"Today I Ran"

• Anonymous
      March 2, 2012 at 3:41 pm

As many of you lay in your bed stricken with this virus called GBS, did you wonder what lay ahead for you? What was happening to your body? Asking questions like would I survive or would I walk again? I know that many of your stories have not ended the way you would have liked. Indeed many of you reading this may still be struggling with residuals. I am writng this as encouragement to those who have not given up on becoming better, those of you who are still setting goals and living life as best you can, enjoying the gift of each day. It has been almost 3 years since my diagnosis and I would like to share some good news. Yesterday I finished my 10th week of running……it’s a post GBS record……yes it was a hard fought victory, filled with ups and downs, but nonetheless, an achievement that needs celebrating. Not just for myself, but for those of you who need uplifted in spirit and need to know that over time good things can still happen. Share in my success knowing that it may soon be you that is writing about how well you are doing. (I think it helps knowing someone else has gotten better). The road we are on is not an easy one. Remain resolute, don’t give up! Keep a positive attitude and let me know how your journey is going. Take care………….

• March 2, 2012 at 3:53 pm

YOU are a BEAST!!

Rock on Tom!

• Anonymous
      March 2, 2012 at 5:41 pm

Nice. I needed to hear that today

• Anonymous
      March 2, 2012 at 11:29 pm

NGG,
      Thanks for calling me a “Beast”, LOL………now what shall we call a Northern Guitar Guy???? How’s your guitar playing these days? When can I expect the cd to hits the shelves???

• Anonymous
      March 4, 2012 at 12:27 pm

Hi
      I wrote a journal about my experience, hopefully you may find a smile or something useful in it
      http://www.experienceproject.com/stories/Am-A-Guillain-Barre-Syndrome-Survivor/1599141
      stay positive, remember it’s ok to ask for help, life is an adventure albeit sometimes a REALLY badly written one!
      take care
      levo

• March 4, 2012 at 1:16 pm

Hey Fetterman, you can call me what you want, friend! I’m loving your ‘never say die’ mentality! You gotta tough this demon out!

The guitar-playing is coming along, thanks for asking. Physically, I still struggle to get the hands doing what the brain tells them to. But I have learned a lot by having to improvise and adapt. I’m making better use of some of my effect pedals and have been able to put together some cool tones and grooves. Right now, I’ve been jamming on Stevie Wonder’s Superstition and Soundgarden’s Spoonman with some of the young musicians involved in this year’s charity concert. Lotsa fun jamming with young, energetic and enthusiastic youngsters!

I also streamlined some of my equipment. I realize I wont be gigging any time soon so I traded away my main amplifier for this sweet vintage Yamaha SG. This new toy helped keep the interest alive, plus it checks off a long time want for one of these babies!

My drummer has been going through all kinds of awful stuff as well, cancer and then a hernia because he didn’t heal properly. Then, because he was self-employed, he went broke and finally, he lost his house. But we still rock on, it’s in our DNA. I promise you backstage passes for some future event, but you may need to travel to the local dive to collect! Actually, we want to start doing charity gigs, hoping that we can start and more importantly, end our gigs at a reasonable time. I have a hard time seeing us packing up amidst the drunks at 2 AM! Here’s a clip we recorded last summer before his last surgery, he’s just starting to get behind the kit.

Stay in touch

• Anonymous
      March 6, 2012 at 12:23 am

NGG,

Nice jam session……..thoroughly enjoyed it!

• March 7, 2012 at 4:29 am

Thanks!

• Anonymous
      March 7, 2012 at 5:52 am

Welcome Back Chris!

• March 7, 2012 at 1:36 pm

Hi Mark! Thanks, good to be communicating with folks here. How are you feeling these days?

• Anonymous
      March 10, 2012 at 11:48 am

Pretty good. I am also now running, well using an eliptical bike. Doing two miles a day with an ultimate goal of 4.
      How’s teaching?

• Anonymous
      March 10, 2012 at 11:04 pm

Mark…..more power to you…….always good to hear there are others moving forward!

• March 12, 2012 at 2:12 am

Hey Mark

I’m back part-time starting in April, hoping to get back to full duties by the end of the year.