ssalin02

• Anonymous
      September 18, 2007 at 1:44 pm

My father was put in the hospital on Aug 15, 2007 and diagnosed with GBS. He was doing pretty good when he was first admitted. He was put in ICU on the 16th for 5 days to do the blood “cleansing” procedure then transferred out of ICU on to the 6th floor and it seems like ever since that he started having complications one right after another. He was having good days and bad days of course, but he also has a lot of family support. My sister and I are the decision makers on anything concerning him, but like Lrf had stated these are tuff decisions. Well on Sept 9th my sister received a call at 11:32pm from Dr. Oula and he said that your dad went into cardiac arrest. My sister)asked how and he said that he went to his room at 8pm to speak to my aunt about the muscle relaxer that the nurse stated that she had given him the morning before and that’s when he found my dad grasping for air and called a code blue. She then called the rest of our family and we all went up there. Then the ICU doctor came out about 2am and said that they finally got him stable but couldn’t get him stable enough to do a CT Scan because so they would have to wait till that day sometime. We asked the ICU doctor what happened and the doctor said he just got him and didn’t know that much except that Dr. Oula found him and that we would have to speak to Dr. Oula so that morning Monday Sept 10th Felisha called the 6th floor twice to have him paiged and continue to have him paiged. We have not heard anything back as of yet. Anyways, he is still in ICU on the ventilator and is able to respond with mouth movement but that’s it. It frustrates him and us as well. This is a very emotional time for our family right now, but I feel that the nurses and doctors aren’t doing all that is suppose to be done. He now has a blood clot in his right arm and the doctors just found that out on Thursday which they were suppose to already have done the sonogram. Anyways, please give me any feedback or suggestions. Anything is helpful at this time. I just wonder how long this will go on. We don’t know what to do anymore besides pray and have faith.

• Anonymous
      September 18, 2007 at 2:04 pm

I am so sorry to hear of the complications your father is having.

How old is he and did he have any other heath problems before onset of GBS? Have you spoke with the Charge nurse? You can also go to the hospital administrator if the doctor is not returning your calls. Has he dealt with other with GBS? You can always ask for another opinion.

I will keep you in my prayers.

• Anonymous
      September 18, 2007 at 2:30 pm

Wow, you all have really been through a hard time lately. Is your father still getting worse? If so, you can ask to have him get IVIG even though he’s already had plasmapheresis. If he didn’t respond well to the pp, then he might still have a shot with the IVIG.

Also, regarding the blood clot, is your father not already on blood thinners as a preventative measure? When I was put into the hospital for GBS, even before the paralysis set in I was put on blood thinners just to make sure no clots formed as I got more sedentary.

Your father also should have been wearing a heart monitor the moment he was dx with GBS, as GBS can affect not only the breathing muscles but the heart muscles as well. The whole autonomic nervous system is vulnerable to attack and confusion. Once again, I was suited up in a heart monitor the moment I got into the hospital, and I think this is standard practice if your doctor knows what s/he is doing.

This is the worst of it right now, seeing the deterioration happening and not knowing how bad it will get, and how quickly or how much he will improve once the worst is over. Please try to hang in there and be strong for your father, and don’t be afraid to push to get him what he needs. Your dad needs you and the rest of your family to be his advocates right now, and I applaud you for coming online and finding this forum, trying to get the information and support that you need to be there for your dad the best you can.

Best wishes to you and your father.

• Anonymous
      September 18, 2007 at 2:48 pm

He is 53yrs old and he has diabetes. We have spoke to the chief of the hospital and the charge nurse and actually the supervisor over the nurses called me back yesterday and said she would have him paiged first thing this morning and still no response. Thanks for keeping us in your prayers cause that’s what we need right now.

• Anonymous
      September 18, 2007 at 2:49 pm

I Am Sorry To Hear About Your Dad Keep Supporting Him I Will Pray For You And Your Dad Roy

• Anonymous
      September 18, 2007 at 3:00 pm

[QUOTE=KarmaCat]Wow, you all have really been through a hard time lately. Is your father still getting worse? If so, you can ask to have him get IVIG even though he’s already had plasmapheresis. If he didn’t respond well to the pp, then he might still have a shot with the IVIG.

Also, regarding the blood clot, is your father not already on blood thinners as a preventative measure? When I was put into the hospital for GBS, even before the paralysis set in I was put on blood thinners just to make sure no clots formed as I got more sedentary.

