Social Security Disability

• September 26, 2017 at 12:43 pm

I am wondering if anyone has been successful in getting approved for SSD. I have 40 years of work on the books and was just recently laid off. I find the pain in my feet and weakness in my arms and legs very bad. I am still in the process of getting a diagnosis and have not yet started any treatment. Still need to see second doctor next week at Weill Cornel and I have to get my spinal tap scheduled. I feel like there is no way I can work feeling this bad. Just wondering if SSD is possible…even if I am still functioning with difficulty.

• GH
      September 26, 2017 at 2:04 pm

I had no trouble getting SSD, but I had just recently been discharged from hospital, could barely walk with a cane, had noticeable tremors, and was only a year and a half from the full retirement age of 66. Being close to retirement age helps. You also have to be able to document your medical condition. It may be a little too early for you.

I got state disability before I qualified for SSD. The state program was limited to one year. If your layoff was related to your medical condition, that may be an option.

• October 1, 2017 at 1:37 am

I was awarded SSDI on reconsideration. Which was only 10 months from my onset of GBS. In my case there is extensive axonal nerve damage and when I asked for my application for disability my neurologist had diagnosed that as a result of damage extending beyond the nerve coating to include the axons. She also detailed the damage to my bladder and bowel.And that the damage is permanent. As a result Social Security sent me for an independent exam by a doctor they selected. They approved me all the way back to onset. Then two years after onset they added Medicare. So yes you can succeed in getting disability But as was mentioned you may need time for your diagnosis and residuals to become clearer. But you can apply now so you have started the process since if you are ultimately approved you could be paid back to onset or the date you first applied. Be aware there is no slam dunk And if denied don’t dispair just go thru whatever you have to do. Esp if it becomes clear you will be unable to go back to work in a real and productive way. BTW I was 51 when approved. Take care DB

• October 1, 2017 at 1:42 am

Also be careful of who you ask for information from. While friends and family will mean well. Inaccurate info can cause you your case And or greatly delay the approval process. Medicare.gov is a good place to start Also a disability attorney will be glad to provide info and can deal with the application. DB

• October 1, 2017 at 7:52 am

If you have not yet, check YouTube for videos about applying for SSDI. There are several from my state’s Department of Education and Economic Development, so there are likely to be some for others.
      Now I need to look for some videos on how to survive and thrive on very little $$.

• October 1, 2017 at 6:34 pm

. You also have to be able to document your medical condition. It may be a little too early for you.

To the OP, as you have no DX nor started TX, I agree with GH it may be too early. Not necessarily for this condition, but I have known some that required multiple applications, appeals, lawyers, etc. On the other hand, others submitted info themselves and were approved on the first attempt.

Best of luck.

• October 21, 2017 at 12:10 am

I was successful first time filling. A word of caution when filling out the paperwork. When you answer the questions regarding physical abilities, answer honestly but use your worst days to describe your limitations. Your doctor has to be very specific in his/her documentation of your limitations, so make sure your these are well documented in your medical records.