Swine Flu Shot

• Anonymous
      August 9, 2009 at 11:01 am

Is there any information out yet on whether we are at risk if we take the swine flu shot? I am nervous about any kind of vaccinations anymore. I haven’t had a shot for anything in the past 6 years following GBS hospitalization and I haven’t been sick at all, not even a cold. Wish I could say that about my aches and pains though.

• Anonymous
      August 9, 2009 at 3:35 pm

Hello
      In 1976 they came out with a Swine flu shot and had to stop it in a month due to the explosion of GBS cases in people. I got GBS from a flu shot. I made a post on the main page about the flu shot All I can say is DO NOT TAKE ANY FLU SHOT OR NEUMONIA SHOT.

• Anonymous
      August 14, 2009 at 4:08 pm

There is a great website by Dr. Mercola….just Goggle him -and he explains what is in these immunizations and how dangerous they are. Once you read those articles, you would not ever think of getting one. If you cannot get to his site, let me know, but there should be no problem. He has unbelievable articles.

• Anonymous
      August 18, 2009 at 7:47 pm

All I know is, I’m not taking it; I don’t like vaccines that mess up my brain, body, nervous system, muscle system, give me stroke symptoms, leave me with paralysis, and keep me from walking.

And I’m thinking of wearing a large badge that says something like:

Get the Shot, Not the Flu???
      2007 Flu Shot Results:
      Walking = NO
      Medical Walker = YES

• Anonymous
      August 31, 2009 at 3:10 pm

This is the first time I have posted since joining. I have also been thinking about the vaccine. I looked up some studies of the GBS link to the swine flu vaccine that was given in 1976 and those seem to conclude that it raised the chances of getting GBS by 7 times — from about 1 out of 100,000 in the general population to 7 out of 100,000 among those taking the vaccine.

I am pretty sure that it was medicine (a wrong one it turns out) that caused my GBS (in October 2007) so I am too going to avoid the vaccine, now that I know I am prone to such reactions. It may still be rare to get GBS from vaccines, but it is definitely a good to spread the word about the risk to all those you know so that they can seek appropriate care if GBS type symptoms arise.

• Anonymous
      September 1, 2009 at 3:01 am

Does anyone have some UNBIASED information on the flu vaccine, and GBS risks? After getting GBS following a bad cold 4 years ago, I’m nervous about the possibility of it happening again. Which has the higher risk of causing GBS? The vaccine, or the flu it might prevent? Is there any data on the safety of flu vaccinations for post-GBS people? I’ve never had a reaction to any vaccination, but I’ve never had a flu vaccination.

I consider vaccines to be part of preventive medicine, and generally a good thing (when was the last time you saw someone with Polio?). It’s easy to forget about all the diseases that are prevented by vaccines, and only look at the side effects.

• Anonymous
      September 1, 2009 at 8:38 am

[QUOTE=cei121]Does anyone have some UNBIASED information on the flu vaccine, and GBS risks? After getting GBS following a bad cold 4 years ago, I’m nervous about the possibility of it happening again. Which has the higher risk of causing GBS? The vaccine, or the flu it might prevent? Is there any data on the safety of flu vaccinations for post-GBS people? I’ve never had a reaction to any vaccination, but I’ve never had a flu vaccination.

I consider vaccines to be part of preventive medicine, and generally a good thing (when was the last time you saw someone with Polio?). It’s easy to forget about all the diseases that are prevented by vaccines, and only look at the side effects.[/QUOTE]
      Cei under MAIN FORM we have some reasons why we choose not to take the flu shot. One thing is it does not protect you from this yrs flu. Only last yrs flu. My doctors said NO as I got GBS from the flu shot. In 1976 when they had a swine flu break out 30% of the people got GBS from the shots. also they now feel that many polo cases were GBS not polo. Many states will not give the flu shot to anyone who has GBS. It is your choice. I choose as many many do and say NO. Ask your doctor if they take it ????? (Lakoda)

• Anonymous
      September 1, 2009 at 12:12 pm

[QUOTE=mochacat]Cei under MAIN FORM we have some reasons why we choose not to take the flu shot. One thing is it does not protect you from this yrs flu. Only last yrs flu. My doctors said NO as I got GBS from the flu shot. In 1976 when they had a swine flu break out 30% of the people got GBS from the shots. also they now feel that many polo cases were GBS not polo. Many states will not give the flu shot to anyone who has GBS. It is your choice. I choose as many many do and say NO. Ask your doctor if they take it ????? (Lakoda)[/QUOTE]

According to the CDC, the association between GBS and the 1976 vaccine wasn’t nearly that strong:

[url]http://www.cdc.gov/FLU/about/qa/gbs.htm[/url]

Other articles say it increased the risk of getting GBS by about 8 times (which is still rare).