Your father also should have been wearing a heart monitor the moment he was dx with GBS, as GBS can affect not only the breathing muscles but the heart muscles as well. The whole autonomic nervous system is vulnerable to attack and confusion. Once again, I was suited up in a heart monitor the moment I got into the hospital, and I think this is standard practice if your doctor knows what s/he is doing.

This is the worst of it right now, seeing the deterioration happening and not knowing how bad it will get, and how quickly or how much he will improve once the worst is over. Please try to hang in there and be strong for your father, and don’t be afraid to push to get him what he needs. Your dad needs you and the rest of your family to be his advocates right now, and I applaud you for coming online and finding this forum, trying to get the information and support that you need to be there for your dad the best you can.

Best wishes to you and your father.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the advice and I will definately ask about the IVIG. Also, once he had the plasmapheresis and was moved to a regular room they took the heart monitor off they just had the oxygen there when he needed it. They found out Thursday that he had the blood clot in his right arm and then started the blood thinner. How long ago was it that you had it and how long did it take you to recover? Also, he was actually doing pretty good when he was first admitted even after the plasmapheresis then when he was moved to the floor it seems like he would get better than worst. My dad is surrounded with so much support and we don’t cry in front of him, but it’s hard to deal with. This is like an emotional rollercoaster. Thanks for your feedback and the more I hear from people that know the more I can tell the doctor what they should try since apparently they don’t know too much about it (so they say anyway)

• Anonymous
      September 18, 2007 at 10:58 pm

ss

One thing you father should be receiving is physical therapy, the therapist should be doing passive movements with his limbs as well as making sure he doesnt get ‘foot drop’.

Is your father still getting worse, or is he stable (besides the heart and blood clot and diabetes)? Im trying to understand what you mean by ‘getting worse’ when he was moved to another floor? It seems by reading your posts that he went off the respirator but is now back on after getting worse again after Plasmapharesis, am i correct in that? The heart and blood clot wouldnt mean he was getting worse, unfortunately it is just a complication of GBS.

I’m sure you are aware that in GBS, the body (myelin sheath and/or nerves) are attacked for up to 4 weeks, however, if the attack continues for longer ….. 4 – 8 weeks they give it the name of SIDP. But you have to [B]understand that in order for it to be SIDP, the symptoms will have to get WORSE between that 4 – 8 week period[/B], in which case another Plasmapharesis course or an IVIg couse can be done. It is very difficult to tell if phasmapharesis or IVIg hasnt helped because it isnt supposed to ‘make him better’, its just supposed to try and stop further attack and help in recovery further down the line. I know its hard to understand, and I am not the best at explaining things 😮 .

• Anonymous
      September 19, 2007 at 11:03 am

[QUOTE=ali]ss

One thing you father should be receiving is physical therapy, the therapist should be doing passive movements with his limbs as well as making sure he doesnt get ‘foot drop’.

Is your father still getting worse, or is he stable (besides the heart and blood clot and diabetes)? Im trying to understand what you mean by ‘getting worse’ when he was moved to another floor? It seems by reading your posts that he went off the respirator but is now back on after getting worse again after Plasmapharesis, am i correct in that? The heart and blood clot wouldnt mean he was getting worse, unfortunately it is just a complication of GBS.

I’m sure you are aware that in GBS, the body (myelin sheath and/or nerves) are attacked for up to 4 weeks, however, if the attack continues for longer ….. 4 – 8 weeks they give it the name of SIDP. But you have to [B]understand that in order for it to be SIDP, the symptoms will have to get WORSE between that 4 – 8 week period[/B], in which case another Plasmapharesis course or an IVIg couse can be done. It is very difficult to tell if phasmapharesis or IVIg hasnt helped because it isnt supposed to ‘make him better’, its just supposed to try and stop further attack and help in recovery further down the line. I know its hard to understand, and I am not the best at explaining things 😮 .[/QUOTE]

I’m sorry I guess I didn’t explain myself correctly about my father’s condition. He was in ICU and was stable and doing pretty good, then once he was moved to a regular room he was doing good about the first week. After that he would have a few good days but mostly bad days. Then he started getting worst especially with his breathing and he started using the oxygen machine more. On Sunday Sept 9th is when the family agreed that there was something wrong with his breathing and my aunt was the last one to leave at 7pm and he went into cardiac arrest at 8pm. He was never put on the respirator until after he Sunday. The only thing that our family knows about GBS is what the doctors have told us and what we have researched on the internet which is really just the basics. My father as of yesterday was having a better day and actually moved his leg up for the therapist and my sister said that he actually looked alot better. Have you had this disease before? Also, have you know any cases that have resulted in death? I hate asking that question and I have confidence that he is going to pull through this just fine, but I guess we don’t have a whole lot of information and I’m glad that I have joined this forum so that I’m actually chatting with people that have had it or know someone that has had it. It seems like everyone we talk to hasn’t heard or it or it’s very rare and they don’t have too much information on this disease.

• Anonymous
      September 19, 2007 at 2:12 pm

ss,

Yes, I have had GBS, everyone on the forum has either had it or is a care giver of someone who has had GBS or CIDP. There is so much information on the Forum so im glad you found it.

The fact that your father moved his leg is a realy good sign, this may well be the very start of a loooong, slow recovery. Remember that it is long and slow and doesnt return to almost normal overnight. Was your father put on the respirator after he had his cardiac arrest. It is possible to go into cardiac arrest with GBS, but not that common – I’m just trying to understand why the doctor said he was gasping for air, diagnosed him as having cardiac arrest, ant then put him on a respirator (if thats the way i understand it). It just sounds more like respiratory failure they way its been explained. But as people have said before, they should have been monitoring him, hooked up to monitors all the time.

There are about 2% of cases that end in death, however it is often from complications due to GBS. Unfortunately so many doctors have never seen GBS and that is why the forums are so great in finding out exactly what patients who have been affected have to say.

• Anonymous
      September 19, 2007 at 2:34 pm

He went into cardiac arrest because one of his lungs collapsed and then the doctors had to ressessitate him and get him stabilized. The family had seen him having breathing problems and then the doctor walked in about 8 that evening and found him gasping for air. Really we don’t know the real story behind that one. Thanks for all of your feedback and this forum has become very helpfull and resourceful for me. Now we he is taken off the respirator I kinda know what to expect be done and what to question.

• Anonymous
      September 19, 2007 at 4:03 pm

ssalin02 I am glad that you have found this forum and that your Dad is already showing signs of the GBS starting to reverse, with the movement of his leg. Sounds like the caregivers need a little support here too! This is a very varied illness and it has many variants, so everyone’s case is different but it sounds like you Dad is getting the care he needs. They are aware of the IVIG and the PlasmaPhresesis used for stopping the progression of the attack on the myelin sheath. Your Dad has progrogressed just about paralell to my case. I had the colapsed lung and my EKGs are not normal since I had the GBS. I had ventilators and traches fail. It is very scarey for the family and the patient. I can tell you that not being able to talk is very frustrating and on this site you can send for information for Caregivers, About the GBS and in the store what is available for the GBS patients. One thing I would suggest that if he is not able to speak to get the cards that will help you communicate. Be very possitive and keep humor as part of his very day. Print things out from this board and read them to him also. As GBS retreats it will be a very slow process and the last things to heal are usually the first things that were effected. Usually the numbness in the hands and feet. The nerves repair the sheath at a very slow pace and depending on his height he will take longer than I am to heal. I am on my 23 month of recovery and I able to do just about everything but slowly and I have to concentrate! I still get tired when I do too much. Continue to post and ask any question you can think of. We are here to support you and your family as much as you need. Also thru the foundation you can contact a Liason in your area if you think their visit would help your Father understand he will get better. I agree with the others rehab is very important but REST is also more important. Horizontial REST will help the nerves heal…..exercise will help the muscles gain strenght…but it is important that rehab finds the correct balance between the two or he could relapse and have a bad few days from over doing it and he must communicate with them and listen to his body! Tell him you don’t want to walk a mile showing off your new found independence because you have to walk back that same distance! If he has pain make sure that is addressed too! Was he put on a stomach tube? GBS=[B]G[/B]etting [B]B[/B]etter [B]S[/B]lowly. Did he have his eyes effected? Also don’t panic if he does get pneumonia they will be watching for any signs of that since his hospital stay is longer. Stay well yourself too!

• Anonymous
      September 20, 2007 at 9:43 am

Thanks for the resourceful information. My dad actually had a good day yesterday. I went to see him and he didn’t get frustrated easily and i guess cause I’m starting to understand him more. Anyways, I told him about this forum and told him alot of the information that i have received from everyone and told him just to positive because he was going to pull through like the others did from the forum. Anyways, he wasn’t put on a stomach tube and I don’t think his eyes were affected or atleast he hasn’t said anything about them. The were red alot and had gunk in them alot at first, but now they are very clear and seem to be focused.

