Shoes for AFO

• Anonymous
      April 2, 2007 at 1:33 pm

I know that a lot of you have AFO’s and Nate is getting fitted for his Thursday.
      It is going from his toes to nearly his knee.
      I would like to know what is the best type of shoe to wear with an AFO.
      Do they need good support or is the AFO going to do all of that?
      Trudy, Natesmom

• Anonymous
      April 2, 2007 at 9:21 pm

Trudy,

When I wore AFO’s I had the best luck with mid or high top shoes rather then a lower on the ankle tennis shoe. Make sure you get the shoes large enough to go over the AFO, I think I ended up 1 size larger then normal. That’s what worked for me but you may want to take Nate out to get shoes when he has the AFO’s just to be certain. Good luck to you guys.

Jerimy

• Anonymous
      April 2, 2007 at 10:39 pm

Jerimy, is it easy to injure joints after you start walking more? It seems like Nate does that a lot lately. First his right ankle, the one with the deformity, then his left knee, now his right knee.
      All he did was stand up and pow. They swell and hurt really bad for days.
      Its frustrating cause he goes to PT tomorrow and probably won’t feel like walking with it hurting.
      Hopefullly it will be better by thursday when he gets his AFO fitted.
      Trudy, Natesmom

• Anonymous
      April 3, 2007 at 9:37 am

I know that I have had a hard time with my joints and also with fractures but I have been on Prednisone 3+ years. Maybe because the joints, muscles etc are weak that is why in Nate’s case. It will get better, slow and easy will make progress, fast and hard can cause setbacks.

Jerimy

• Anonymous
      April 3, 2007 at 4:31 pm

It seems all Nate has to do is stand up the wrong way and he injures himself.
      I’m not sure what he is doing that is causing it to happen.
      I put ice on his knee sunday night, all day yesterday and last night til really late.
      Today its smaller but he still says it hurts like heck to stand on it.
      He skipped PT today cause it hurt too much to move.
      I will see how it is tomorrow and if its not better, I will call his Ortho doc.
      Trudy, Natesmom