Running 25 milee per week

• May 11, 2012 at 4:29 am

3 years ago Sunday I took my first steps in an upright walker after acquiring GBS in February of 2009. My last previous steps were on February 28, 2009, as I lunged into a wheelchair in the ER. Ventilated for 3 plus weeks and completely paralyzed for a time, I was peg tube and catheter dependent during most of my 3 month hospital stay. Despite 2 relapses within 4 months of onset, I am now running 25 miles a week and hope to complete my first half marathon next weekend.

Someone described the feeling of being on the vent and unable to move as “buried alive”. Everyday I am thankful that those days are long gone and that my propofol induced dreams are a distant memory. No longer running on empty…

• May 11, 2012 at 9:47 pm

great to hear of recoveries like this 🙂 congratulations!!! i think that is the one gift that will come of this cidp for me—If I am ever able to run again, i will never again take it for granted and run every day.
      good luck with your marathon 🙂

• GH
      May 12, 2012 at 1:55 am

It’s always good to hear a story of recovery. Just walking again in any way after total paralysis is a joy, and every improvement beyond that adds to it. The road back is so long that it’s sometimes discouraging, but sharing your experience lights the way for others behind you. Congratulations!