I can certainly understand not getting a flu vaccine if that’s what caused your GBS, but that wasn’t the case for me.

I guess I will wait and see what happens to the people who are receiving the first batch of the vaccine before making my final decision.

• Anonymous
      September 1, 2009 at 3:56 pm

[QUOTE=cei121]Does anyone have some UNBIASED information on the flu vaccine, and GBS risks? After getting GBS following a bad cold 4 years ago, I’m nervous about the possibility of it happening again. Which has the higher risk of causing GBS? The vaccine, or the flu it might prevent? [/QUOTE]

Talk to your Drs. they are the ones that know and understand your case. My dr told me that he’d rather take the chance and vaccinate me as the side effects from that are more easily treatable than if I got the flu. That is for me though and my case. I didn’t get the vaccine last year when he told me that and I am still hesitating on this years.

• Anonymous
      September 1, 2009 at 4:10 pm

[QUOTE] One thing is it does not protect you from this yrs flu. Only last yrs flu.[/QUOTE]

Not quite true. Every year they predict the top 3 or so strains which seem to be the most prominent. From the prediction time to time of vaccine production and dispensing takes 10 mos. For the most part they are correct, although sometimes they have one or more of the strains wrong. So sometimes the vaccines used do contain the correct types and other years one or more may be wrong.
      Last years strains used for the vaccine were:n A/Brisbane/59/2007 (H1N1)-like virus; A/Brisbane/10/2007 (H3N2)-like virus; and B/Florida/4/2006-like virus.
      Some of the flu going around was one of the Brisbane strains, but another flu emerged after the strains were picked and also ended being apart of the flu season but not the flu vaccine.
      Some years they are spot on, and other years not.

• Anonymous
      September 1, 2009 at 9:43 pm

My Dr. told me several months ago that chances of GBS from the flu are double those of getting it from the flu shot. Mine was not associated with any vaccine. However, she recommended that my children have the flu shot but that I do not for the time being (at that time it was within 1 year of GBS onset). I have read that it is not recommended within the 1st year of GBS onset. I’m not educated on risks involved with the swine flu shot so can’t speak to that one.

• Anonymous
      September 2, 2009 at 11:50 pm

It is my understanding that anyone who has had GBS should not get a flu shot because it raises your risk of having a relapse or getting CIDP.

• Anonymous
      September 3, 2009 at 12:08 pm

Any live virus vaccine can cause GBS, but flu shots are worse than most and swine flu shots carry an even greater risk. England has already alerted their doctors to be on the lookout for an increase in GBS due to the swine flu vaccine. If you read the release for flu vaccines, GBS will be listed as a possible side effect and some will advise that people who have had GBS not take them.

• Anonymous
      September 3, 2009 at 1:00 pm

My neurologist said to stay away for now because I still have antibodies from the GBS… Check with yours.

• Anonymous
      September 4, 2009 at 3:28 pm

Ok, my questions are. What are people with GBS allowed to take if they get the flu? And how likely is it to get GBS again if you do come down with the flu? I got sick right after I came home from the hospital last fall and my doctor told me I would be fine, not to worry about getting it again. He said people only get GBS once, usually not twice. Is this right? I still have residuals from the first bought with it. My feet are still numb, tungly and burning.

I am also not sure what to do with my children. I have an 11 year old and a 4 year old. I do not want them to get the flu shot do to the thought of them getting GBS but on the other hand is this new strand of flu bad enough to take the risk. I personally don’t think anything that may casue GBS is worth the risk but then again you can’t live in a bubble either. I guess I don’t know enough about the FLU to make an educated guess on how serious it would be for me and my family.

So I guess now I need to get educated. Any thoughts on this or knowledge about this is more than appreciated.

Sorry for rambling and Thanks All!

• Anonymous
      September 4, 2009 at 3:32 pm

Kristin since you and CEI 121 are an authority on flu shots and have in a round about way say I and others do not know what we are talking about then I will stop posting as you’ll are the one everyone should listen too. I will remove what I have posted so that everyone will know they are getting the right information from you’ll. Bless you (Lakoda)

