Stiff Legs?

• Anonymous
      June 26, 2006 at 9:28 pm

After 15 months of having GBS, Ben and I were in a situation over the weekend where we were standing still on concrete for about six hours. When the evening was over, Ben said that his legs were heavy, and he couldn’t bend his knees. He spent the whole next day in bed recuperating. It took about 24 hours to recover, but he’s okay now. Just wondering if this is a common experience among GBSers?

Thanks,

Shannon

• Anonymous
      June 26, 2006 at 9:58 pm

Hey hon,
      u better give Ben a break. Draggin him off to concerts, and such, he just can’t take it. Suck it up Ben. ๐Ÿ™‚ Butt, I don’t blame ya. Go for some sympthany vote. ๐Ÿ˜€ I would. ah wat was the question anyway? Oh, I remember stiff and heavy. * scratches head*
      other than that…

ps
      git u a chair and go to the front, then u kids can watch the devil close. *grins evily*
      who u go see anyway, u never said. I promise I won’t laugh.
      when did it go from a concert to a situation? war u drunk an loose?
      24 hrs is a long time to nurse a stiff leg. I think u supposed to call the doc after 4.

• Anonymous
      June 26, 2006 at 11:05 pm

Wow, Shanon, 6 hrs?! After 11 years I surely couldn’t do that. I think that Ben’s legs were indeed protesting! I’m so glad that he has “recovered” but it may have set him back a bit. There are no “double blinds” for this disease, you just have to listen and learn. Each person is unique. I sure hope that both of you enjoyed the “symphony” ~ ha!

• Anonymous
      June 29, 2006 at 8:38 am

I have been five years post GBS and I still feel this way from time to time…his legs/body will tell him when he needs to take it easy.

• Anonymous
      July 3, 2006 at 3:15 pm

Thanks for the responses. We went to see the Black Crowes. We were three rows from the front, but we had to stand through three bands. We saw SheDAISY yesterday, but didn’t have to stand for too long. We’ll be seeing the Dixie Chicks and Celtic Women this summer too, but we’ll be able to sit! No symphonies here!

Shannon

• Anonymous
      July 4, 2006 at 6:18 am

Celtic Women ~ yes! Will you be including my fav “Il Divo” or “Josh Groban”?? ๐Ÿ˜‰

• Anonymous
      July 7, 2006 at 10:08 pm

Haha, Judi, doesn’t look that way! I’m hoping to see Keith Urban in Wisconsin though, but he’s playing next week, and I haven’t requested any time off work!

• Anonymous
      July 10, 2006 at 1:48 pm

Seems that NOISE is an enemy that challenges me often. I have not been able to go see a movie or go to a concert. TOO LOUD! ๐Ÿ˜ฎ

Might consider a wheel chair when going to be standing for a long time. Gives the GBS’er a place to sit and the Caregiver a place to lean on. ๐Ÿ˜€

I also have a handicap sticker for my car also. Saves me those extra steps that take all the energy out of me before I get there!

Enjoy your Summer!:cool:

• Anonymous
      July 10, 2006 at 3:53 pm

I’ve been back at work full-time since Dec/04, and Sat. before last I made the mistake of taking the girlfriend to Six Flags. After walking around all day, I was noticeably tired and stiff, but then again who isn’t after walking around a theme park for 6 hours? Everything was bearable until I got on the “Deja Vu”, a roller coaster that takes you up 150 feet or so (facing the ground), then SLAMS you down at about 80 mph, through the upside down turns . Then it stops, and you do it backwards. I haven’t been on a roller coaster in 15 years, almost passed out, and felt something “pop” in my head. WHAT was I thinking? I had a bad headache the rest of the day, and the next morning, I could barely walk because my legs and feet were so stiff and sore. I know the GBS noticeably took some strength out of me, and I had no business going there in the first place. GBS or old age, I’m not the same at 33 as I was at 18.

Roller coasters & lots of walking= bad.
      Sitting on the beach & swimming in the ocean= good.

• Anonymous
      July 10, 2006 at 5:24 pm

next time get a wheelchair or scooter for the park. it did wonders for me last week at Cedar Point. i went on 2 roller coasters-first time in a long time! i have not had too much bad side effects from our day long excursion.

• Anonymous
      July 11, 2006 at 4:12 am

Yeah I ryn ibno that if walking too longs and tyhen I get the revberating legs – yuk

Sue