Tightness in diaphram

• June 30, 2013 at 5:14 am

New member here!
      Recently diagnosed (50 days ago) with GBS. Was paralyzed from the neck down and have mobility in legs, arms, fingers but notice that I have tightness in the diaphragm below the breast bone like a belt around my chest. Wondering if anyone experienced the same? And also how long does the numbness last?
      Thanks!

• GH
      June 30, 2013 at 7:07 am

There can be considerable variation in the residuals depending on the extent of nerve damage. I was also paralyzed below the neck, but with CIDP. I never had breathing difficulties and did not experience the symptom you describe. Were you on a ventilator? If so, there may be residuals associated with that aspect of your case.

Numbness where? I am two and one-half years out of the hospital and still have some numbness in my lower legs. It may be permanent, but it’s not severe. At the same time I have hypersensitivity in my feet.

• GH
      June 30, 2013 at 7:12 am

By the way, 50 days is much too soon to worry about the extent of recovery. A lot of recovery can take place in a couple of months, but then the rate slows down if there is axonal nerve damage. You can expect to have residuals for one to three years, and some may be permanent.

• September 2, 2013 at 7:34 pm

GH, diaphragm tightness went away about a month ago. Still got the numbness and tingling in my hands and feet but not as severe. I know it’s still early since coming down with GBS so I’m praying that it too will eventually subside.