Small fiber neuropathy

• Anonymous
      November 8, 2011 at 9:49 pm

Ok so got biopsy report back I tested positive for small fiber neuropathy, can CIPD show small fiber neuropathy? Sjorgens is what my Doctor is leaning towards, but he is not sure, has anyone ever heard of sjorgens being treated with IVIG. I don’t seem to have much symptoms of sjorgens no dry eyes or mouth and sed rate tests are normal? doc said he wants me to have lip biopsy I don’t want to do this, however he said he won’t treat me until he knows what he is treating, fair enough, I am headed to UCLA medical tomorrow. Thanks for any replies, Jan

• November 9, 2011 at 6:51 pm

yes–the p in cidp is for polyneuropathy. Sjrogens was one of the first things my dr suspected too, i did not have the eyes, nose etc symptoms either, just the neuropathy.
      It was ruled out without the lip biopsy. I ended up later on having a sural nerve biopsy at the Mayo clinic to get a definite cidp diagnosis. I figured it would save me in the future from ever having to fight for treatment from my insurance company in the event they ever require it.
      good luck with getting a diagnosis—it can be very frustrating not knowing and going through test after test.

• Anonymous
      November 11, 2011 at 11:13 pm

Sjogrens is one of the most common “tagalong” illnesses, and many inflammatory and autoimmune illnesses can “trigger” Sjogren’s. It’s very common for it to overlap with neuropathies, arthritis, etc. Read a report recently that something like 70 percent of Rheumatoid Arthritis patients also develop Sjogrens.

• Anonymous
      November 12, 2011 at 1:51 am

I asked my neurologist today about small fiber neuropathy (SFN). First, though, a short lesson on nerves. There are several ways to classify nerves, but one way is through size and covering. In this classification, there are three types of peripheral nerves: large fiber nerves, which are always myelinated, and small fiber nerves, some of which are myelinated and some of which are not. The term “small fiber neuropathy”, my neurologist told me, refers to the unmyelinated nerve fibers. If so, then SFN cannot be a subset of CIDP, by definition.

There is some thought that some, but not all, forms of SFN are autoimmune diseases. That would fit with the Sjogren’s.

~MarkEns

• Anonymous
      November 14, 2011 at 12:01 pm

When I was at my worst & inpatient at the Mayo Clinic, I was also tested for Sjogrens with a lip biopsy, it was really a nothing procedure. I was also given a sural nerve biopsy to dx my CIDP. They also did a procedure to remove nerve roots from my back, never heard of anyone having that one done; just think they wanted those nerves for research or something, as I was such a bad case of CIDP. They gave me 3 spinal taps, CT scans, 3 complete sets of MRIs, x-rays, etc. all to rule out any other diseases.

When I switched to the UofMN I was told a spinal tap & an EMG would be all they would have done to dx me. But that is easy to say whn they already had the results of all of the tests I had done at Mayo. Anyways, the lip biopsy was really nothing compared to all of the other tests I had done.