• Anonymous
      September 17, 2009 at 10:03 am

Missy,
      I had GBS twice – twenty years apart. But mine was from major stress both times. So please don’t focus on getting it again. If you know why you got it the first time, then you know what Not to do! You need to stay away from sugar and starches and stress.
      I take lots of different vitamins and herbs to prevent a cold or flu. Many of these herbs are as good as antibiotics as long as you take the correct ones for the bacteria or viruses that you have and enough of them. Oregano, olive leaf, echinacea, golden seal, pau d arco, etc are in my cabinets. But the main thing I take is vitamin C. For those that say it doesn’t work, I ask them HOW Much did you take. It kept down my GBS symptoms so I was able to breathe and swallow – not stand though. I also take vitamin D3 and A to support my immune system. I have studied wholistic health for thirtysome years. It allows me to not fear the flu. And I certainly WOULD NOT even think of getting immunized. For those that say listen to your doctors – I say HAH! WHich ones? The leading dermatologist who told me I had flea bites when they were actually shingles!! The ones who told me to get a hysterectomy when I didn’t need it?? It is hard to stand up to the medical profession – they were educated by pharmaceutical companies – but I did and am much healthier.

• September 20, 2009 at 1:26 am

[QUOTE=missy5]Ok, my questions are. What are people with GBS allowed to take if they get the flu? And how likely is it to get GBS again if you do come down with the flu? I got sick right after I came home from the hospital last fall and my doctor told me I would be fine, not to worry about getting it again. He said people only get GBS once, usually not twice. Is this right? I still have residuals from the first bought with it. My feet are still numb, tungly and burning.

I am also not sure what to do with my children. I have an 11 year old and a 4 year old. I do not want them to get the flu shot do to the thought of them getting GBS but on the other hand is this new strand of flu bad enough to take the risk. I personally don’t think anything that may casue GBS is worth the risk but then again you can’t live in a bubble either. I guess I don’t know enough about the FLU to make an educated guess on how serious it would be for me and my family.

So I guess now I need to get educated. Any thoughts on this or knowledge about this is more than appreciated.

Sorry for rambling and Thanks All![/QUOTE]

My family does not get shots. We have on occassion gotten a bout of the flu…I stay far away from anyone with it carrying lysol with me. I harp on the kids about hand washing, hygiene, hand sanitizer, and steering clear of anyone coughing, sneezing or showing signs of illness. If someone in the family does get sick I have minimal contact with them and make sure to wash bedding daily, spray down things with lysol, and make sure they understand my position. hubby just had a week long bout of infectious diarrhea that we thought was food poisoning. No one else got sick. He rarely leaves the house so is not exposed to whatever might be floating around and if anything sneaks in the house BAM he gets it. So yes, the bout he had does concern me with the thing my leg was doing today and am keeping that all in the back of my mind even though I did not experience the illness personally, I was exposed. Anyhow, good quality vitamins, D3, omegas, low stress, exercise if you can, extra B12, C, healthy eating. Avoid anyone ill, and take normal precautions. Explain to your kids how important it is for them to stay healthy…for their sake AND YOURS!

edited to add…you can get it more than once! You can also relapse.

• Anonymous
      September 20, 2009 at 10:44 am

Whether you decide to get the flu shot is an individual choice and you will find many differing views on the subject, even among doctors. Unfortunately, as with most of our questions and concerns, very little research has been done on this or many other aspects of GBS. Often, all we have to go on is our own experiences and the experience of others who have had GBS.

• Anonymous
      September 20, 2009 at 9:46 pm

After a bout with a “virus” this summer which included a 104* fever and joints that were so stiff I couldn’t lift my arms my nerve tingling, muscle weakness, balance issues, etc. started to reappear. I was freaked out that I may be getting GBS again. Lucky for me my neuro had a cancellation that day and I could get in. After a battery of tests, he concluded that my GBS was not returning but that my nerves were more sensitive than in the past and therefore flare up of symptoms may occur. My point: He did warn me against getting a flu shot or swine flu shot even though he admitted there was no recent evidence that these newer shots cause GBS. Also a note, they give flu shots where I work and last year the poster listing who should [U]not[/U] be getting a flu shot included those with a history of GBS or other neurological disorders. Another note: My Neuro told me that it is extremely rare to truely have a second bout with GBS, but you do have a higher chance than the “general public”.
      Anyway if you constantly dwell on it you can “worry yourself sick”!
      ———————-
      Corinne
      GBS Nov. 2007 and still recovering but up and about

• Anonymous
      September 27, 2009 at 12:23 am

[QUOTE=mochacat]Kristin since you and CEI 121 are an authority on flu shots and have in a round about way say I and others do not know what we are talking about then I will stop posting as you’ll are the one everyone should listen too. I will remove what I have posted so that everyone will know they are getting the right information from you’ll. Bless you (Lakoda)[/QUOTE]

mochacat, don’t you dare leave off posting!
      We’re the injured guinea pigs and we have to keep making sounds of protest, however they are received. 😎