Soap in bed for cramps?

• Anonymous
      April 27, 2010 at 2:50 pm

An article in my local paper written by a Dr. Gott recommends putting a bar of Ivory Soap between the sheets next to your legs to help with leg cramps. Google – Dr. Gott soap cramps- for info. Quote from article:

“Some individuals who have successfully tried this technique note that the soap has to be Ivory whereas others say it doesn’t matter what kind you use. The bar of soap should be replaced once a month. Others recommend that you actually rub the soap on your legs before going to bed to prevent cramps. Some choose to sleep with the soap under their pillow if they are having aches and pains in the upper area of their body. There are claims that the soap method also helps quell rheumatoid arthritis pains. Those suffering from restless leg syndrome have also found relief by using this technique, notes Dr. Gott.”

It might be a placebo effect, but I have not had any cramps since I put the soap between the sheets! 🙂

• Anonymous
      April 27, 2010 at 4:53 pm

I read the article by Dr. Gott and told my friend. She used a bunch of the little bars she had gotten from hotels…no particular brand. And success the first night. That was a year ago and I told her to take them out and see if she still needs them. We have stabilized her blood pressure and thyroid with supplements. But she refuses to take them out!!! So…she did not use Ivory, did not replace them. and did not rub them on her legs. But everyone is different. And NO side effects!! That is the best part. I do not believe it is the placebo effect…..because if something is not working, she tells me.

• Anonymous
      April 27, 2010 at 7:18 pm

I read this and when I was pregnant for selah, I did the soap thing and it worked. My gyne also recommended that I eat a banana very day as it may mean that you are potassium deficeint. My husband thought it was crazy, but all i cared was that it worked!!!!!! Best wishes with it. P.S. I love Dr. Gott.

• Anonymous
      April 28, 2010 at 1:28 pm

Going out to buy a bunch of Ivory soap.

If all else fails my bed will smell nice and fresh! 😀

I’ll keep you posted!

Rhonda from Canada

• Anonymous
      April 28, 2010 at 4:10 pm

Rhonda,
      I have read that any type of soap works…..why not just try using the kind of soap you have in your cupboard……if it doesn’t work, then try the Ivory. I would have remembered Ivory if I had read it…..because it is such a harsh soap that a lot of people are allergic to.

• Anonymous
      May 3, 2010 at 6:23 pm

I have MS and my husband has CIDP. I have slept with a bar of ivory soap in bed for the past 4 nights, and have had the best sleeps in months. I suffer from muscle spasms and generally wake up every two hours–not so with the soap. Hubby experiences restless legs, and he has felt no benefit per se, but hasn’t had an episode of the restless legs since using the soap. Maybe I am the personally type to be brainwashed , but so far so good.

• Anonymous
      May 4, 2010 at 3:45 pm

I am confused…where do you put the soap, next to your legs/arms, under your pillow, under your sheet? Wouldn’t it fly around the bed every time you move??

• Anonymous
      May 5, 2010 at 12:47 am

My wife and I keep two bars in our king size bed between the sheets right down by our legs. We adjust them as necessary and I even sometimes rub the bar on my legs before going to sleep. I do not know why, but it works for us! 🙂

• Anonymous
      May 5, 2010 at 1:00 am

I’m going to try this soap remedy [I]tonight[/I]! I wake up several times a night with leg and foot cramps especially if I’ve been up on my feet alot during the day. Soap!!! Who knew? Sure would beat taking meds and suffering side effects. I can use a really good night’s sleep.

• Anonymous
      May 8, 2010 at 2:16 pm

How does this work? What does the soap do to ease the cramps? I was told to drink 8 oz of tonic water before bed. My husband did that for months and it eased the cramps from the chemo. But the soap sounds so much more pleasant. does it have to be ivory? I dont get it. what is the correlation between the soap and the cramps/ I am trying it tonight for sure

• Anonymous
      June 17, 2010 at 12:42 pm

As soon as I read your post I counldn’t get the soap between my sheets fast enough. It was a miracle. That first night no charlie horses in feet, legs, hands & arms. And a good nights sleep. However, the joy faded, but still it wasn’t as bad as usual. The soap is still there.
      Love & gentle hugs, smitty

• June 17, 2010 at 11:12 pm

Same story here, no cramps for 2 weeks, then one or two occasionally, but not as bad as before. Maybe it’s like car insurance, in that you have to change companies every six months, due to rate increases, or in this case, rotate brands of soap, say every month. Think I will give it a try.