Tamiflu Anyone?

• Anonymous
      November 3, 2008 at 9:28 pm

Recently I had my annual physcial exam with our family Doctor, and he wrote an Rx of Tamiflu just in case I get the flu.

Like my Neurologist, my family Doctor reminded me not to get a Flu shot. I travel a lot in my work, and am exposed to lots of germ and viruses, so my family Doctor wrote me an Rx for Tamiflu to carry with me at all times. He told me that Tamiflu will actually kill the flu virus, and, at the first sign of flu symptoms, to start taking it. I was impressed that my regular Doc came up with this idea. Has anyone else’s physician recommended you keep Tamiflu on hand?

• Anonymous
      November 4, 2008 at 5:08 am

Sounds like a good Idea. I run around the country quite a bit too. Was told last week, NO Flu shot. Then I am thinking, what if I am on the road and get the flu really bad, what should I do?

I don’t know how that stuff works, or if it can be negative with CIDP, but I am going to ask. Great suggestion!

• Anonymous
      November 4, 2008 at 1:15 pm

Never heard of Tamiflu. I’ll check with doctor.
      Thanks for mentioning it

Rhonda

• Anonymous
      May 5, 2009 at 7:09 pm

Since I first started this thread last fall I’ve been exposed to the flu on airplanes and at a national meeting with folks who definitely had the flu. At that meeting I took one Tamiflu per day as a prventive measure, and I didn’t get the flu. There have been a couple of times that I felt like I was coming down with the flu, so I took the Tamiflu, and I never got the flu. I carry it with me in all of my travels.

• May 5, 2009 at 7:14 pm

Not a doctor or medical prof., just a mom, but if you keep taking tamiflu as a preventitive, your body will not be able to respond to anything else should you get the flu and need it. I was under the impression that it should be used only when absoluteley necessary so that you do not build up a resistance to it.
      Dawn Kevies mom

• Anonymous
      May 6, 2009 at 6:41 am

My doc told me the same thing – come get it if I get the flu but don’t take it all the time.

• Anonymous
      May 6, 2009 at 4:09 pm

One of the good things about an overactive immune system is that, over the years, I have not come down with the flu. In the past I have always been the guy taking care of the one who came down with the flu. One of these days things may change so just in case I beginning to think that I just might want to keep a prescription for tamiflu handy.

• Anonymous
      May 6, 2009 at 4:23 pm

My immune function is over the top, too. I typically don’t get anything for years, while my family suffers with every cold and flu. Then one slight sore throat and a few weeks later…GBS. My doctor told me to avoid tetanus and meningitis vaccines as well as flu shots (actually, she said I probably would never need a shot again). We focus on keeping my immune system “cooled down”. I recently got melatonin to help me sleep, and quickly returned it because the warning label said not to use it if one had any autoimmune experience. Who knew?

• Anonymous
      May 10, 2009 at 8:27 pm

The two times I’ve been hospitalized for GBS followed a bout with the flu. I’ve only taken Tamiflu when exposed to the flu, and it worked. I don’t take it regularly. However, I’ll check with another doctor.

• Anonymous
      June 30, 2009 at 1:42 pm

Hello,

Does anyone know if GBS folks can take Tamiflu? A co-worker was diagnosed with H1N1 last Thursday and although she doesn’t work on my side of the building, I’d rather be safe than sorry.

Now, this may be in my head :rolleyes: but my throat has been a bit scratchy and my chest has been aching a bit the last two days. I don’t have any flu symptoms (unless the previous two items can be considered symptoms) and am torn about visiting the doctor.

Any advice on Tamiflu would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!!

• Anonymous
      July 3, 2009 at 1:37 am

wow! I havent been sick since the flu that gave me GBS in 2002. I knew that there was an autoimmune correlation but it is nice to here that others have the same phenomina. I notice neuro symptoms while everyone else around me is sick with viruses. I work as a preK teacher and those children expose me to every virus the first world has to offer but still no sickness for me. they are little vectors those kids