Stumbling over your own toes?

• Anonymous
      November 7, 2006 at 6:02 pm

It’s somewhat of an odd coincidence, but my cousin’s wife seem to have contracted CIDP. Her neurologist has dx’d her with “polyneuropathy”, but to me – and of course to her – that’s not good enough!! 😡

Obviously I can give her some information, including internt-links, but one thing that never happened to me, but has scared her quite a few times lately, is that her foot doesn’t turn upward as she takes a new step, with the result that she literally stumbles over her own toes. Is this something that any of you are familiar with?

She is not at home at the moment, but if I can tell her that there are some messages concerning her problem, she will see how this forum works from the first time she pays it a visit!:D

• Anonymous
      November 7, 2006 at 6:14 pm

I believe you will find a lot of us that experience stumbling over our own toes. I fall about once a week and it is because I can’t lift my foot. Called drop foot. When she walks she has to be concious to lift the whole foot but sometimes we forget and think we can lift out toes like we have done all our lives and so we stumble. Thankfully we can walk many cannot. Good luck!!!

• Anonymous
      November 7, 2006 at 6:51 pm

Allaug, I have the same problem. Scares Carol to death when I stumble over a carpet because I wasn’t being careful. I understand this “drop foot” symptom is a weakness in your foot muscles. So far I havn’t fallen yet inside the house, just a couple of times in the grass at our daughter’s house in Denver. That was in spring.

• Anonymous
      November 7, 2006 at 6:59 pm

On behalf of my cousin’s wife – thanks to both of you! I’ve seen this “foot drop” been mentioned quite a lot on the forum earlier now I know what it’s all about. I’ll send her an e-mail about it so she knows the moment she returns from Prague.

• Anonymous
      November 7, 2006 at 9:42 pm

Hello, I have drop foot in both feet. Just tell her to be very careful. I fell 2 weeks after all my physical therapy in the hospital. I broke my ankle in 3 places. I have AFO’s of both feet to keep them up. Careful!!!

• Anonymous
      November 8, 2006 at 7:29 pm

Allaug,

Bad news about your cousin’s wife.

The good news is that the foot drop problem may get better or go away.

I had a problem with foot drop when I was first recovering from GBS, and took a few very nasty falls. Fortunately no injuries beyond some bruises.

Send her my best wishes, and keep us posted.

Suzanne

• Anonymous
      November 9, 2006 at 2:19 am

The good thing about drop foot is the commonality of it. Many CIDPer’s will share the same experience. If she does not get a lot of recovery there is always the option of Ankle Foot Orthotics (AFO’s). They will hold her foot at a cocked up angle so she will be able to walk forward. Many here have dealt with them. I have not yet. I have dealt with the shoe inserts to give extra support. My feet have been getting weaker over time, and I fear that I will be heading in the AFO direction. They are helpful, and an asset when you need them.

The muscles that weaken would be the calf/shin muscles and the ankle muscles. As they get weaker, they no longer support or are able to perform those functions for the legs anymore. Fortunately, Corticosteroids like prednisone really help, and IVIG will also give a “shot in the arm” and help those muscles. It seems like muscle function comes back faster than sensory loss when someone recovers. So hopefully the drop foot will recover for her.

Let’s hope so. If not, there are ways for her to deal with it.

Take care. Hope for the best !!

• Anonymous
      November 9, 2006 at 9:24 am

Yes, seems to be very common. A few weeks ago, I sprained my foot and broke my little toe. Glad but sad to hear I’m not the only one.

Cheers
      Val

• Anonymous
      November 9, 2006 at 10:31 am

I was resistant to the idea of getting a brace, fearing that I’d have some clunky, uncomfortable, embarrassing device. This isn’t the case. The new plastics are thin, lightweight and strong. I have an SMO, which is a good alternative to an AFO when your feet are weakened but foot drop isn’t too pronounced. They give you the support of, say, a high quality boot, and serve as an orthotic at the same time. Few know I even have a brace on, and thats only when I’m sitting down.

I would suggest that anyone who thinks they might benefit from some bracing to just step up and do it! My SFO is actually quite comfortable and gives me considerable support when I’m wearing regular, attractive shoes. One word of caution –they are sort of expensive at about $1000/foot. But then again, many of us are getting $10-15k of IVIG every month, lol.

Helen

• Anonymous
      November 9, 2006 at 11:44 am

I have terrible dropped feet & have had to wear AFOs since I began walking the summer of 2004 (got CIDP in March of 2002, but was in a power chair all that time.) Even with the AFOs, I have broken bones 3 times in my feet. But the last time, Sept 4th, I had tried walking to the bathroom without my AFOs, broke my big toe & the one next to it. Now I know I can’t walk at all without them. I just got new ones, & got the flesh colored ones, fitted by an orthotist at Hangar. In the summer I will just wear flesh colored socks with shorts, when I dress up, I wear an extra pair of thin black nylon socks over them, can’t even tell I am wearing them that way.

• Anonymous
      November 9, 2006 at 6:56 pm

Pam you are lucky you can hide your braces. I was fitted with a whole leg, jointed afo, it also keeps my foot from turning any further. When I went to get it In Sioux Falls, it was done in a “beautiful purplew” with shooting stars. Good thing it is winter and long pants. The grandkids think it is cool, but an old gal like me????? I have to say since getting it, I am now walking (sort of)> Today they started me on a cane (very shakey) but I am so happy as is my PT and also my Dr. Keep working and resting all. Regina

• Anonymous
      November 11, 2006 at 2:29 pm

Allaug,
      Quite surprising news about your cousin’s wife and her ‘polyneuropathy’ diagnosis. I can well imagine your frustration at the limited nature of that diagnosis after your trail and experience.

The frustrating behaviour of our ‘impediments’ as they either fail to receive the intended message or it becomes distorted makes life hair raising at times.
      We have small carpet pieces on floors (a UK practice) and when my feet do not pick up, as I presume they will be doing, then both I and anyone else nearby may be in grave danger. Even more interesting whilst carrying a loaded tray towards a table!:rolleyes: