Tears?

• Anonymous
      March 13, 2010 at 12:32 pm

When I was lying in bed almost totally paralized my eyes began uncontrollable tearing. I just lay there and cried – and unless my husband wiped my eyes I had an almost constant wet face. My doctor told me this often went along with GBS.

From time to time the tears start up again – not as constant, but enough that I have to carry tissues in case. Today I am tearing again – not running down my face, but significant enough to make my nose want to run, too.

Does anyone else have the problem of excessive tears? I know GBS is enough to want to make us cry, but does it have to do it for us?

Lets keep smiling, okay?

• Anonymous
      March 13, 2010 at 2:28 pm

Hi Cathie
      I can tell you as a grown man trained for decades not to cry that now I need to leave the room when a hallmark commercial comes on TV. A couple of times in the hospital I openly wept. So whether its the GBS or the knowledge of how fragile we are, we cry. Keep some tissues on hand and keep your chin up
      Harry
      My glass is not half empty nor half full: I am happy to have a glass.

• March 13, 2010 at 5:10 pm

I think you mean they just happen, right? The cranial nerves do get affected.
      Not sure if it is a symptom of miller fisher variant, or if just vision is associated w/miller fish. but it is worth a look see

• March 13, 2010 at 5:10 pm

I think you mean they just happen, right? The cranial nerves do get affected.
      Not sure if it is a symptom of miller fisher variant, or if just vision is associated w/miller fish. but it is worth a look see

• Anonymous
      March 13, 2010 at 7:28 pm

Hi Cathie,

I was a resident at a rehab facility along with a couple other GBS’ers. At least two of them had the constant tearing up that you mentioned. It’s amazing how almost everything can be affected with this horrid illness.

Harry, I totally understand where you’re coming from regarding being a bit more emotional post GBS. Prior to being laid flat with GBS, I was a pretty tough customer and would go years between shedding tears. Well, yeah….not anymore. I rarely watch sad movies and have been known to turn the channel if certain commercials are on; especially ASPCA commercials. 🙁

Take care,

Tina

• Anonymous
      March 13, 2010 at 9:28 pm

My eyes were badly affected when I got GBS. Darkened vision, extreme sensitivity to light, constant bobbing white spots in my vision, sometimes flickering vision (like being in a lit room where the lights suddenly go off, then on again); and though my vision has improved after 2 1/3 years, these things are still there. Lots of weeping: some emotional, and also because my eyes water verily easily now. A bit of a breeze outside, a ray of sunlight across my sunglasses, and tears are dripping off my face.

The onset makes us so weak and fragile. Fighting to live and recover is such a constant battle, it takes so much from us. Our very soul grieves its own loss. And the pain brings tears to our eyes over and over again. And the fear that we’re going to die from it, unless God grants us healing. It all takes a toll.

But there are also tears of gratitute to God for sparing us, and a new realization of all that we have to be thankful for, all that we still have, how precious our loved ones are to us. There’s a shifting in our priorities. We don’t have the time and strength to do some of the things that used to fill up our lives, to be some of the things we were. And now even a very little thing can be important and touch our deepest feelings.

I am still amazed that God brought me through the valley of the shadow of death to continue my life. I only wish I wasn’t so weak now, so damaged in my own spirit. How can I please and serve the Lord now, when I am so changed, so different, constantly feeling frustration, pain and exhaustion in just trying to do the simplest things. Anger, resentment, bitterness, at times overwhelmed by my inability to cope. I throw myself on His mercy, because I am so diminished and constantly stumbling in my damaged mind, as well as my damaged body. Re-learning the mental and emotional disciplines again like a baby…just as I am…”Just As I Am”.

• Anonymous
      March 14, 2010 at 7:23 pm

To those of you who asked for clarification – yes, it is just uncontrollable water coming out of my eyes – no emotional tie – just tearing. I appreciate knowing I am not alone in this – and Harry, I do carry tissues all the time now, both for the unexpected tearing, and for the emotional.

