success story

• Anonymous
      August 22, 2006 at 7:12 pm

My daughter was dx with GBS on July 7 (age 19), tingling and dumbness started in her hands and feet on July 1, by July 4 she was having trouble going up stairs, took her to a neurologist on July 7 they did a spinal tap, EMG, blood work, she had no reflexes, coulnd’nt get up on her toes, she was dx that day with GBS (a very mild case), she was hospitalized, we were given the choice to start IVIG or not, the DR. advised against it, he said as long as she could still walk he would not start IVIG. They wanted to keep her for 2 weeks, but after 3 days decided to let her go home, she progressed untill July 22 (she could still walk, but could not stand up without help, or get off the floor by herself, her walk was very wobbly). Today (August 23) she is back to her normal self, she started college yesterday and other than being a little tired she has no side effects. I think we made the right choice not to start IVIG.

• Anonymous
      August 23, 2006 at 6:45 pm

Your daughter’s case sounds a lot like my son’s…. he was diagnosed the third week of June and is now (two months later) doing a light cross country workout. He did have two rounds of IVIG as he was unable to walk, and he spent six days in the hospital. He has a little numbness in his face, but that is really his only residual. Reflexes have returned to normal.

Success Story

• Anonymous
      July 21, 2006 at 12:08 pm

Hi, I would classify my story as a success story, because according to some of the things I’ve read on here, I’m doing SOOO well!! I was only in the hospital plus rehab for 19 days, and today I’ve almost fully recovered except for being tired and no energy, and the pains in my feet. But that is nothing compared to some of the things people are going through, and have gone through. So I consider myself very blessed and am looking forward to the day that I’m back to completely “normal”. It’s good to read some positive stories, it may encourage some others. Thanks for starting this one.
      Piano Woman (By the way, one of the things I was worried about was not being able to play the piano again, but I am playing every day, as well as I ever did, which isn’t saying much, but I’m happy!)

• Anonymous
      July 23, 2006 at 4:07 pm

We love success stories. I am so glad to hear that you are doing better. Take good care of yourself.

Jerimy