Severe Hand Pains

• Anonymous
      August 18, 2012 at 6:36 am

Hello,

My mom was diagnosed with GBS about 2-3 weeks ago. She is unable to control from the neck down (with the exception of her forearms and hands), was on oxygen, and had some heart episodes during her Plasma treatment. She has then switched to IVIG treatment. She is still in very severe pain – she is taking Dylaudid, Oxycotin, and Lyrica. And she really cant go much more than 2 hours without the pain coming back.

Recently she’s been in Severe pain recognized with hot/cold (tempature) fluctuations, and tingling in her hands that is extremely painful. They have told us today that these hot/cold symtoms indicate it could be an automic form of GBS. Any insight on this? Did others have this severe hand pain during either the acute/initial stages of recovery?

Any insight is greatly appreciated!!

• August 20, 2012 at 8:18 pm

Hi!

First I am sorry to hear that your mom came down with this. I am 24 years old, and was diagnosed with GBS in Oct 2011, and I still have extreme pain and weakness. Not to say that your mom will have this severe pain as long, for every person’s recovery is different. I can say that I did not experience extreme hand pains in the beginning stages of this. I have experienced extreme hand pain recently in the past 3 or so months, and have been seeing a rheumatologist as well as a neurologist. I had to get an ultrasound on my hands and there is fluid build up; it is a symptom of GBS they said-some people have pain in other places that other people don’t. I would recommend that she sees a rheumatologist if the pain continues to worsen. I pray that she will be on a quick road to recovery! It will be a year for me this Oct, but I am grateful to be alive! Just continue to be positive, uplifting, and helpful during this time 🙂

-Talisa

• Anonymous
      August 21, 2012 at 8:34 pm

Hi Stargirl,

What a good daughter you are! Your mom will probably go through all sorts of pains until the illness stops attacking (mine was 8 weeks). Then there will be a time of recovery – everyone’s recovery level is different. I would suggest reading through old posts on this site to find information that will be good for your mom and YOU! Having support and knowledge will ease  your mother’s worries some. She is not alone in this and you aren’t either. Even with being with the residuals for 15 years now, there is always something new I learn on this site. I hope others can give you more technical knowledge than I can. What state are you in? There are support groups all over the country. Hang in there and keep us posted on how she is doing!

Chrissy

Tagged: