Shaky hands

• Anonymous
      November 15, 2008 at 9:31 pm

Lately, my hands have been awfully shaky. Is this just a residual of GBS? I had it in January of this year.

• November 16, 2008 at 3:00 am

I would think so, and I hope so, I have this too, and somtimes it stop my in working and I feel this usaly when Im tierd, but that is not allways the case, what about you?
      xoxoxoxoxo
      Helga

• Anonymous
      November 16, 2008 at 8:54 am

It happens when i am writing or holding something often.

• Anonymous
      November 16, 2008 at 9:17 am

hello everybody

it happens to me as well, I noticed it when writing. I think it happens mostly when I’m physically or mentally tired.

• Anonymous
      November 16, 2008 at 10:13 am

Hi Carolyn,

It’s my opinion that “shaky hands” are a residual of GBS. As mdm stated, the shaking is worse if I’m tired. I’ve also noticed that my hands tend to shake a bit more if I’m stressed or in unfamiliar territory.

At times I try to “concentrate” it away before anyone can notice and ask if I’m okay.

Take care,

Tina

• Anonymous
      November 16, 2008 at 8:16 pm

Hi Carolyn, I too have shaky hands, my left is worse than my right. I am almost a year and a half out. I’m dealing with some stress right now and guessing/hoping it is residuals.

• Anonymous
      November 16, 2008 at 8:40 pm

Hi Carolyn: I have tremors in both hands which have gotten worse with time, and definitely respond to stress. One of my hobbies is listening to a short wave radio and sometimes my hands shake so much I can’t push the damn buttons. My neurologist told me he thought it was residuals and that I would have them for the rest of my life. I also have tremors under my eyes as residuals as well. Jeff

• Anonymous
      November 17, 2008 at 3:51 pm

Hmm, my eye has been twitching the last few days. I wonder if its b/c of the GBS??

• Anonymous
      November 17, 2008 at 11:21 pm

Hi Carolyn! I get the shaky hands too! But that eye twitch I get quite often. It drives me nuts getting too! I have CIDP Lupus and not GBS. Might be GBS but then that eye twitching could also be a vitamin defiency! Might pay to get some labs done just to rule out GBS vs’s something else. Hope you feel better soon! Hugs
      Linda H

• Anonymous
      December 10, 2008 at 2:13 am

Hey, My hands shake too. I had GBS in jan 2004. I have recovered completely from it, but i think their are some residual effects left. When i am physically or mentally tired, it becomes a lot more. My doctors say its normal and would go away with time.

• Anonymous
      December 15, 2008 at 9:41 pm

Both hands are shaky, can’t type as a secretary anymore. GBS 2005

Peggy80

• Anonymous
      December 16, 2008 at 8:30 am

I agree with everyone that it is part of the residuals. If it is something I have for the rest of my life I can accept this small residual, just as I am ready to accept my hands and feet being numb. I am not able to hold a plate with my hand it starts to cramp and it does shake. I don’t really notice it as much in other tasks but when holding a plate I notice I can bounce everything on that plate to one side! I just turn the plate around and bounce it back to the other side and put it down often to avoid the cramping. If I hold my hands out in front of me, I notice my fingers wiggle from side to side too. My Mom has Parkinsons and we put her in charge of milk shakes……hopefully it will be many years before I have to take over her job. She takes medications to control her tremors, I am just not ready yet to being on medications for a slight tremor but those of us that get them all the time. If they effect your life it might be an option, so check with your Doctor. The medications that she takes does not completely take them away just brings the strenght of them down to where she can take a drink without having most of it in her lap or on the floor. Also, try to carry your plate with both hands rather than just one that might stablize it more to keep those spills from happening. It does come in handy when hanging bells on the tree as decorations. Salad dressings don’t separate because you keep them slightly shaken. It is interesting to find out we are not alone and that we all have a few residuals that keep us wondering but don’t let them take over your life. People tell me they never noticed that I have shakey hands when I am doing crafts. I can do pretty intricate work even with the shaking. Yes, it does get worse when I am tired or mentally worn out. I do notice that the residuals do kick up when I am stressed by being in a different enviroment, but that is not going to keep me away from doing things with friends and seeing new things. I do admit I don’t travel alone as much as I used to. That being rattled feeling is not pleasant and I can relax more and listen to my body easier than when I am traveling and on someone elses schedule. Enjoy your Holidays and CELEBRATE!!

• Anonymous
      December 16, 2008 at 6:12 pm

the more tired or taxed i am the more they shake. (GBS Two yrs out) mine are still numb as well.