• Anonymous
      September 20, 2007 at 9:50 am

When does the doctor decide it will be okay for my dad to go home and once he is discharged is their additional help that is provided to him or does he go home with a family member?

• Anonymous
      September 20, 2007 at 9:31 pm

‘When does the doctor decide it will be okay for my dad to go home’ too many variables for me to answer.

‘once he is discharged is their additional help’ you can take him home, hire or not hire help or put him in post hosp rehab. i recommend the former. take care. be well.

gene gbs 8-99
      in numbers there is strength

• Anonymous
      September 21, 2007 at 5:44 am

I was lucky I was transferred to a larger hospital that had the PP treatment that I needed and then after I was let go from ICU and all those steps I went to a floor in the same hospital that was not owned by the hospital that took care of people that had traches. There they gave me OT and PT to make sure I was able to do the important things like roll over, sit and stand. I had to be able to feed myself and wash my face because the feeding myself process was not pretty! Comb my hair and brush my teeth. There they weaned me off the trache but did not remove it or the feeding tube yet. They made sure all my systems started to come back and were functioning normally and that my swallowing continued to get stronger. It was very hard for me to chew my soft food without falling asleep in the middle of the meal. I would be exhausted. I made progress each day and finally got to be tested to see if I could take a few steps. They told me that 3 steps were required to go to the rehab floor. They got me doing that many and my hope through the holidays were up. Then they increased that goal to 10 steps to get transferred. I was so upset with them I could have walked or hi jacked a wheel chair right to the lobby and called myself a taxi! So they gave me a few more days and tested me again not in my room but gave me the whole hallway to prove I could walk those 10 steps! I was determined that day! They transferred me from the wheelchair to the walker/frame to stand and then said they would count! Scared? Nope! PETRIFIED! I remember hearing each step be counted off out loud. one..two..three..eight..nine..ten..you can keep going if you feel you want to…..twenty..twentyone..twentytwo..twentythree..twentyfour..I told them I was not going for a record and wanted to sit down to rest. I had done my tens steps under the watchful eye and support of my Dream Team and then every nurse, aid and staff member that was on that floor come to help me celebrate. I heard a few praise me and congratulate me and as I rested I tried not to break down with all the emotions I was feeling. I knew I would not be home for Christmas but I would be able to return home soon! I just had to get to the next level of rehab in the gym! I had no idea what that meant! I was ready for anything that day! After I rested I walked another 30 steps and the floor broke out in cheering and laughing and crying! I was ready to head for the elevators! Again, I was not ready to break any records but did not want to have them up the goal again for getting into the rehab floor. They were trying to determine if I should go into an other facility that was more of a convalasant home then rehab or another facility that was well known in the area for their long term rehab program. That next week I was moved to intense rehab in the same hospital. It was very hard, but now more than ever tasting my freedom and independance from that hospital I was READY! I had to be able to do 6 steps, get into a tub since I did not have a walk in shower. I had to be able to walk twice the distance of my house which was 80 feet. So I could walk to the bathroom and back to the bed or couch. They had to see what my abilities were so they knew what kind of equipment to send home with me to make my life easier. Slow process but they knew what they were doing! After I come home they arranged for a nurse to visit several times a week, Occupational Therapy to visit a couple of times a week to make sure I had not run into something I tried to do that they did not think about teaching me! Physcial Therapy to get me moving more and more. Teaching me other ways to do things until I was strong enough to do it correctly. Making sure I was able to use all the tools they sent me home with. Things to help put on my socks, pull up my clothes, get things from high places, low places and to make sure I was doing what they said I had for homework. They made me do the steps and even took me for a walk in the neighborhood to see a friend that had just had knee surgery! Oh I was so proud of myself! They continued visits until I was able to drive myself a short distance to the local rehab facility where they got serious and made me a gym rat! Again OT and PT and massage and visits to their complaint department to VENT! Once again they knew I was ready for the next level when I started to feel well enough to complain! 😮
      This was a slow process and many have done it quicker. You do what you have to do as I say! Everyone is different but we all have the same goals in mind. I was working out in the pool and that is where I felt I had freedom that is hard to describe. I was returning to the same room where I had friends in the aqua aerobic classes I used to take. I was in the heated rehab pool but we all could laugh together as we all exercised. I felt “normal” was coming back! That whole Summer of 2006 was slow going and progress was there, just slower. Summer of 2007 has been the best so far! I still am trying to build up my strenght in my back, hips and upper legs. GBS has shown me how to have patience and enjoy another side of life that I had a tendancy to rush past before! Also, I now have a very large family here that I can enjoy sharing stories with! Tell your Dad to do his BEST and be honest, they can make sure they provide assistance and do the REST. Oh REST that is still the dominate factor in my life, but I have it down to only ten hours of sleep a day now! Stress to your Dad that he gets his REST! I think his progression has come along very well so far. It is frustrating, watch for depression and as his advocate ask many questions. He will find how lucky he is to have a girl friend that can help with just minor things that are necessary each day. They will work it out! People will realise they need more help now than ever. As a caregiver make sure you take care of yourself too! Be Well!

