The Ides Of March

• Anonymous
      March 16, 2008 at 11:34 am

Yeasterday was March 15th – the ides of March. The soothsayer warned Ceaser “beware, the ides of March are upon us”. Silly. But on March 15th 1993 that quote kept echoing thru my mind. That was the day I awoke to find my world had turned upside down. I got up to prepare breakfast and get the family off to work and school, but I couldn’t walk straight! I was bumping into the walls and couldn’t focus on anything. I set out the box of cereal and bowls and announced that I was returning to bed and going to start over later. I had a pesky sore throat for over a week, but didn’t feel really bad. When I got up later abd still couold not focus or walk straight I looked at myself in the mirror carefully and saw that my eyes were turned completely in to my nose and would not move for anything! That was the beginning of my journey. That silly quote from Julius Ceaser kept echoing in my head – and I felt a sense of doom. The merry-go-round to Dr’s began – I was lucky. Though no one knew what was going on – they realized the seriousness of it and got me appointments with another type of Dr “pronto” and by 1:00 the next day I was in my Nuero’s office -huddled in a wheel-chair hugging a barf-bag. He put me into the hospital right then and there and started the tests. His first guess was MS, but tests changed that to GBS by the next day. IVIG was started, and my new journey began. One I am still on. On March 15th each year I still feel haunted. Yes. that’s silly. I bet every one of you has “something” that haunts you, too.

Alma
      GBS-MFv 1993 and 2004

• Anonymous
      March 16, 2008 at 11:38 pm

Wow Alma,
      It sure held true for you didn’t it. Yes I believe we all have something about this that will always haunt us and our diagnosis date is probably the biggest one of all. Mine being October 24, 2003 and then again July 4 2004. I’ve done pretty decent since then but will never be the same and will probably never trust my body 100% again. (:rolleyes: )

Sherry

• Anonymous
      March 17, 2008 at 2:25 am

I want to chime in on this one :)………my “GBS hit” was Labor Day weekend, 2004…………won’t ever forget that one!! Yikes! 😮

Per

• Anonymous
      March 21, 2008 at 11:39 am

Hi – just had to post here since it was 3 years ago (3/14/05) that I had my first symptoms, tingling in the hands. On Wednesday (3/16) I went to the ER to be checked. After spending all day and not getting any diagnosis, I asked the doctor if it could be GBS, and he said no. Two days later I went in again and was admitted for GBS before the night was out. I have no recollection of anything from 3/19 until 5/6 when I was in ICU. A lot of what many have experienced. Needed to go on a ventilator, had pulmonary embolisms, severe pneumonia, staph infections all over (incl. MRSA), and was dropped during a transfer. All this info courtesy of my wife who was 7 mos pregnant.

So the ides of March are tough for me too. Cmpared to many, i’m doing fairly well now. Still have residual nerve issues with right hand and both feet and a horrible loss of strength.

It’s also worth noting as to why on the 1st day I asked about GBS. The person I worked for had it in 1999, another person I worked with had it a few years later, an uncle of mine had it in the 80’s !

• Anonymous
      March 21, 2008 at 3:36 pm

On May 8 2005 I was travelling from LA to Denver by train. I did this trip twice a month and, having gotten tired of flying, thought I would go by train for once. I was fine in the morning, went to train station and got in line for my train. When they called it everyone rushed forward and I was terrified to find I couldn’t move my legs to walk. It felt like 100lb weights had been added to them. I got to the train, crawled on board (everyone thought I was drunk) and rode for 38 hours while I got weaker. I managed to drive home from the train station ( I had forgotten my cell phone the previous day) and was hospitalized the next day. I thought I was on the train for days and can’t stand the sight of them today. Even the sound of a train whistle gives me the creeps. Jeff

• Anonymous
      March 24, 2008 at 1:07 am

Having been a high school English teacher before I got sick, I was always warning my 3 children to “Beware the Ides of March.” I am sure they thought I was crazy! But in hindsight, I realize now that my own symptoms started on March 16, 2002, so just one day later. We had been snowmobiling all day at our cabin & that evening I came down with excruatiating upper back pain. My back would go numb that same week.On March 27 by hands & feet also went numb, & by April 27, 2002 I woke up & could no longer walk & had lost the use of my hands.

I would remain in this condition until the summer of 2004, when I was finally able to begin walking with a walker & AFOs. I also was able to get about 70% of the use of my hands back. Those 2+ years were the worst of my life. Strange to think it has already been 6 years of my life already that I have lived as a disabled person… Yet, today on Easter Sunday, I cooked, served & cleaned up for our Easter dinner for 6 adults all by myself (as I do every holiday dinner.) I try to live as normal a life as I can possibly do, even though I know I will pay dearly tomorrow…
      Pam

• Anonymous
      March 27, 2008 at 4:28 pm

May 5 is my date of bad things that happen in hospitals.

On May 5, 1988 I had a hysterectomy and my bladder was torn during the surgery. Had to wear a catheter for 5 months and then have another surgery to repair it.

On May 5, 2005 I had a colonoscopy/endoscopy and that afternoon had my first GBS symptom. Went to the Dr. the next day and was misdiagnosed and sent to an endocronologist, was misdiagnosed and sent on a planned vacation. Wound up in the ER in a different state that diagnosed me within 2 hours and started treatment.

I will probaly never have anything done on that date again.