothenic Acid, and Biotin. You might be getting creating an imbalance in these that I have mentioned. It’s just an idea. I have had great success with the B’s. I have not needed any pain medication and my fatigue in minimal. I think this is due to my supplements. I have just gotten off of my beta blocker and am keeping my blood pressure down with my supplements, but I take more than the average person.To me, it is worth it..

• Anonymous
      August 18, 2007 at 11:00 am

Keeping supplements in balance is so important! Be aware that it has been proven that anti-seizure meds (ie: neurontin) are known to leach Biotin from the body. Biotin is the main B vitamin for the health of hair, skin, and nails.

• Anonymous
      August 18, 2007 at 3:07 pm

Julie

Judi is so right about balancing the vitamins and minerals…although, I know
      you are taking Foltx for a specific reason.

That is so funny about your Dad…I would just be glad that he could help you
      with your choices…:D

Miami Girl

• Anonymous
      August 19, 2007 at 9:04 am

all i know is that i am on neurontin, i take monthly b-12 shots in the doctor’s office and every six months he runs the labs then and i am told to come in for the shots every week for a month and then back to once a month.
      i can tell a difference! i do feel alot better. the shots along with enough sleep seems to work. i don’t know what i would do without my shots!
      take care and good luck.

• Anonymous
      August 24, 2007 at 2:16 pm

Hi Julie,

There have been other threads on vitamin b12 that you could search for. But bottom line, I have been doing a lot better the last few months since I starting taking a megavitamin called… dang, I just forgot. Anyway, I get about 3,000 mg of B12 everyday. I got them from a health food store. I have been able to almost completely stop taking amitryptline. Carolyn has a brain full of information to share with us on vitamins and supplements – thank you Carolyn!

• Anonymous
      August 24, 2007 at 4:58 pm

Thanks, Chrissy. I use the same philosophy as they used in cleaning up New York City which was out of control with crime. They started with little things – arresting people who urinated in the steet, who didn’t pay for the subway, etc. Taking care of fixing the little things and not allowing the bad stuff changed the city as a whole. I think if you fix the little things that are wrong with the body, it won’t get out of control. Unfortunately, all of us who suffered through GBS had a body totally out of control. SO we have to take back control of it…little by little. I noticed that I had tooth pain from my gums pulling away from the teeth. I was taking enough of vitamin C so I tried calcium next to tighten them up. VIOLA. Pain gone and the gums were back to normal. I was afraid to go to a dentist because I did not want to get novacaine put into my system. It amazes me that most people do not want to use complimentary medicine. They are happy to stay on pharmaceuticals. If they read the side effects, they would change their minds. I am now experimenting with gemstones that help the nervous system repair itself.

• Anonymous
      August 27, 2007 at 2:09 pm

My Neuro seems to be one of the smartest I’ve ever seen and he told me he wasn’t big on suppliments but he wanted me to take 2. They were [U][/U]Acetyl-L-Carnetyn[U][/U] and [U][/U]ALLBEE with C[U][/U] . I had to find them on the internet and they are rather in-expensive. I also take 2 / 400I.U. of vitamin E each morning for leg cramps and charlie horses and have doing that for years without one. I used to have them almost daily but haven’t had 1 since I started the vitamin E. But of course I’m on a pharmacy of other drugs but I seem to be recovering rather quickly compared to most. They say I’m a miracle.

• Anonymous
      September 1, 2007 at 7:26 pm

My Neurologist has me taking B6. It supposedly is good for nerve health. I was already taking a multivitamin and a fish oil capsule every day. I believe that I had a quick improvement and then it seemed to level out. I’ll take whatever little steps forward I can get.

• Anonymous
      September 4, 2007 at 2:55 pm

If i don’t take my vitamin b’s I can tell the difference in one day. Stick to it!!Have a great one. xoxxoxo Roxie:D