Very odd or is it?

• Anonymous
      July 17, 2006 at 10:48 am

My mother was dxd with GBS in Febuary and has been in the hospital since then. She is doing very well for 78 years old. The thing is I spoke with her neighbor and found out that the neightbor has been dxd with CIDP and is getting IVIG treatments. This is really odd to me since these syndroms are so rare but to have 2 people on the same street living next to each other to get similar sicknesses. Has anyone any comments or similar situations?

• Anonymous
      July 17, 2006 at 11:14 am

Hi Donna,

I think it is very interesting! Member, Kenspdn, from the UK, has a thread where he mentioned something similar with regard to a neighbor (neighbour for Ken 😀 ) down the road from him. I think in the old forum there was discussion about ‘clusters’ of cases, so Im sure there will be some interesting facts that come out.

There was a thread started a couple of months ago, it is about what happened to my friend in South AFrica and her husband, it is very interesting, please give it a read. [URL=”http://www.gbs-cidp.org/forums/showthread.php?t=105″]http://www.gbs-cidp.org/forums/showthread.php?t=105[/URL]

• Anonymous
      July 17, 2006 at 10:15 pm

hi donna,

there is prolly some triggering device in the area & those susceptible get gbs. take care. be well.

gene gbs 8-99
      in numbers there is strength

• Anonymous
      July 19, 2006 at 10:58 pm

hey guys,
      that’s kinda odd because my cousin had gbs several years ago but he also just lives a few miles from me? quite unusual. I never thought about the fact that we live close together but just was curious about the fact that we are related and both diagnosed with gbs. no one else in our family has it or has been diagnosed with it anyway. I’ll have to stay up on this. take care all.

sherry

• Anonymous
      July 20, 2006 at 10:54 am

a family friend (and dad’s boss) died from complications of gbs. it was thought, he got it from a nearby river. i have been in that river many times, fishing, swimming and so on. we both were very active people, he was very healthy, and we both have grown up in the same area. i still see his wife, she is involved with pet therapy. if only his drs knew more about gbs, he wasn’t diagnosed fast enough and his dr was going to release him the day he past away. there aren’t enough drs in this area who know enough about gbs/cidp, in my opinion, and experiences.:(

• Anonymous
      July 20, 2006 at 11:27 am

I have also wondered why in a group of eighty academics that three would come down with GBS when it is a rare disease. Maybe Gene’s possible explanation of a common triggering factor is correct. Statistical theory does tell us however that with randomness one would expect clusters of events to occur but i haven’t worked out the probabilities.

Steve.

• Anonymous
      July 20, 2006 at 12:35 pm

Stephen,
      [QUOTE]Statistical theory does tell us however that with randomness one would expect clusters of events to occur but i haven’t worked out the probabilities.[/QUOTE] One thing you can bet on – if a statistical theory is ever figured out, it will be by you, Gene, me, or someone other than the doctors we visit. They couldn’t or wouldn’t figure it out if it smaked them in the mouth.

Jethro

• Anonymous
      July 20, 2006 at 4:56 pm

and another to add from my part of this country, my area, 2 blocks away another lady has gbs, also. could it be the water? we get our water from the lake that the river empties into. just another drop in the thinking tank!:) :confused: 😮 and of course, there is zeesuezee and others in the big city next to mine.:(