I was able to go back to church today, and the loving supportive welcome I got brought the tears on. And being included in the Prayers of the People really called for a couple tissues. Being able to participate in communion (even though the pastor had to bring it to me called for yet another tissue. But those were all emotional – and yes, I think I am more emotional now.

The ASPCA commercials make me cry too!

So I’ll just let both types of tears flow, and know there are other GBSers who cry with, and for me. As I do for you. I am so glad to have found you all.

Church was wonderful. It is a clear, blue, 70degree Sunday afternoon in Southern Arizona. A light breeze makes this a “Chamber of Commerce” day. I think I’ll go sit on my back patio and enjoy the day, the dog, and the wonderful pink toenails my husband so graciously painted for me this morning.

Even with GBS, so many reasons to smile through the tears.

Thank you all.

• Anonymous
      March 14, 2010 at 10:41 pm

Hi Cathie
      I have a lot of experience with watering eyes. My Dr. said I have a “puny blink”. This causes the eyes to dry out rapidly so your tear ducts go to work in overtime to rehydraite them. Actually a good moisturizing eye drop is very helpful to keep them balanced & then the waterworks can rest. Also try to figure out if your eyes are coming open while asleep, This causes serious drying out, too and increases the water works to go into action later.
      I am happy to hear of the progress you are making.
      You’ve come a long way, baby!

• Anonymous
      March 14, 2010 at 11:39 pm

I also had lots of tearing. I am now three years out from the start of this and do not remember tearing from the beginning, but 2-3 months into this and for about a year and a half to two years later, I would have tears just roll down my face whenever I was really tired. It was not emotional. I still have it happen sometimes, again when I am really tired, but not so much, maybe only every other month or less. It is kind of hard to explain to others; I would tell people I was not crying, just having water come from my eyes. I do not think that it was compensatory for eye dryness. I also still have frequent times in which my eyes fill with tears, but they do not happen long enough for the tears to run down my cheeks and be noticable.
      The only things that helped were rest and tissues and time. I tried hydrating drops on the theory that it was a dry eye problem and these did nothing for me.
      WithHope for a cure of these diseases

• Anonymous
      March 15, 2010 at 10:36 am

Cathie, kudos on your great attitude. I shed tears every day just because I am more emotional about my situation and I think that it has messed with my hormones. I was a pretty tough cookie and this has really thrown me for a loop! Glad to hear you were able to go to church and that your faith is helping you get through this.

• Anonymous
      March 19, 2010 at 2:38 pm

Add me to this list (5 yrs ago today was hospitalized for GBS and there for 12 weeks, 6 of them in ICU).

Like some of you, I need a trigger, but it’s fairly low and then the water works start.

Mike

• Anonymous
      March 21, 2010 at 1:22 pm

Hi Cathie,

You mentioned that you were almost totally paralyzed and I wonder if that also affected the muscles for closing your eyelids. I could not close mine all the way and the doctors were very worried about that since too much dryness could cause permanent damage. In my case I did not make enough tears on my own and so they had to put eye drops in very often.

Like all the others who have responded, I also became much more emotional as a result of GBS and have more tears than I used to (good ones though!).

Frank

• Anonymous
      March 22, 2010 at 12:52 pm

Frank –
      Thanks for the input. My paralysis stopped at my elbows so I could shrug my shoulders, turn my head, talk (thank heavens!) and eat. I was horse in my voice, so my lungs were a little affected, but I never went on a vent. I can’t remember about my eyelids – that was a fuzzy time for me – but I do remember the constant tearing. I think I could close my eyes, though. I have gone through another round of tearing this weekend, and I hate it because my nose runs, too, or I get congested. My husband found Kleenex with Vicks in them, and boy do they clear the head! They helped as much as anything.

Yes, I am pretty emotional these days. I was on the phone with my beloved Mother the other day (she is 84 and we talk at least once every day) and I just started to cry – the topic was the garden she was planning for this season! No explanation for our behavior, I guess.

Good thing that we have love and support from home and from Above.