The Sound of GBS

• July 18, 2010 at 4:02 pm

Hi All

I hope you are keeping well.

For the performing musician (amateur or professional) nothing looms more on their minds than messing up the song in front of an audience. For me it feels like I have no clothes on in an unimpressive manner. My GBS started hitting my hands during a gig while I was playing.

It happened during a charity concert I produce once a year. All of the proceeds we generated went to Free the Children who build schools in developing nations. The musicians involved were all 12-14 years old except for myself the ham, who just cant resist jamming with these young energetic and crreative people.

Up on stage in front of a friendly crowd of 500 people I was rocking out guitar/vocals with Adrien on drume and Anthony on bass. The third song in our set was Buddy Holly’s Heartbeat’ which we had turned into an all out rocker. Though we were bumpy (and I was off key) we set up a nice crunchy opening and proceeded towards the obligatory guitar solo.

Now to be honest, I am not much of a soloist, prefering to groove with the rhythm secton, throwing in the odd lick here and there. But goshdarnit, I had practised this solo until it was easy to rip off. Playing in a hard-rockin’ trio to me means the guitarist has to solo loud and on the attack to make up for thee loss of dynamics when the chords end.

Alas, my hand froze on me right at my moment of local glory. I could feel shooting pains in my fingertips and my hand felt like it was locked. The band stayed tight and somehow I managed to pull it together and finish the song. I went on to finish the set’s last song (Leaving Here with Michael on drums). On the recording it is evident that my playing sounds weak, however the boys sounded great playing harder to keep things rockin’ and a rollin’.

This was the last time I jammed as I was nearly paralyzed after three days passed. I want to share these tunes with you all because the guys sound so good this moment should not be lost. I know that you will all forgive me for weak playing. The link is:

[url]http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=1088068[/url]
      Best

• Anonymous
      July 19, 2010 at 12:28 pm

Just had time to listen. You guys rock!
      Laurel

• Anonymous
      July 19, 2010 at 6:24 pm

Sorry your fingers & hand froze up, I know the feeling.
      smitty

• July 19, 2010 at 8:08 pm

Thanks Laurel and Smitty, I send you hugs!