[COLOR=red]It numbs the pain, but it never stops[/COLOR]
      [COLOR=red]So when a fire truck goes by today[/COLOR]
      [COLOR=red]To Heaven above please pray[/COLOR]
      [COLOR=red]A prayer for your local firefighter[/COLOR]
      [COLOR=red]They may save someone you love[/COLOR]
      [SIZE=3][COLOR=red]~Dave Shafto[/COLOR][/SIZE][/CENTER]

• Anonymous
      September 10, 2008 at 5:16 pm

Capt Dave, I just Love Your writings!! Actually, everytime I see a Fireman or Truck, I think Of You, and how much you must miss that Awesome job. I miss seeing you and your firetrucks on here!! I knew You would comeback and post something close to this historical date. Thank You for Being “Our Fireman”, and Thank You to All Your Brother Firemen for putting their Lives on the Line for Us!!!:)

• September 10, 2008 at 5:29 pm

Kevie and I will offer up a prayer or two for our local fireman and those everywhere. a special prayer for you for your courage of today.
      Dawn Kevies mom

• Anonymous
      September 10, 2008 at 5:57 pm

Hi Captain Dave! Thanks….for everything. You may not be out there fighting fires, but you can still fight for what you know is right and that is for all firemen to be safe, respected and valued. My brother has been a fire chief for over 25 years. He just left his job to take on a Deputy position in a larger community and he loves what he does. but he also has his stories and they sometimes break your heart. God bless our firemen and everyone else who serves us is any way so that we may be safe.

• Anonymous
      September 10, 2008 at 6:23 pm

Beautiful poem/writing FiremanDave! Brought tears to my eyes. Stay strong! Thank you and God Bless you and all firemen, policemen, soldiers, men and women who put their lives on the line everyday to serve and protect us.

• Anonymous
      September 10, 2008 at 6:44 pm

Most of my working life has been supporting individuals who are affected by a disability. A few years ago, I had the privilege to taking some of the folks I supported to meet some of our Veterans at coffee in the local Legion Hall. It was just before Remembrance Day here in Canada. I had talked to the guys about what would be appropriate questions to ask. But when we got there, the Vets, who were very gracious, told them to ask any questions they wanted to. Of course, someone asked the question did you see anyone die or did you have to kill someone. My heart sank, but one Vet said it was a good question, and then he started to quietly cry. And he answered the question, telling the young man that peace can only come when we fully understand the horrors of war.

I went home and wrote a poem dedicated to him. I was going to share it with you in November, but considering that tomorrow is 9-11, I thought it might be appropriate here. I hope it does not cause any of you undue pain.

THE VETERAN

A camera
      Rolls across the mind.
      Images dance
      Like demons of the night.

Pain
      Contorts the fragile shield
      Held in place
      By years of practise.

Sorrow
      Wraps wispy arms
      Around a soul
      Grown weary
      From years of carrying
      A burden
      No words can describe.

A misty veil drops
      Over eyes
      Etched
      With memories…
      A single tear
      Traces it’s way
      Over leathery skin.

Solace comes
      From knowing,
      Through our demons,
      Peace
      And freddom
      Shall endure.

-Janet Gulash
      November 8, 1994

• Anonymous
      September 11, 2008 at 7:06 am

Captain Dave
      You are one of our many heroes and I salute you. Of course this date will always leave a tear in our heart but as we move forward we also remember all of those that died protecting and helping others. Some very cold, cruel,heartless people took something valuable from us that day but as Americans we didn’t let them keep it. We have our freedom our safety and our brotherhood and we will always stand proud for each other and defend what is ours. May god bless each and every person in the United States and let them stand tall and be proud of our Great Nation.

• Anonymous
      September 11, 2008 at 9:25 am

Captain Dave,
      Your Poem was so heart felt. Thank You so much for your insight to being a firefighter & how you feel towards all firefighters. A special prayere will be said today for all those fallen on 9/11. Keep your faith & you are an amazing man.
      God Bless!:)

• Anonymous
      September 11, 2008 at 9:29 am

Thank-you Dave! One of my husband’s family members was killed in the World Trade Center. She had two beautiful daughters and a loving husband. She was my husband’s cousin. I never got to meet her but saw a photo of her and it was very hard dealing with myself just knowing that I knew somebody that lost a loved one in those blazing fires.
      I must say that it was the Firefighter’s and the average citizen the first few days doing all the hard work. The first time I had ever seen a city be brought together holding hands and giving comfort and trying their best to save a life, any life! But was hoping for more. That day will stay in my mind forever!
      Every year, on this day. The memories come back and it’s so hard to comprehend why? Why did this happen and what did we do for it to happen?
      Not only did we loose 3000 lives but we have also added on over 4000 soldiers to that list of lives. Not even including those that are badly injured and will never see being normal ever again.
      Your poem was very beautiful and everytime I see a firefighter on this day I appreciate what they all did on 9-11 and even after 9-11. So many lives were changed that day!
      I just hope that we can someday see World Peace again and not see our countries fighting against each other.

• Anonymous
      September 11, 2008 at 12:43 pm

Captain Dave-God Bless you today and everyday. Each night, I pray for the military, the firemen, the police men, and the ambulance crews that work every night to keep us safe. Loved your poem. Take good care….Emma

• Anonymous
      September 11, 2008 at 3:05 pm

My boyfriends daughter had her swearing in ceremony today to join the Ohio Army National guard. She is 17 and a senior in high school but is graduating early and starting training. We are very proud of her and didn’t even give it a thought that she would be swearing in on such a significant date. Between the two of us we have five children and it looks like four of them will be military soon and the fifth is planning on joining as soon as he is old enough. So I guess I should be used to this by now.

• Anonymous
      September 11, 2008 at 7:42 pm

[COLOR=red]Thank you all for kind words. I was mentioned on local TV show today and my local news. Wow my five seconds of fame! I spent the day at the firehouse having lunch and helping them train. It made today a little better.:) [/COLOR]

• Anonymous
      September 11, 2008 at 10:06 pm

That’s Awesome Capt!!!:) Way to go!!

• Anonymous
      September 12, 2008 at 8:02 am

Hi Capt. Dave! Well that was good news being on TV. Makes you feel important when you are recognized. So many rescue teams out there doing their jobs and many never get noticed for what they do. 9-11 though changed that for many. Have a great weekend! Hugs:D

• Anonymous
      September 12, 2008 at 1:16 pm

[B]Thank You Dave for your loving, caring verses that you write every year.

As soon as you sent it to me the other day, I forwared it to all my Firefighter friends and Family and others who know you from here.

It has been a joy having you in my life for all these years David.

I Love You From the Bottom of My Heart. 🙂 [/B]

• Anonymous
      September 12, 2008 at 5:23 pm

[COLOR=red]Thanks “NJ Mom”:cool: [/COLOR]