Slow Pupil Response?

• Anonymous
      February 3, 2011 at 9:41 am

I may have asked about this before, but does anyone have a slow pupil response in one or both eyes? I have had a problem with my left eye for years now. Sometimes my pupils are equal, but other times, my left eye is smaller and has a slower response time. I also have a problem with tearing in that eye. My eye doctor doesn’t seem to be concerned. For those new to this forum, I had GBS over 30 years ago.

• Anonymous
      February 3, 2011 at 7:28 pm

Yes – I have slow pupil response. That is just part of my life, now. In the hospital my pupils were totally dialated and stayed that way for many months.

• Anonymous
      February 3, 2011 at 8:42 pm

Thanks Alma. I believe I had GBS with MFV because my cranial nerves were also affected. I had vision problems and could not swallow or talk. At the time, they just said that I had total GBS.

• Anonymous
      February 4, 2011 at 12:57 am

i had gbs in 2006 and i also had – have slow pupil response, i find it difficult to focus with sudden or extreme light changes , ie going from sunny outdoors to dark buildings and vice versa. i also have gotten a prescription for glasses since my gbs for Days when watching tv and my computer are blury. my eye doc said some days i will ahe 20 20 vision some days i wont. go figure ! neurologist sid my eyes are sluggish… frustrating but nothing i can do to change it. dunno if thats helps at all.

• Anonymous
      February 4, 2011 at 10:24 am

Synthia, I have the same thing; a sluggish response. I notice it worse in my left eye. It is most pronounced, as you say, when going into bright light. Like everything else, it is getting worse with age. Thanks for your reply.

• February 5, 2011 at 9:54 am

hey babe

I’m now wearing glasses for reading, computer use which I didn’t pre-gbs. I’m not sure if this is pupil response, but I am more sensitive to bright light as well. I may look silly but even on an overcast day I wear sunglasses and pretty dark ones at that. The sun’s reflection off the snow yesterday immediately caused my eyes to tear. I felt like a vampire.

I hope you are well

• Anonymous
      February 6, 2011 at 11:32 pm

northernguitarguy,
      Just another lousy thing we have to deal with, I guess. I too wear sun glasses a lot.

I am doing okay. How are your hands?

• February 7, 2011 at 10:43 am

Hi BB

The shades ‘look’ is fine with me, but I do get the odd weird look if i am wearing them in a mall. I’m ok with that however, there are probably oddball things I am doing all the time.

My hands are slooooowly feeling better, thank you. I have noticed that they have more strength, but the dexterity still lags. I have been playing a little more, still sounds dreadful, so I mostly play punk, which is supposed to sound well, dreadful:)

Is your pupil problem causing sight issues? I am curious because I think that I had MFS as you suspect too. My balance, eyesight, torso and hands were the hardest hit, perhaps making me a candidate? (does it really matter?) One benefit for me is that Lisa digs the look of my new specs (always good when your better-half digs something!)

I hope you are smiling and having a good day

• Anonymous
      February 7, 2011 at 12:08 pm

I have always been nearsighted, but I find that my eyes get blurry after reading a lot or on the computer. I also have trouble adjusting to light, especially when I wake up in the morning. I can actually see that my left pupil is slower to respond. Several doctors have noticed it, but just kind of shrug and say it must be from GBS. My GBS was total and my autonomic nerves were also affected, as well as cranial nerves. I think I had GBS with MFV. My husband thinks that is what they were told at Hopkins.

I am glad your hands are improving. Having to play punk; you have my sympathies. My son-in-law was in a band before he married my daughter. It was “alternative”. I use to tell him it was an alternative to music.

Have a great day!

• February 7, 2011 at 1:34 pm

[QUOTE=boomerbabe]

I am glad your hands are improving. Having to play punk; you have my sympathies. My son-in-law was in a band before he married my daughter. It was “alternative”. I use to tell him it was an alternative to music.

Have a great day![/QUOTE]

Thanks bb best to you

I sincerely believe the Ramones were one of the greatest bands of all time. I even shook Johnny Ramone’s hand in 1994.

Gabba gabba hey!:)