Tingling a year later – Neurologist says B12 deficiency

• December 3, 2017 at 3:09 pm

First of all, I would like to thank each and everyone of you that have taken the time to add their support on this site. It has been just over a year now since I was diagnosed with GBS……what’s GBS, no one has ever heard of it. I was the first person in my Doctor’s forty plus career with GBS. So when I showed up four times at the doctor’s office and emergency, no one knew what was wrong with me. Finally someone called a neurologist and she said to get me to emergency asap.
      When I got there she said to me “This is very serious, we have to start treatment right away.” Bell palsy had already set in on the R side of my face. Confirmed with a spinal tap, I was admitted to the hospital and given 5 treatments of IVIG. Nine days later, I walked out of the hospital with a prayer of thanks, as I knew, many of you are in the hospital for months and could not walk out unassisted.
      My symptoms were are follows:tingling L thumb – then tingling R big toe – weak legs – high blood pressure S 180 – could not get it down – at night severe middle back pain – legs/arms became weaker and weaker. We had book a tropical holiday, were to leave in four days, had my nails/hair done, packed ready to go, I was going!! Boy, was I wrong.
      Some pre GBS history. I was off work with tendinitis in my L right. Required to do physio treatments due to work insurance. Therapist informed me I was entitled to 21 treatments of acupuncture. Received very aggressive acupuncture in my L hand – every day, five days in a row for 2 weeks – started to complain that my thumb was tingling. Looking back at service I received – the area was not clean – they would put dirty hot packs on my hand, therapist used stabilizer hand gel – no gloves. Did not clean hand area. Who get 21 treatments in a row of acupuncture?? Just saying, just thinking, that this was the start of my GBS.
      It has been a long slow year of recovery. Lots of rest, physio, duloxitine – which is a whole new topic. I can carry on most of my domestic duties at home now, but not ready to head back to a very stressful/physical job. I am still having troubles with tingling hands and feet. My legs from the knee down are numb and my face tingles at times. Nerve conduction test say long nerve are just about 100%. Neurologist say B12 deficiency – the cause of my fatigue and tingling. Blood sugars are fine. She wants to send me back to work and I am not ready. Have had a series of B12 – no change, levels are good. Back at the gym working on muscle atrophy. I am having a hard time walk long distances and at a reasonable pack on my feet. They feel like I have elastic bands around my toes, they are numb and swollen. Can anyone give me some advice. Is this time frame reasonable…a year later. Will this go away. Is there some I should be doing/taking that will help me out. I have troubles with my balance because of my feet. I am at a lose. My face is tingling as I write this…maybe its all in my head!!!
      Thanks for your help.

• December 9, 2017 at 1:13 am

Hi jdspice,

Unfortunately, there’s no solid schedule that GBS follows; everyone recovers differently. I was told that upon reaching nadir, my body would rapidly begin to recover. Instead, I bottomed out and stayed there for almost a week until my neurologist put me on a high dose of prednisone. That seemed to initiate my recovery until things plateaued about a month later. Shortly thereafter, I was put on a longer, smaller regimen of prednisone, which again provided noticeable improvements.

Most literature I’ve read doesn’t really support the use of corticosteroids for gbs, but it may be worth a shot. At the very least, it can reduce any residual swelling (& pain) and potentially allow you to come off dilaudid. Best of luck!

• GH
      December 10, 2017 at 3:15 pm

Acupuncture is not medicine. In my opinion you should ditch that “therapist.” As for B12, it can’t hurt so go ahead and take it. Do not expect quick cures, however. Your foot problems may never go away. I am six years out of hospital and my feet still hurt 24/7. I can walk well enough so I just live with it.