SSDI, SSI, Unemployment Insurance and CIDP

• Anonymous
      April 19, 2008 at 6:16 pm

I have started the process of applying for SSDI. I was fired from my last job on March 20th for missing too much work (scheduled twice a month IvIG and other Dr. appointments). I applied for and recieve unemployment insurance from the state and because of my CIDP, diabetes, Coronary Artery diesease, and congestive heart faulure, finding, much less holding onto a job has become very difficult.

SSI only will pay me about $600 monthly, which is not near enough to pay my bills. Also, when I call in my weeks of unemployment, one of the questions they ask on the automated system is “were you physically able to work during the time period?”. I feel that while i may think that i may qualify as disabled according to the SSA, it’s not for me to say just yet that I am NOT physically able to work (until the SSA say I am disabled), so I tell them that yes i am able to work. Am
      I on shakey ground? I can’t make it on just SSI until i get approved for SSDI, so at the moment i have decided not to apply for SSI as I understand it, I can’t get both SSI and unemployment insurance.

Please comment! Thanks!

• Anonymous
      April 20, 2008 at 2:44 pm

You are disabled. How many people are in your family? Your ability to get other assistance besides SSI depends on your income and where it falls in regard to the poverty line. If you are not single you might be able to get food stamps and other aid including medicaid.

You’re in a messed up situation. You could apply for SSDI while you still are receiving Unemployment Insurance payments and tell the SSA that you are unable to find any work with the restrictions you have- being bedridden etc. What I’d suggest is calling your local social services office and asking to talk to a social worker or anyone who could possibly help you, BE NICE AS YOU CAN- These people are generally abused by aholes all day long everyday and 99% of them are willing to help people truly in need- a little appreciation goes a looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong way. I can’t tell you how much help I’ve gotten from people who I stated my case to in a nonhostile manner and being really respectful to them. Tell the social worker your situation and ask her(will most likely be a female) what you should do. A person who works in the system will know best what you should do. I think there is room for you to still apply for SSDI while getting unemployment- being physically able to work is a broad question – you could physically be able to do some very light restrictive work but not be able to do your previous job which is what SSA calls being disabled – being no longer able to do what you used to and not having a good chance at anything lucrative. The social worker you talk to should give you better advice.
      You need to apply asap because it could take awhile to get approved or denied and if you get denied you’re gonna need a lawyer(they work on 5 or 10% commission max) and it could drag out.
      Good luck – I hope it works out.

• Anonymous
      April 23, 2008 at 1:18 pm

Thanks for the response. I am single and always have been and i live alone. My sister has CIDP also, as well as a slew of other medical complexities and she recieved her SSDI on the first try. That is what I am hoping for as she has helped others that have also gotten their approval on the first go-round.

I no longer feel conflicted regarding collecting the unemployment insurance while waiting for the SSDI. I have now talked to a couple of people that have done the same thing. I’m here at the library right now collecting the names and phone numbers of all of the dr.s and hospitals that have treated me over the last 5 years or so. I still need to get my copy of my birth certificate and fill out the form 3368 or whatever it is (the 10 page form) and then I should be good to go.

Again, thanks for the response. I will try to get in contact with a social worker and see what else, if anything, I can do.

• Anonymous
      April 27, 2008 at 1:59 am

If you can, call every one of those doctors and request for them to send you copies of all your medical records and tests. Some doctors actually refuse to fill out Social Security paper work. Others can be slow to send in forms or records. I had one university not send anything to the person handling my case. Get the records and make a copy of them and send them in along with the questionairre they will give you to fill out when you are contacted by your state’s investigator/claim handler. This makes it easier for the doctor reviewing your case to say if you are medically eligible or not. I personally think the reason most people are denied is because they don’t send in records or the right records. They are looking for whether or not you could do the job you used to do or are likely to find some other kind of work easily along with severity of illness. The SS website has documents with lists of approved illnesses – CIDP isnt on there by name but a blanket peripheral neuropathy is listed and that covers CIDP as long as the “SEVERITY” is there.

Since you are a loner you aren’t likely to get any additional help from food stamps or SSI as long as you are getting unemployment. Try medicaid out though- they might have a plan for disabled persons who aren’t below the poverty line there in Texas.
      Sorry to hear about your sister. Never heard of siblings having CIDP? Did something environmental cause it for you guys? Good luck and I hope your financial and health situation improves.