• Anonymous
      September 21, 2007 at 11:22 am

Thanks and this really helps alot!!! That is a long slow process, but you made it, congratulations. He has actually been looking pretty good the last 2 days. Yesterday my sister went to see him and called me and said daddy looks and acts like his normal self except he is just hooked up to the machines. He also looked like that on Wednesday when I went up there. I was actually able to talk to him and him respond by lip movement without getting frustrated with me. I had told him that I joined this forum and explained some of the cases I have read about and responses that I have received and I didn’t tell him anything negative only positive. I told him these are people that have had GBS and now they are able to type on a computer to tell about it so I know you will get through this and we are here to support you and he shook his head yes. He’s coming back to himself!!!! I know on Tuesday he didn’t have a good day at all because he was telling my sister to take off the machine and do things that the doctors wouldn’t allow and she kept telling him no. He got mad and cursed her out and told her to leave and she walked out for about an hour until he calmed down. The part that hurts the most is some of the hateful things that he tells us and not just me and my sister but the family as well. My dad doesnt curse well put it to you this way he doesn’t curse to or around me and my sister anyways and hearing some of the words that has come out of his mouth is just not right and hurtful. I know we can’t take it to heart but it’s really hard to deal with it and to not be hurt because of it. I’m going up there this evening and i’m just hoping and praying that he is still having a good day like yesterday.

• Anonymous
      September 23, 2007 at 8:36 pm

Can anyone tell me anything about the trache after being taken off the ventilator? Currently the doctor is still trying to wein my father off of the ventilator and they say that he is progressing. Anyways, he looks alot better, now I’m just concerned about the trache. We don’t know too much about it and the doctor had asked my dad if he wanted to have a trache inserted? He said yes but I don’t even think he understands what it is. he just knows or thinks that he will get off of the ventilator if they put a trache on him. Me or my sister didn’t get to the hospital till this afternoon after the doctor had already left. Anyways, from the information that my sister gathered from my dad’s girlfriend’s family was that the doctor said he had talked to my dad about the trache and he wants to do it so they will probably do it soon and the way that they talked was that it will be permenant. Anyways, if anyone has any resourceful information and can explain it to me i would appreciate it. These doctors don’t really explain things right to us and this isn’t the first time either. Well also before my father had went into cardiac arrest we the whole family had talked about having him transferred to Parkland Hospital which is one of the best hospitals in Dallas because we don’t feel that my dad was getting the proper care and attention and we as the family had several complaints about the way things were being handled. He is at the Veterans Hospital right now and in ICU and that department is taking very good care of him and I have no complaints but when he was on the floor it was like the nurses forgot about him. I will just tell a few things of what has happened cause I could write a story. He didn’t have a bowel movement for 9 days and I had to basically be rude to the doctor and tell him to do something about it then he ordered an enima and 45 min later he went to the bathroom. Well that should have happened after the first few days. Then the nurses let him sit in his bowel for up to 30min stating that they were short staffed. My dad had a call button on his cheek and called one of the nurses about his leg massagers hurting too bad if she could maybe take them off for about 5 mins and she was very rude to him, grabbed his call button and threw it (there was another patient in the same room with him that witnessed it). They wouldn’t put him in his cardiac chair stating they weren’t licensed to do it which when I talked to the Chief of Staff said that wasn’t true and we gave him the name of 2 nurses that said that. My dad would tell us not to say anything because he had to stay there and when we left he would have to deal with it. There’s more but I’m going to stop right there. Anyways, my dad doesn’t have any money and is a veteran so everything is paid for at the VA cause he’s a veteran and i think that is his main concern about going anywhere else. My question is should we tell my dad that we want him transferred and let him make a decision? We don’t want to stress him but don’t know what to do? Please tell me anything that will help us make a decision.